Author Topic: Arrest Made in 1984 Killing of Que. Actress  (Read 2784 times)

Im_new_here2

Arrest Made in 1984 Killing of Que. Actress
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »
More than 20 years after the killing of a popular Quebec actress in a vacant apartment shocked the province, Montreal police have arrested a 49-year-old man.The man was questioned by investigators Wednesday and is to be arraigned Thursday on a first-degree murder charge in the death of Denise Morelle, said Montreal police Const. Raphael Bergeron. The suspect's identity was not released.

The actress was found strangled in an apartment on Sanguinet Street that she had been thinking of renting and visited on July 17, 1984. A landlord had left it unlocked for her to visit at any time.When her friends didn't hear from her by the next day, they reported her missing. Her body was found soon after.

Morelle's case was profiled this April on a French-language TV show. Around the same time, investigators renewed their efforts in the case.

"Obviously, in [Morelle's] case, we had something that made us believe that information was very important and obviously it helped us make a big step in that investigation," said Bergeron.
More than 1,000 people ? including luminaries such as actor Jean Duceppe, actress Monique Mercure and playwright Michel Tremblay ? packed a church for Morelle's funeral service.

Tremblay, who wrote many plays Morelle acted in, had just written a new one with a role written especially for the beloved actress.

The 58-year-old actress, who appeared both on stage and screen, was one of seven children. Before she made it big, Morelle juggled her acting career with a telephone company job.

A small park in Montreal's Le Plateau district is named in her honour.

twisten

• View Profile
Re: Arrest Made in 1984 Killing of Que. Actress
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »
Good to see that someone has been charged in her murder even though it took over 20 years to do it.  I know it won't ever bring the victim back but hopefully the family will get some kind of closure with this arrest.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
I never heard of this case but I am glad it was solved. I find it encouraging that so many old cases are being solved. I hope this becomes the norm.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=9833ccff-d1bb-49c6-96e2-6ccdac9c8df4

I'm concerned that the man who tortured and murdered Denise in 1984 was at large for so many years with a capacity to do great harm to women before he was finally arrested 23 yrs later. Has anyone looked at other unsolved murders after 1984 in the Montreal area to see if he may have been responsible? He was a homeless transient type of person so he may have preyed on homeless and drug addicted women too.