Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 413266 times)

D1

• View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1485 on: June 22, 2019, 04:37:03 PM »
Interesting from many different perspectives. It says something but what? Was a permit required to do the work? Perhaps the property owners felt some obligation just based on the circumstance none of which is of their doing or fault. There are people like that, they feel and grieve for a victim yet are not part of the immediate family or close group of friends. Still they want to do whatever they can..

Aside that?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 01, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
Would be nice to know who installed this....can’t just put a culvert in anywhere...

Thinking..as I do about Sonia....and thinking about the latest news articles....IF there was two perps...do the investigators only have DNA from one? 
There was yelling going on that night, and screeching of tires...and somewhere on this thread there Was news articles about both doors of Sonia’s car being left open.  Kind of does make sense that the yelling involved two people....the perp wasn’t yelling at himself...
Two people?  Hmmmm....why? 
It is puzzling....who had it out against Sonia?
How well did the experts investigate her computer?
Her personnel files at the hospital?

lily17

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 28, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
Thinking of Sonia as the 9th anniversary of her passing approaches. My thoughts are with her family during this difficult time. I realize these words may sound hollow and cliche but I know for a fact that many people feel a deep connection to Sonia. I, for one, am praying for more information from investigators that would breathe new life into Sonia's case. Sadly, I don't hold out much hope for anything more than what we've heard before from LE. If only there was something we could do, collectively, to appeal to investigators to assure us that Sonia's case hasn't been abandoned and that there are solid leads out there that have the potential to lead to an arrest. If only someone in the media would be a voice for Sonia and bring her case back to the forefront of everyone's minds. She deserves justice. Her family deserves answers.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 30, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
I just saw a clip on my Facebook newsfeed where they interviewed Sonia’s mom at the memorial set up for Sonia on Beechgrove sideroad...
Heartbreaking, her mom knows nothing...She said the police haven’t told her anything.
The police need to touch base with that poor woman at least every two weeks, a phone call....perhaps during those talks...something will tweak an idea on a path to investigate.  (Seems to me they know nothing and are relying on tips)
Sonia’s mother said something to the effect: everyone loved her.......as far as I know. 
Someone (or somebodies) didn’t, unfortunately

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 30, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »
Quote Jobo:

Jobo my thoughts on that is maybe the someone "loved" her too much. Not "loved" in a healthy sense, rather a jealous individual who wanted Sonia and he didn't get the attention he wanted and went ape shite with a deranged thought that if he can't have her, no one else would either and he made sure of that. Could even have been a person she didn't know at all because he worshipped her from a distance. Just my humble opinion. I hope police also looked at the loner types and not just the popular males around.

My ex had a friend who quite scared me with his thoughts on much younger girls. He would ogle a young nurse who walked home past his place from work and he really thought she was trying to hit on him because she "smiled" at him when he was outside. My own experience once was I felt sorry for an older man and would also smile at him as I passed ... just to make him feel better and not so lonely looking. I became cautious with smiles after that because at a time when I was carrying something which I needed both arms for, he came out of nowhere and grabbed me in places I do not care to mention and tried to kiss me. Some minds just don't roll normally.

As with Sonia's mother and family, my heart really goes out to them as they quietly suffer. I wish they had someone to keep after police for them.

lily17

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 01, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
Another year goes by and still no arrest. It's very hard to speculate as to who could have done this to Sonia without knowing the true motive behind her murder. As usual, investigators keep their cards close to their chests so we can only guess. I'm of the same mindset that it was someone in the neighborhood who could watch her coming and going and stalk her in secret. A stranger who kept appearing in the neighbourhood might draw attention, while a neighbour would be ignored. My mind keeps going back to those very early days when Sonia was still missing. Who was keen to speak on camera? Who tried to insert themselves into the investigation? Who would have knowledge of policing, enough to get away with murder for 9 years? I don't think this has gone unsolved for so long by accident. No one is asking for fingerprints so I think it's safe to say the killer wore gloves, which suggests planning, not a crime of opportunity. They always say that the key to solving any case is there in the first 72 hours. I would think investigators need to go back to the very beginning and retrace their steps. Maybe they missed something vital? Maybe they're just not asking the right questions? Maybe someone knows something but they don't realize it? Questions... and no answers. As always, my thoughts are with Sonia's family.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 09, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »
I just saw a clip on my Facebook newsfeed where they interviewed Sonia’s mom at the memorial set up for Sonia on Beechgrove sideroad...
Heartbreaking, her mom knows nothing...She said the police haven’t told her anything.
The police need to touch base with that poor woman at least every two weeks, a phone call....perhaps during those talks...something will tweak an idea on a path to investigate.  (Seems to me they know nothing and are relying on tips)
Sonia’s mother said something to the effect: everyone loved her.......as far as I know. 

Is it possible her mom may know the killer, although unaware of it?  Police would not tell anything to the family in case the killer is inadvertently tipped off?

jb

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 12, 2019, 03:21:47 PM »
If so, the killer is someone the family knows well. How did he evade the dna dragnet? hmmmm all the stuff no one speaks of.

Jessica-

• The truth will come to light; murder cannot be hid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 17, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
It's been a good 3 years since I have been on here, and I'm shocked that they still haven't solved this. This case is completely cold, I never hear about it in the news/online. Very sad.

Hopefully her family gets peace and closure.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 19, 2019, 02:42:35 PM »
If so, the killer is someone the family knows well. How did he evade the dna dragnet? hmmmm all the stuff no one speaks of.

So very true D1/jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 20, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »
[quote author=jellybean

Is it possible her mom may know the killer, although unaware of it?  Police would not tell anything to the family in case the killer is inadvertently tipped off?

jb
[/quote]

Police will never tell family who their POI or suspects are. Surely we know that. If they don't name a person in the media, they don't name any suspects to family. It is police protocol, and the family is shut out of the investigation, for whatever reason, including inadvertently tipping off the killer. LE's silence and lack of communication with the family doesn't suggest anything other than their standard protocol.  I wish that LE could be more communicative with families. Let them in on aspects of their investigation that doesn't hinder the case, but shows what they have done are doing to solve it. It is the least police should do for families. Cold, dead silence is cruel and unnecessary.

jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 22, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Have Faith is correct...the more things change, the more things stay the same

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 22, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »
Modern day policing is in some ways a much simpler process with the advent of dna testing. Or it was especially in regard to older cold cases. The perps then were not aware of the evidence they were leaving behind that would then expose them in the future. The evolution of that in the mind of a cunning modern day killer to avoid apprehension is to leave someone else's dna behind at the scene of the crime? If it can't be identified it provides reasonable doubt even if all else points to one certain individual and says otherwise.. DNA trumps most all else.

How do the Police differentiate planted dna from actual relevant dna. You don't hear much about this sort of thing and of course they don't want to advertise the effectiveness of doing that but it makes one wonder!!!

Any time there is evidence of premeditation or re-arrangment of a crime scene, there is that possibility. Would law enforcement ever admit they suspected that?? Nope.. for all the reasons already mentioned.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
Modern day policing is in some ways a much simpler process with the advent of dna testing. Or it was especially in regard to older cold cases. The perps then were not aware of the evidence they were leaving behind that would then expose them in the future. The evolution of that in the mind of a cunning modern day killer to avoid apprehension is to leave someone else's dna behind at the scene of the crime? If it can't be identified it provides reasonable doubt even if all else points to one certain individual and says otherwise.. DNA trumps most all else.

How do the Police differentiate planted dna from actual relevant dna. You don't hear much about this sort of thing and of course they don't want to advertise the effectiveness of doing that but it makes one wonder!!!

Any time there is evidence of premeditation or re-arrangment of a crime scene, there is that possibility. Would law enforcement ever admit they suspected that?? Nope.. for all the reasons already mentioned.

Hi D1, are you suggesting that a viable police suspect in Sonia's murder left an innocent, untraceable person's DNA at the crime scenes? Other than trying to frame an enemy for a crime, I have to think that this would be extremely rare. That level of premeditation doesn't fit the  way she was killed. She was killed by a known or unknown person in a fit of passion, or an unknown person in a fit of manic frenzy. Everything that transpired after she was killed debunks any premeditation or planning.

Any suspect who confirms that he has been in Sonia's home before her murder has legitimate reason for his DNA being found in the house.  LE would have to have DNA evidence of him being there the night she was killed, eg his semon or his blood found at the scene. We don't know how Sonia was killed, but we know from unsubstantiated reports is that it was a bloody scene. If she was stabbed, there is good reason to think that the killer cut himself and left his DNA. If she was raped there would be DNA evidence. We don't know what DNA evidence LE have to justify a DNA swoop, but it is absurd to think they didn't eliminate POI's before they did it. jmo

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 24, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
Have faith - I agree with you.  Whomever did this, had knowledge of the neighbourhood, specifically the townhouses. 

If you look at the backyard, you will see a spade sticking in the ground, and clumps of soil, that looks like someone, perhaps an employee of the site, was doing some digging.  I wonder if his dna was ever collected?

The property managers at that time, also managed buildings on Jane Street, in Toronto.  A violent neighbourhood. Can't recall the company name, but did some research on them a long time ago, but did not post it - for obvious reasons.

jb