Author Topic: Emma Fillipoff, 26, missing on Vancouver Island since Nov. 28, 2012  (Read 31468 times)

SAP

Re: Emma Fillipoff, 26, missing on Vancouver Island since Nov. 28, 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
Emma's mother has given all the details on her site.

Emma was barefoot in cold weather and what boggles my mind was that 45 minutes before she was never seen again, RCMP officers had been talking to her. It is not realistic, even if the person declares they are fine, to let someone just go like this without thinking of at least frostbite this time of year. Had they not even tried to take her to an ER ward?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

What really bothers me about this, is that the police were called by a regular citizen who saw Emma on the street and after interacting with her for a few minutes, realized she needed help. Surely if he could see that....couldn't the police tell?

From discus:

SAP

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
Yes Debbiec. That is so bothersome. I imagine the friend is still feeling very badly that he didn't get her to help himself. I know I could not live with myself if I left someone without trying at least to persuade them to come to an ER ward. Even on foot, one can hail a taxi or call an ambulance and stay with the person. I am not ragging on the friend b/c he did think that police would help.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
Police and ER hands are tied, they cannot commit her, she would have to agree, and then commit herself if she was not a threat to anyone, then they could do nothing but make suggestions to her. I think the police tried very hard, they spent 45 mins speaking to her, that is a very long time.

Even if they did get her to the ER, she could refuse assistance and walk out.

And if she was already in a paranoid state she would not get help but hide, stay out of public view, remember people suffering from depressive episodes still have their intelligence and when they get frightened or feel cornered can seem very crafty, and use the right wording to convince they are really ok, the survivor instinct in all of us can be very powerful when we feel out of our realm, sometimes it kicks in and we do or say things we did not know we were capable of.

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »
I hope Emma realized she was attracting attention (after speaking to Police and a friend) and went into hiding intentionally.    With confidentiality laws, would a hospital be obliged to say she is a patient?  She is an adult so perhaps they would not have to disclose.

SAP

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Police and ER hands are tied, they cannot commit her, she would have to agree, and then commit herself if she was not a threat to anyone, then they could do nothing but make suggestions to her. I think the police tried very hard, they spent 45 mins speaking to her, that is a very long time.

Even if they did get her to the ER, she could refuse assistance and walk out.

And if she was already in a paranoid state she would not get help but hide, stay out of public view, remember people suffering from depressive episodes still have their intelligence and when they get frightened or feel cornered can seem very crafty, and use the right wording to convince they are really ok, the survivor instinct in all of us can be very powerful when we feel out of our realm, sometimes it kicks in and we do or say things we did not know we were capable of.

That is so true Logical. However first responders are always told they cannot persuade or force the person into care but they should stay with the person or near for when the person no longer is able to respond for self. This is for responders to a cardiac arrest, or choking, etc. I do wonder why it shoudn't be covered for people who are having a psychotic break as well. 

SAP

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
I hope Emma realized she was attracting attention (after speaking to Police and a friend) and went into hiding intentionally.    With confidentiality laws, would a hospital be obliged to say she is a patient?  She is an adult so perhaps they would not have to disclose.

From what I have seen, when a patient asked for confidentiality it was maintained by the hospital. In one case it even went as far as "changing" the patients last name in a highly controversial case.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
This is from the Fifth Estate. Here are the experts opinions on the disappearance of Emma. There are five experts. One is the detective from To Catch a Killer. Click on appropriate videos./jb

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/a-lot-of-painhttp://www.cbc.ca/fifth/blog/help-find-emma
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:39:04 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
It will be two years in November since Emma vanished without a trace.

This article is from May, 2014. I wonder if they ever figured out who the man who took down Emma's poster is.  After having read this article I had to wonder if he really knew Emma. 

Possible break in Emma Fillipoff missing woman casehttp://www.courierislander.com/news/local/possible-break-in-emma-fillipoff-missing-woman-case-1.1078868

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Fifth Estate probes missing Emma case

"I am hopeful but not optimistic about the outcome regarding the outcome of this case" - Emma's mom

SIAN THOMSON COURIER-ISLAND
OCTOBER 29, 2014 12:00 AM

Emma Fillipoff's mother Shelley, approached The Fifth Estate to tell her daughter's story and to help find her. After setting up a page on their website providing clues and information about the case, the program will now air a documentary discussing the results of their campaign.

The show will air on Nov. 7 at 9 p.m. pacific standard time on CBC.

Emma Fillipoff has been missing for almost two years after vanishing without a trace on Nov. 28, 2012 from the streets of Victoria.

On that day, Victoria police spoke to Emma after a passerby alerted them that she was without shoes in just above zero weather and seemed disoriented.

Police talked to her for about 30 minutes and decided she was fine, leaving her on the side of the road.

That is the last confirmed sighting of the then 26-year-old woman.

Emma worked as a chef at the Royal Coachman in Campbell River, and then relocated to Victoria to do the same work.

Her mother Shelley fears that Emma had a mental breakdown and may have headed to a place she found familiar and where she had friends. But unconfirmed reports have also put her in the downtown eastside of Vancouver. There have also been unconfirmed reports of sightings in Vancouver, Tofino, Powell River, Oregon and Winnipeg. Her mother has offered a $25,000 reward to help find her daughter.

Dr. Mike Arntfield was interviewed by The Fifth Estate and said he cannot think of a case in recent history that has so many potential outcomes and explanations and each one needs to be explored. The criminology professor and former police officer said that it is unsettling as there are so many unknown variables. Fillipoff could have taken her own life, met with foul play, relocated on her own free will, or she is in a mental health crisis and does not know who she is. There was one lead when an unknown man wearing a ball cap and green shirt was seen taking a missing poster down from a store in Vancouver and said Emma was his girlfriend and did not want to be found, but to date that man has not been identified.

Emma's mother Shelley said there was a robbery in North Vancouver recently and one of the suspects resembles the man who has become known as the 'green shirt guy'. "The police say the case is active but really they just wait for tips to come in and if they think they are credible they will look at those," said Shelley, who believes there is a difference between a case being 'active' and police being 'proactive' on a case.

"They don't follow up on half the leads," she said. "If a tip comes in they will go over to where it originated and look into it but they tell me they do not have the manpower to follow up all leads and tips. When I was in Victoria the day she disappeared (Emma's mother flew out to bring Emma home the day she vanished) I did more work than the police did. It's going on two years and they have done nothing. They let her go in the first place when they could have admitted her into a facility for observation."

When asked what she thinks happened to Emma, Shelley said "your guess is as good as mine," but her behaviour in the weeks leading up to the disappearance suggested she was suffering from a mental breakdown.

"I have a terrible fear she has had a breakdown and doesn't even know she is missing and may not even know who she is," said Fillipoff.

"The Fifth Estate has never committed a full hour to any story, and they are doing so for Emma," said her mother.

"I am hopeful but not optimistic regarding the outcome of this case," said Shelley. "I am realistic but we have to keep it out there, people need to keep their eyes wide open."

- See more at: http://www.courierislander.com/news/local/fifth-estate-probes-missing-emma-case-1.1480069#sthash.9O2vwLky.dpuf

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
Does it not strike anyone else as odd Emma and her mother didn't speak for a year? I can't fathom that length of time going by without speaking when there was no apparent riff...

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
Good grief, is it true - that she has not accessed her bank account since disappearing?  Everyone needs money to exist.  If she had money in the bank, she would access some of it at some point.
To quote her Mother;
"I have a terrible fear she has had a breakdown and doesn't even know she is missing and may not even know who she is," said Fillipoff.  unquote.

If she did not know who she was, someone out there hopefully will link her to the missing Emily (hopefully).
I can't see her having a complete breakdown without ending up in hospital.

How did she receive her money?  I know that she worked at some point - but how long ago was it?

JB

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:20:00 PM by jellybean »

Nancy Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
Fyi, there are more photos of Emma on the fifth estate page about the case:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/findingemma

And for American users in this group geoblocked from the fifth estate page, you can view the documentary on youtube at this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FPSmlCmJk

feather

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
From May 29, 2014

New clue has emerged, however.......sounds kinda fishy/BS...

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/new-clue-emerges-in-disappearance-of-emma-fillipoff-1.1080343

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »
From May 29, 2014

New clue has emerged, however.......sounds kinda fishy/BS...

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/new-clue-emerges-in-disappearance-of-emma-fillipoff-1.1080343

The article above is from almost two years ago - May, 2014. It doesn't look like anything ever came of the clue.