Author Topic: Christina Calayaca - Missing - Rainbow Falls Provincial Park, ON (August 2007)  (Read 48687 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
An update.

Families of the missing: Grieve or keep looking?

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/913884--a-long-season-of-hope-and-dread

FM

Here is a map of the Rossport Campground of Rainbow Falls vis a vis the Whitesand Lake Campground 3km east. There was a credible sighting of an "Asian woman" fitting Christina's description entering Rossport from the highway at 9 in the morning..

Rossport is on Lake Superior and south of the highway so, if it was Christina, she was last seen entering the Rossport Campground.

https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/RainbowFalls

FM

Cadaver dogs can give false readings for various reasons due to handling. One reason is fatigue. The dogs from the original search would have been more tired because they were searching a bigger area and longer, in which case you might get a false positive.
A severely fatigued dog can inadvertently be pressured to give a false alert because it wants to terminate the search in order to rest. Therefore, it is important to maintain the dog at a high level of physical fitness so that it may work for multiple hours with only brief rest periods. http://www.csst.org/forensic_evidence_canines.html
The credible sighting of Christina at Rossport Campground would mean she probably headed to the lookout on Lake Superior. The lookout doesn't look dangerous so an abduction looks more possible either at Rossport or on the way back. In all likelihood she would have gone back along the highway so she could have hitched a ride.

P.S. I still say that Lake Superior is the best killer in Canada, and perhaps, one day, Gitchigoomie will give up her dead and prove it...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:15:24 PM by FM »

expecting rain

• Truth is stranger than fiction.
    • View Profile
Just found this thread. You NEVER let anyone hike, jog or run alone in a place you are unfamiliar with. That area of Northwestern Ontario is very cliffy and rocky, and the forests dense. Also there are cougars and black bears. Also this is near Highway 17, which is the major highway through Northern Ontario. There is a high chance that someone could of snatched her and taken her anywhere in Canada along this route.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
August 2012 marked the five year anniversary of Christina's disappearance.

Although many searches have been conducted in an attempt to find Christina, her remains have never been found. In November of 2008 a private team with six cadaver dogs searched the park. All six dogs detected human remains in the bottom of the river, but the water was too deep and too swift to go further. A volunteer with the Search, Rescue and Recovery Resources of Minnesota, who had been working with the family on a volunteer basis, stated that it was most likely Christina. We may never really know.

**edited to correct spelling error
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:26:19 PM by debbiec »

york3404

• View Profile

forest

• View Profile
This entire case is too weird for me. As an avid camper/hiker, there is no way in heck I would separate from a friend to go jogging at any hour, especially when its a brand new place and out of my element. Just common sense especially with her foot injury. I have a huge hunch that this crime was planned ahead of time. Her camping 'buddies' are good at keeping secrets. Are the cops 100% sure it was early hours of the morning that she went missing....or are they just taking the word of her pals?? Hummmm makes me wonder even more what happened that evening.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:43:02 PM by forest »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Long Gone; Thank you for the in depth article.  It outlines her disappearance quite clearly, and is extremely helpful

Do you know if search dogs were brought out?  I read the article, but might have missed that part - that is, if they ever did.

While being on this site, I have learned that very often remains are found by a hunter or camper, well after the same area had received intense searches.

A searcher can miss out on a few yards in dense bush.

I think that Christina did get turned around and got lost in the bush, but .... if she called out, should she have been rather close to campgrounds or anywhere near earshot of another human being, one would think that she would have been heard.  She was out jogging during the daylight, so campers would be up and about.

As to wild animals, most of them would keep their distance, as said in the article
However, at the same time, to my mind, one danger would be if she crossed paths with a mother bear and her cubs.
While bears do stay in the bush, they can be quite close by to attend campsites - to get food left out by careless campers.

Perhaps she saw  a deer and followed it to get a better view, and got turned around.
(about the statement in the article, that C would not jog due to her foot, but preferred volleyball)  That is quite conflicted reasoning isn't it?  Volleyball requires running and jumping.

I believe the statements made by her camping companions. 

I do not believe that Christana was abducted, nor do I think she was murdered.

jb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:18:58 AM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Upon reviewing recent posts on this thread I came across another thread which had been started on this topic as well. I have now merged them.

I also found that the pdf article in reply #70 had been posted on the other thread (reply #63).

jellybean

• View Profile
Yes Jb, the dogs were brought in but it was a 24 hrs after she went missing and no scents were found.  Very puzzling when she had a bad foot and was said to have been frightened of getting lost because of her experience on the seaton hiking trail just weeks before.  Because it is a park ,it would limit the chances that a hunter would come across anything, if she is even in there.

re: dogs.  Did it rain prior to dogs arrival, I wonder?

Her foot had some type of callous on it, due to stepping on a needle.  From what I can discern, this happened awhile back.  Christina played volleyball.  Her foot did not bother her in playing that sport. So I do question how bad her foot really was.  And if her experience of getting lost at another trial, at another time, was so frightening, why would she travel 1500 kms to go to Rainbow Falls?  That does not make sense to me.

If someone is not keen on hiking, or exploring, they would have made different plans for their vacation. 

We know nothing about her inter- personal relationships she had with her camping companions, which does not help.

The odds of her getting lost, or falling into a river, or slipping and tumbling down a ravine or cliff, is greater than being abducted, and or murdered.  Believe it or not abduction and murder is not common in Canada.  I know, we carry this type of thing on our site, but in general accidents of this type are more common than murder.

So, I am going with the law of averages here, and thinking that she met up with a fateful accident.  One bad slip and tumbling down an embankment, for example, would not leave any clothing, shoes, etc.  Everything would have disappeared with her, leaving no trace of her at all.  "The absence of something - still means something"  Is that how the expression goes??.

jb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:55:45 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
It really wouldn't come as much of a surprise if she had fallen into water. Below is information that was posted on the five year anniversary of Christina's disappearance, in 2012.

August 2012 marked the five year anniversary of Christina's disappearance.

Although many searches have been conducted in an attempt to find Christina, her remains have never been found. In November of 2008 a private team with six cadaver dogs searched the park. All six dogs detected human remains in the bottom of the river, but the water was too deep and too swift to go further. A volunteer with the Search, Rescue and Recovery Resources of Minnesota, who had been working with the family on a volunteer basis, stated that it was most likely Christina. We may never really know.

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
http://katebarker.com/pdfs/win07missingkate.pdf

I haven't read all the posts on this missing persons thread and never even heard of this case until today but did anyone read this article that was posted by another person?

This Eddie Migue person seems awfully suspicious especially since he was the last one to see Christina that morning.

A few things I find odd:

1) He took a shower at 3am and returns to the campsite at app 3:30am. (Who takes a shower at 3am? Who takes a shower at a campsite at 3am)?

2) Apparently Christina was up when he goes inside the tent and apparently asks him if he wants to go swimming but was apparently joking. (Everyone else in the tent is sleeping).

3) Christina and Eddie both wake up at the same time (around 6 or 6:30am) and she asks him to walk to the washrooms with her. Walking back to the tent, they decide to go jogging. (I'm not buying that story at all).

4) Most importantly, if she is afraid to walk by herself to the bathroom at 6am, am I supposed to believe that she would willingly go jogging BY HERSELF in a park that is unfamiliar to her?

**My theory is something happened earlier that night. They were all drinking and even though they said they didn't have much alcohol, the way it sounds, being Christian and all, is that they didn't drink that much so it wouldn't have taken much to get them drunk especially Christina with her small frame and body weight. So they are all drinking that night and the other two fall asleep. I think Eddie and Christina did go swimming or went for a walk and something happened. I think he did something to her, maybe resulting in her death either in the water or on land and he hid her body really well. I think whatever her did to her, he did it in between 12:30 and 3am. I think he took that shower like he said at 3am to wash off any evidence and if the police were smart they would have did DNA testing of the men's shower rooms to look for traces of hair, skin, blood etc.

There's just no way Christina would have went jogging all by her self in the bush. She was a city girl. Seemed like she played things safe so a forest like Rainbow Falls would have been scary especially with fog that is known to come off the lake. Just no way at all.

Police never polygraphed any of the others who were camping with Christina.

They need to zone in on this Eddie guy.

And the guy at the other campsite who 'thinks' he seen an 'Asian looking girl' could have easily been mistaken.

Just my thoughts. 

jellybean

• View Profile
quote jtmtplesant
**My theory is something happened earlier that night. They were all drinking and even though they said they didn't have much alcohol, the way it sounds, being Christian and all, is that they didn't drink that much so it wouldn't have taken much to get them drunk especially Christina with her small frame and body weight. So they are all drinking that night and the other two fall asleep. I think Eddie and Christina did go swimming or went for a walk and something happened. I think he did something to her, maybe resulting in her death either in the water or on land and he hid her body really well. I think whatever her did to her, he did it in between 12:30 and 3am. I think he took that shower like he said at 3am to wash off any evidence and if the police were smart they would have did DNA testing of the men's shower rooms to look for traces of hair, skin, blood etc.

There's just no way Christina would have went jogging all by her self in the bush. She was a city girl. Seemed like she played things safe so a forest like Rainbow Falls would have been scary especially with fog that is known to come off the lake. Just no way at all.

Police never polygraphed any of the others who were camping with Christina.

Excellent theory -  and great questions.  If she was afraid to walk to the washrooms alone (it was dark at 3:00 a.m), then why go jogging on own?
I wonder what the relationship was between them?

Are you familiar with that area jtmt?
jb

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
Jelly Bean no I'm not familiar with the area but I have passed through there on several occasions as I travelled to Thunder Bay.

Had I known about this case I would have stopped at the area she went missing :(