Author Topic: Elisa Lam - 21 - Vancouver woman missing in Los Angeles - January 31, 2013 - Found Deceased  (Read 38193 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
A coroner should soon have answers. It's too soon to jump to the conclusion that this was foul play. I think she comes across as either drunk or possibly hallucinating. If she was delusional, she could have been a risk to herself. Not a very thorough search of the hotel unfortunately, leading to prolonged uncertainty for her parents.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
from JB:
I saw a woman get onto the elevator, pressed the buttons below and stood back expecting the elevator to do something. Well, she pressed the wrong buttons, and peeked out and went back in and then kept close to the corner, then she stepped out and began to wave her hands.

One thing I did notice was that the cameras kept on shooting, but she never went back in (edited??) The lighting is different from the floor she was on at at the time - checkout the hallway wall, then suddenly the door opens and this hallway is far brighter.  Did the elevator move to another floor and she wasn't on it? 

I had not realized by watching the video footage that the elevator was moving to different floors. I've posted a small paragraph taken from the CTV News article at the link below.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/questions-swirl-after-missing-vancouver-woman-found-dead-at-l-a-hotel-1.1163870

jobo

• View Profile
I noticed that the elevator was moving to different floors on the video link Fridgiebear provided in Reply#30.  Seems to me that Elisa stays outside the elevator and then disappears from view at around 2:28 (I think that is her other foot in the video, as she turns, Fridgiebear).

The doors don't close til around 2:59....and then open several seconds later, does it a few times in the video.....each time a light goes out on the control panel, which tells me the elevator was stopping on each floor below.  And yes, I see a different hallway on one of the floors it stops.  (It would stop on each floor and the doors would open because Elisa pressed each button.)
Am I right by saying she got off the elevator on the top floor?  (judging by the button lights going out as the elevator descends after 2:28.)
I also do not see the elevator move while she is in it...the way I see it, it doesn't move until 2:59.

Does this mean it took the elevator doors 30 seconds to close once Elisa stayed out of it, which is a long time, but was it acting up a touch since she pressed too many buttons?  I have looked for a shadow or sign of someone else and just can't see one.
2:59 doors close
3:13 doors open
3:23 doors close                                 (I think the elevator is descending each time...check out the lit buttons)
3:41 doors open (orange hallway)
3:51 doors close....
Elisa spends 2 1/2 minutes getting on and off the elevator.  Once she leaves the video, it takes the door almost 30 seconds to close, I would think that by then someone else should have come into view (from the right) running down the hall after her, since she departed to the left, as seemed to be more concerned with the right.

I am not convinced she was afraid of anyone in particular....just afraid.

SAP

from JB:
I saw a woman get onto the elevator, pressed the buttons below and stood back expecting the elevator to do something. Well, she pressed the wrong buttons, and peeked out and went back in and then kept close to the corner, then she stepped out and began to wave her hands.

One thing I did notice was that the cameras kept on shooting, but she never went back in (edited??) The lighting is different from the floor she was on at at the time - checkout the hallway wall, then suddenly the door opens and this hallway is far brighter.  Did the elevator move to another floor and she wasn't on it? 

I had not realized by watching the video footage that the elevator was moving to different floors. I've posted a small paragraph taken from the CTV News article at the link below.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/questions-swirl-after-missing-vancouver-woman-found-dead-at-l-a-hotel-1.1163870

The elevator doesn't start moving until Elisa has turned left and never got back in, the way I see it. The moving doesn't show in the first video but does in the second video Frigebear provided a link for. Then it seems to stop at each floor the buttons were pushed for. Eerie that it didn't move when Elisa was in it.

I so hope the coroner finds something concrete so they can start putting the pieces together.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
from SAP:
The elevator doesn't start moving until Elisa has turned left and never got back in, the way I see it. The moving doesn't show in the first video but does in the second video Frigebear provided a link for. Then it seems to stop at each floor the buttons were pushed for. Eerie that it didn't move when Elisa was in it.

Thanks, I had only watched the first video. Will take a look at the second one now.

SAP

I wonder about editing as well. The link Debbie left in reply #34, shows a news media crew and it shows parts of the elevator video ... it shows Elisa in the corner and suddenly she is jumping back into the elevator. Perhaps it's the speed of the video that does almost "slight of hand" tricks for the eyes, I don't know. I cannot see any shadows outside the elevator.
The elevator may stay open if someone is darting in and out. Some elevators will start to close but will reopen if a person is sensed moving in or out. Others will just keep closing. This is not a top rate hotel, so perhaps the elevators are poor quality as well.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
The good news about this, is that we as a group are looking more closely over her behaviour in the elevator.
No longer is she viewed as being half crazy, talking to herself.
We are looking at it with fresh eyes, and inserting ourselves in that elevator with her.

She was innocent and unaware as to the hotel.  She was looking for a "reasonably priced" hotel to stay in, going by her pocket book - especially being a University Student, one learns to "live on the cheap"

The next question is why did she go to LA?  From what I gather they have relaltives there. Noted: Parents are staying with relatives in LA.

Was this her first night at this Hotel?  Was she waiting until a.m to contact relatives?
These are questions that only her parents would have the answers to. 
My heart goes out to them. 
They must be in a state of shock and disbelief!!

JB
ps to FB - read your post about the tight squeeze to get into the tank. - Thanks!
Question is - the big question is - who would go to all of that trouble to hide her body in the water tank?
Did she perhaps climb in there by herself?  This is becoming even more bizarr. :o

Here is a video with further info.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/02/20/bc-elisa-lam-los-angelese.html?autoplay=true

jb

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:29:34 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/02/20/bc-elisa-lam-los-angelese.html?autoplay=true

Video included in this link.
Also,
Police are trying to determine if the death of a Canadian woman who was missing for weeks before her body was found wedged into a water tank atop a Los Angeles hotel was the result of foul play or an accident.

The body of 21-year-old Elisa Lam was discovered Tuesday by a maintenance worker at the downtown Cecil Hotel after guests complained of low water pressure.

Lam, of Vancouver, travelled to California alone on Jan. 26 and was last seen five days later by workers at the hotel.

Police initially called her disappearance suspicious. Investigators are now considering the possibility of foul play because of where the body was found.

Lam's body was located at the bottom of one cistern that was about three-quarters full of water, Los Angeles police Sgt. Rudy Lopez said.

The opening at the top of the cistern is too small to accommodate firefighters and equipment, so they had to cut a hole in the storage tank to recover Lam's body.
The cisterns are on a platform at least three metres above the roof.

To get to the tanks, someone would have to go to the top floor then take a staircase with a locked door and emergency alarm preventing roof access.

Another ladder would have to be taken to the platform and a person would have to climb the side of the tank.

Lopez said there are no security cameras on the roof.

The tanks provide water for hotel taps and would have been used by guests for washing and drinking.

British tourist Michael Baugh and his wife said water had only dribbled out of the taps at the downtown Cecil Hotel for days.

On Tuesday, after showering, brushing their teeth and drinking some of the tap water, they headed down to the lobby and found out why.

"The moment we found out, we felt a bit sick to the stomach, quite literally," Michael Baugh, 27 said. "Especially having drank the water, we're not well mentally."

Los Angeles police Sgt. Rudy Lopez said the county Department of Public Health had tested the water and deemed it safe. Department officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

A call to the hotel also went unreturned.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOW! The mystery deepens.  Only an autopsy will shed some light on her demise.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:41:54 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Hopefully the autopsy will clearly show whether Elisa's death was accidental or was a result of foul play. An autopsy is scheduled for today.

Hotel issues do-not-drink order after Elisa Lam's body found in tank

Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 9:29AM PST
Last Updated Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 1:07PM PST

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/hotel-issues-do-not-drink-order-after-elisa-lam-s-body-found-in-tank-1.1165941

leonagleant

• View Profile
Good observation about Elisa normally wearing glasses and seen to be very near-sightedly peering at the elevator buttons up close. I wonder if she had very bad eye-sight, and couldn't see where she was going without her glasses.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
It looks like we may be waiting a while to find out COD. Hopefully once all results are in it will be clear if this was accidental or if Elisa met with foul play. Even if toxicology tests turn up something we may never really know what happened.

Autopsy results for Elisa Lam inconclusive, more tests neededhttp://bc.ctvnews.ca/autopsy-results-for-elisa-lam-inconclusive-more-tests-needed-1.1165941

leonagleant

• View Profile
Well at least we know she wasn't stabbed, shot or skull cracked, or that would have been obvious in the autopsy.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Only time will tell if Elisa had drugs/alcohol in her system. Toxicology tests are being done and it will be a while before the results are known. In the end no matter the results, we may still have unanswered questions.

jellybean

• View Profile
Thank you for the article debbiec.  So, it now up to toxicology tests, as the autopsy was inconlusive.

Thanks you wellworth.  Your post makes so much sense, and you have a very keen eye!!  but I guess it is up to toxicology now. (perhaps to rule out drugs or too much alcohol??)

JB

capeheart

• View Profile
What bizarre circumstance. She was a petit female, how in the hell could she end up in a water tank on top of a roof, where you would have to be practically a magician to get there. Every video in that hotel should be checked to see who was around at the time she was. The elevator clips must have the time that she was seen. I believe she was telling someone to let the elevator go. Also, they knew if they came in front of the door that they would be on camera. She was definitely acting weird, yes, because she was afraid of someone and that is what was going on. It is very sad this had to happen. But the parents of this girl should be making a big fuss, because police in those big cities have so many murders to investigate, that this could go to the bottom of the pile. Because she is not from LA, they may not take a great deal of time investigating this case. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jellybean, whatever the cause or if alcohol was involved, somebody did something to this young woman. And there is no reason to believe that she was intoxicated, she wasn't acting like that. I distinctly believe she was killed by someone who worked at that hotel. They had access to the roof and also would know how to lock the elevator so it wouldn't move.

When Elisa went away from the door, I would be willing to bet that the person who harmed her had prompted her to take the stairs instead of the elevator and thereby was in control of her when he got her in the stairwell, that is my opinion. She must have been terrified. :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:57:29 PM by capeheart »