Author Topic: The Gun Control Issue - Opinions?  (Read 21717 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: The Gun Control Issue - Opinions?
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
Nothing has changed in the US. The episode last week that a lady was a hero and saved many children. This person was a mental case and he had an assault rifle with so many bullets, I forget. So what changed, nothing. They don't care who gets killed, as far as I'm concerned. The gun control issue is useless.  :( :( :( :(

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
Here we go again, another violent assault on the inncent by a crazed gunman. Nothing has changed, has it. This man was getting treatment for a mental condition. Hearing voices. Also had different issues with gun related incidents in the past. He had a valid pass to get on a Navy Base. He did not have a background checkup, obviously, for the job he had on that base. So somebody is sleeping at the switch again. Assault rifles are as easy to get as an ice cream sunday, as far as I am concerned. But even when these people act out, like this man shot tires out on a car and not charged. Well that is kind of a wakeup call. He had anger issues. He had every red flag in the book and nobody, nobody, did one damned thing. So please, people that know someone out there now with these kind of symptoms, do something about it. Especially if they have access to weapons. And almost everyone of these mass killings, signs were there and nobody did anything. Newton Elementary, the young man was a nut job and nobody did anything. WAKE UP AMERICA, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE. Next week somebody else will die and it will be all because you, you or you, did not come forward and report someone who is a ticking tmiebomb. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
I am posting this here in the discussion area, because from all information given, this tragedy of innocent persons could have been avoided.  The counsellor for Elliot Rodger had warned of his behaviour, that he maybe a danger.  The police, as noted today even questioned him, after his parents saw the video that he posted. The police spoke to him and he said, oh, he was not a threat to anybody. Well what in the heck, is he going to tell them he's going to do it. They did not investigate enough or warn the young people that lived in his apartment. They also did not check to see if he had access to weapons. Continuously, the Americans are not paying attention to people who have mental problems. At least warn others and make sure this person does not have weapons and place them in a mental facility for citizens safety. But the same old story, they don't need gun control. Well in this world, I wonder how many people would still be living if there were no such a thing as guns. Guns were made to kill and now a person can't go shopping or just walk on a summer evening or even go to a place of worship. And then we see these copycat killings. And these are from young people, with college education, the best time of their lives. My deepest sympathy to those who lost their loved ones, in such a senseless act of violence once again. :o :o :o :o

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »
Arizona shooting range reviews policy after 9-year-old kills gun instructor
Incident has left some wondering what sort of parents would let a child handle a submachine gun

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
I had no idea that the number of mass shootings in the US was so high. It's staggering.

Once you open the link, if you scroll down a bit, you will see the date of the incident and an image that depicts each of the victims of that shooting.

Mass shootings in the US: there have been 1,624 in 1,870 days

No other developed nation comes close to the rate of US gun violence. Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every adult.

Data from the Gun Violence Archive reveals there is a mass shooting ? defined as four or more people shot in one incident, not including the shooter ? nine out of every 10 days on average

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/oct/02/america-mass-shootings-gun-violence

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
I give kudos to the teens in Florida who are speaking out now and demanding changes. The USA picture is so very alarming ... so much so, that I wish for a wall between Canada and USA.

The following is a picture of school shootings just this year alone.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
That second amendment is at the root of the problem, imo. It justifies the carrying of weapons in the first place. People are being slaughtered because of it.

We might want to look inward, to our own Country.  While there is no comparison to the US, we are not lily white either.

We have had a few mass shootings recently in Canada.  The mosque in TO comes to mind, plus the shooting of people in a mall in TO.

Small number of incidents when compared to the US.  But no reason to ignore it.

AK's are here in Cda.  Often found in drug houses.

We did have gun registry at one time, but Harper put a stop to it, and deleted the registry saying that it infringed upon the privacy of citizens.  Pleas were made by  Police Chiefs across Canada to keep the registry as it not only assisted them in solving some crimes, but was invaluable to police when entering homes in domestic disputes.  To no avail.  Quebec kept some of their own records, and as far as I know they still have them.

Even the Americans have some form of gun registry.

I understand that criminals do not register their guns, but how do we stop these arms from arriving in our country through the US?

Attitudes  that begin in the South, very often spread North. We tend to copy the Americans more than we care to admit and it is not always the best of the US mindset.

Much public attention is now driven towards Canada providing a new law enabling farmers to protect their own property and themselves on their own land, with firearms.  It seems to be gaining a lot of public support.  I cannot see our government heading in that direction.

Another farmer recently charged while scaring off thieves on his Okotoks, Alta farm. He wounded one of them. RCMP announced Don't do anything. Call them.

It must be difficult to stand by and watch the thieves run off with your vehicles, etc. and do nothing.  You would become a known mark for the next theft, and the next theft, until you would have nothing left worth taking. Short of having multiple attack dogs, I don't know the answer.
Even then, you would have cops charging you for having dangerous animals off leash. LOL
Not to mention the fines from animal control.
Anyway you look at it, one can't win for losing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/okotoks-property-owner-shoots-theft-suspect-1.4551008

jb
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:06:23 AM by jellybean »