Author Topic: Mary Lou Barnes/Larry Mills Jr. - 1995 - British Settlement, NB - Murdered  (Read 21885 times)

Desespere

On Sunday evening of November 5th, Larry Sr. brought his son Larry Jr. back to his mom's home in British Settlement. Mary Lou had spent the day cleaning and later on that evening she spoke with a friend on the phone. Mary Lou worked at a local Nursing Home and the following morning, Monday the 6th of November, 1995, she did not show up at work. She and her son, Larry Jr. were both discovered murdered at their residence. Police are very interested in knowing if anybody may have been to Mary Lou's home that evening or any other information about this crime.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/prog_services/unsolved_crimes-crimes_non_resolus/index-eng.htm

It seems there is one of these in every province, a mother and her child murdered in their home.

[modified to include corrected link]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:26:24 PM by Desespere »

Sheri

• View Profile
Re: Mary Lou Barnes/Larry Mills Jr. - 1995 - British Settlement, NB - Murdered
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
I don't know who could ever this much hate for two of the sweetest people in British Settlement.  I lived just up the road from Mary Lou and little Larry.  She and her boy were friends of the family and Mary Lou often looked after my little brother.  Her and my mom were good friends and worked at the same Nursing home.  I hope that someday that this case will be solved and then they can forever rest in peace.  We miss you guys.  Cant believe that it has been 13 years.  You will be in our hearts and our memories forever.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
Sheri; maybe it's just my connection - don't know for sure; but when I click on the link you have here, I get an error.  If the link works for you, you might want to copy/paste the link right into your post.  You can just "modify" what you have already written.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »
This is such a horrible crime and it is hard to believe that they do not have any suspects here. I bet there is a big POI in this case and they just don't have the last piece of the puzzle to arrest them. How many cases go unsolved over the years, because they know basically who did it, but they haven't got enough evidence to take them to court. Well, I say to the police, go for it on this one, go and bring this person in the limelight and get the day in court. If it is circumstantial evidence, go for it. This is a long time without any justice for Mary and her child. This must be very heartbreaking for the family members. Sure hope they bring this to the attention of the community and keep it alive. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
would somebody please respond and tell me if I'm the only one who can't link to the information link in the first post? ???

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
thanks Des;  there's certainly not much info and what a lot of unsolved murders in New Brunswick .... Oromocto in particular!

It's heartbreaking to see the face of that lovely woman and child; and especially, to form a mental picture of their last hours.  ...who would do this?  ex-spouse? break in for robbery? break in knowing this woman was alone? or maybe she carelessly trusted and opened her door to the wrong stranger? or the the wrong new aquaintence?
When I see the likes of this remaining unsolved, it makes me wonder; If the police can't scrounge up the evidents and break the case, why not just put the evidence public... and maybe people will start passing facts that they otherwise wouldn't share with police.  It seems the police give up and/or are not privy to the right info.  - so maybe if they just put out what they couldn't solve, just maybe citizens would also be more knowledgeable to offer a tip or information.  That seems more logical than just keeping everything under raps forever, and the victims never ever getting justice.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/prog_services/unsolved_crimes-crimes_non_resolus/index-eng.htm

mauvelilac

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
There have been documented cases of people killing others just to divert suspicion from themselves in a particular case. Because a child was a victim in one of the murders, I could clearly see why one would want to divert suspicion away from themselves. These type of crimes are not viewed well in the prison system. There are also documented cases of suspects doing trial killings to work up the courage to do the act towards the intended victim.
We can agree to disagree but the three are related and it could well be linked back to the murder of the mother. The murder of the mother was personal, why else kill the child. The child knew the murderer.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »
The murder of the mother was personal, why else kill the child. The child knew the murderer.

Right on mauve!  I get the same feeling.  ....my first incling...the child could indentify the killer.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
I should think they looked at the husband very closely at the time of the deaths of Mary and Larry Jr. I do not feel the husband is the person that did this crime. I mean how could he just cooly get away with this, I really don't think he could kill them and act non chalant, after all it was his boy. I think he would've been in a very unstable shaky state, unless he was a hard core violent person. If he was, the police I am sure would be having him in the headlights. I think that there is a serial killer around that area. He may work in the same place as these women. He may have known all the women that you speak of. I think you indicate here that it was a possiblity that Mary Lou knew the other lady that worked in the same line of work as she did, boy, this should get some attention. Someone could be posing as a police officer or something to gain confidence in these women. Sure hope they keep searching over the files and come up with some solid information. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
good point, as well, cape; no killer wants to leave a witness ... even a child.

mauvelilac

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »
I'm not really centering on the husband per say although he would be high on the list of suspects in the beginning.. She may very well have had a bf or affair or just someone infatuated with her. Police may very well know who did this and not have a smoking gun(proof). I'm just saying that Mary's murder was personal. I feel that child knew the killer and could expose him. That's why he was killed.
I just don't understand how murders go unsolved in these small areas for so long. I live in a small town, if I go to the washroom the neighbours know it before I do. Someone is hiding a fugitive. I can't see a passerby going unnoticed.

capeheart

• View Profile
I strongly feel the same as you do on this Mauve. The fact that this is a small area for this kind of crime to happen and along with the other murders, it is more baffling why the public is not made aware of certain things by the police. Sometimes I think the police have to give out more information on this. I definitely believe that the killer was known to Mary Lou. I do feel that is why he had to kill the child. This could have been a friend of her husband's. He could know of her living alone and all and just went there with intentions of romantic adventure and everything did not turned out as he wanted. In most of these small areas there are no cunning minds on homicide. I believe more police officers should be trained on homicide in the forensic area. Homicide divisions should be set up in especially the Halifax and New Brunswick areas, because homicide has increased greatly in these areas and there are an awful lot that have not been solved. I mean the bodies were there, they have the crime scene, what else do they need. This was a crime that I don't think was premeditated, I believe it was a violent outburst and it turned into murder. Definitely a person who was known to the victims. I also am wondering if it could have been someone in the neighbourhood which Mary knew and also the child. Sometimes there are young violent offenders who are looking for money. I wonder who was living  close to her that maybe a person of interest, someone who lived close to her that could be watching her movements and thought it was an easy target for robbery. I don't know any details of the crime scene, but I wonder was she robbed???

saintjohn28

• View Profile
Major development in this story breaking out of Sackville this morning...

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/04/20/nb-sackville-1995-double-murder-development.html

New Brunswick RCMP will hold a news conference Tuesday to release details about a "significant development" in their investigation into the 1995 slayings of a mother and her son near Sackville, said Const. Chantal Farrah.

The bodies of Mary Lou Barnes, 37, and her 12-year-old son Larry Mills Jr., were discovered in their British Settlement home on Nov. 6, 1995.

They had both been suffocated.

In 2007, RCMP presented their investigative findings to the Crown prosecutor for a third time, but no charges were laid. The RCMP has had a prime suspect in the case since at least 2000.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/04/20/nb-sackville-1995-double-murder-development.html#ixzz0leK4UkqR

saintjohn28

• View Profile
Man charged in double murder...

A 63-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder in the 1995 slayings of a mother and her son near Sackville, N.B.

Raymond Joseph White, who is currently incarcerated in British Columbia on other matters, has been charged with two counts in the deaths of Mary Lou Barnes, 37, and 12-year-old Larry Mills Jr.

Their bodies were discovered in their British Settlement home on Nov. 6, 1995. They had been suffocated.

Police say the break in the case came in recent weeks as new information was provided to investigators, but they cannot divulge any details now that the matter is before the courts.

"I know this has been a long and difficult road for the Barnes and Mills families," RCMP Sgt. Paul Ouellette said in a news release.

"We have remained in close touch with the families to keep them informed on the progress of the investigation. Their patience and trust over the years as we have built this case is appreciated," he said.

A date for White's first court appearance has not yet been set.

In 2007, RCMP presented their investigative findings to the Crown prosecutor for a third time, but no charges were laid.

The RCMP has had a prime suspect in the case since at least 2000.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/04/20/nb-sackville-1995-double-murder-development.html#ixzz0legoufXu

capeheart

• View Profile
It is just great news that Raymond J. White has been charged with the murder of Mary Lou and her son Larry. This was one horrific crime. But why did it take so long to charge this man with these murders. He was initially felt to have committed the crime, but surely this could have been brought before the court before now. A long time gone by since this crime was committed. RIP Mary Lou and Larry and we hope justice definitely will be done when this case goes to trial. This man should never see outside of a prison  wall for the rest of his days, if he is convicted. He should get two consecutive life terms.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:21:35 AM by capeheart »