Author Topic: COLD CASE 1970 Phyliss OBrien Carson frm Stephenvilli Newfoundland  (Read 14529 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
Re: COLD CASE 1970 Phyliss OBrien Carson frm Stephenvilli Newfoundland
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »
Excellent work Newfie. Sorry I wasn't paying attention and now see that you still live in the town so I hope you can get some help fishing for information. Maybe get some acquaintances to ask around "under cover" in case they can get some old timers to talk. The person who killed your mother clearly had some roots in that town and you have to wonder why the secret was kept all those years. Try asking around at the local seniors home too. You can tell them that you are doing a local oral history project and want to interview the seniors about news stories to get your foot in the door.

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
WOW Thanks for the suggestion I will do that. Yes I still live within 10 minutes from French Camp, and work within minutes also. Its been so hard to get any information, It seems folks are still quiet. WTH!!! Its like a big mystery and intrigued of WHY!! no one has ever came forward. What more can I do to rattle some minds.. ?  I will go back to FC and talk to others.   

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
Is there any DNA evidence? If not, it will be hard to get justice but at least you might get information.

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »
no DNA. back in 1970 they did not have the technology we have now. she was violated in a very bad way, and left fr dead, then weeks later she was so decomposed. when found. I maynot get justice, in my life time, but i hope if the person is still alive he is or has suffered mentally and if others know of anything they to have carried a heavy heart.and a burden.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »
Newfie:  I have asked some very important questions.  Was she living close to an American Base?  Was your father still in the service at the time? Obviously your mother referred to the drive home as a "family friend", so am just wondering re:  serviceman.  I realize that you were very young, and it may be too much to ask.  But if you can remember ----?
Take care and God Bless you in your search for the person who took your Mom away from you and your family.

Peace

JB
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:05:51 AM by jellybean »

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »
Hello. Im sorry fr not getting back to you. But to answer yr questions. This happened yrs after they were married. And living here in the states. Not living near the base. Dad was out of the service. This happened 1970.  .

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 02:02:24 AM »
So, who could that "family friend" be?  Perhaps she said it was a family friend to make family members relax?

And in her believing that she would have a safe ride home took that offer of a ride home from  someone whom she met and felt comfortable with?  -After all - she did make a call to her family, which was great, but perhaps she just said a "family friend" so that they wouldn't worry.

Was this bar close to her home, where she could have walked home?  - or far enough that a drive home would have been the better choice?
JB
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:11:26 AM by jellybean »

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
Walking is to. Far. That is and was the questions who waste fAmily friend. Who befriended her it just does nof make sense.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
These are my thoughts - your Mom dropped into the bar to have a drink - a so called "friendly" man bought her a few more.  She called home - and she did not tell the truth when she said that she would be getting a ride home with a "family friend".  She felt comfortable around this kindly gentleman who offered her a ride home.  This is not usual, and 99.9% of the time a woman is driven home safely (in the good old days), however this was not a kindly gentlemen.  The people in the bar cannot be helpful , simply because they did not know the man. 

JB

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. The term "family friend" is a bit vague if it is indeed an accurate and literal quote after all these years. If he was a family friend, why would she not mention his name? Is it possible Phyliss did not want to give the name because she had something to hide about this relationship?

Or could it be that Phyliss was telling a white lie and she was actually accepting a ride from a stranger she just met at the bar? But if it was a stranger, you think the locals at the bar would have noticed an unfamiliar face and reported that to the police with nothing to hide and no-one to cover up for.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between: she accepted a ride from a local who was not that well known to her -- clearly not a good family friend anyway if he ever was a family friend at all.

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »
I totally agree. and it hurts and fustrates me. even why no-one came forward. from the night she left the bar. after she was found. STILL no one came forward. SO I know there is folks living with some kind of remorse or guilt or the would of   should of !!! sometimes I cant even concentrate on the simple things, cause i dont understand. what, who and the WHY!!!

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:22 AM »
Perhaps she was under duress during the actual phone call and he told her what to say on the phone?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
Perhaps the man who was giving her a ride home suggested that he wait for her in the car, and she was to wait for 10 or 15 minutes and then leave, (so as not to start any gossip)?

That way, no one could remember her leaving with a man. 

JB

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
That's a good trick, hadn't thought of it. She went to the phone booth, exited alone and met him in the parking lot. Still, someone would have seen them talking in the bar. Can you research through city hall who the owner of the business was at the time, and go from there?

newfie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
I have came up with so many sceniors in my head myself and its amazing how many there is. and I will contact the city and see who owend the the place back then. if he or she is still alive.