Author Topic: COLD CASE 1970 Phyliss OBrien Carson frm Stephenvilli Newfoundland  (Read 13577 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
Re: COLD CASE 1970 Phyliss OBrien Carson frm Stephenvilli Newfoundland
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
I don't know if the police are fully cooperative with you and are willing to share the files on the case with you or if they even still exist or are considered confidential. If they can share the file with you, that would be the best because it might say who the bartender on duty was at the time and the names of any last witnesses who saw your mother if any.

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
I was informed that names cannot be given from the case files. I know of people, that are still alive, but not the folks that worked there, I will ask once againe, If I talk to the folks it can compermise the INVESTGATION (thats a joke) i know, after all these yrs. Ive made flyers taken them out to the establisments there in town, Ive done news media, newspapers and TV..Yes by talking to the bar tender back then (if alive) if he/she can come up with any information.    If memory serves well.   

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »
It is a bit insulting to tell families that giving names might compromise an investigation that is a 43 years cold case. I say the child of a murdered person has the right to know who the last people are who saw their loved one. Americans have the right to bear dangerous arms and do all kinds of other things, so maybe they need a new law to allow them access to information about their deceased loved ones. Others on this site who are more knowledgeable about the law in this area could probably comment.

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
I agree with you whole heartly. there should be a statue of limitations ware a family member can get information from a COLD CASE, asking a minor question of WHOM, did they talk to back then. why wasnt there any follow up yrs after.. re-interview the folks that was talked to back then, DOJ and etc has ways of contacting folks, now.. with technology and media.

Do you realize the # one song back then was Michael Jackson 'Ill be there"

well I hope Im still here/there when its all over.!!!!

Maybe the Canadain News media can assist me in getting her story out there also.  Please

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
"People at the bar and in the small French Camp community remained silent. Not a single soul came forward to investigators with any clues to lead them to the man with whom she was seen leaving the bar. "

This quote from the newspaper article suggests that someone saw your mother leaving the bar with a man. If so, what was the description of the man like? Something doesn't add up here in terms of the lack of info.

Also another news article states that Phyliss was with her brother and sister drinking at the bar that night. Did her siblings leave separately before she did and who did they observe to be there at the time?

Another approach to solving this crime is too look at the criminal records of people at the time in the town. Chances are such a violent individual assaulted another woman at some point.

Or, if it was someone passing through the town, look at the records of serial murderers who killed many women in the 1970s. For example, this piece of work was free in 1970 and although he lived in Washington State he has been linked to murders in other jurisdictions including California: http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5804.0.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:07:26 PM by leonagleant »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
Excellent ideas for her daughter to follow up on LeonaG.  8)
I am wondering why the silence.  I have two thoughts on this.
1.  The person was a town bully - everyone was afraid of him.
2.  He was a big shot - perhaps a businessman or even a town cop.
I am leaning towards someone in the community who had authority albeit through town employment or some other powerhouse authority.
To such an extent that if anyone spoke up,  they could suffer repercussions.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4535.0
The above is a link from our site listing reasons why people do not step forward.
Perhaps her daughter may want to look through them, as well.
JB
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:22:57 PM by jellybean »

newfie

• View Profile

lorianncampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »
Dear Carson family

here in newfoundland we are doing a doll project at the native friendship centre in st. john's to commemorate all missing and murdered women from our Province. We would like to make a doll for Phyliss and hope that remembering her name and saying it will bring attention to the case as well as encourage tips. Lori-Ann

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
ok. Lori That sounds Awsome. maybe post it on my Facebook page. please send me a picture OK.

newfie

• View Profile