Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 406180 times)

Ron

• View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1455 on: February 04, 2019, 11:23:41 PM »
If it helps in any way to solve this case, I am interested.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
In all of the investigation in this high profile homicide, it is just so unusual that there have been no suspects. I always felt that it possibly could be someone that could have been moving about, working for awhile in that area and then going out of the country. It would be interesting to get a line on the individual that has a record of violence to see if he was in the area at the time. Any kind of clue should be followed up. Incredible time and money spent on trying to solve this case and still nobody has been arrested. I know all who are familiar with this case, will certainly be happy when the individual who is responsible is in custody. Also thanking all officers and detectives in all departments that have spent many hours on this one case, they have to be troubled indeed by not being able to get a hot suspect, that they can put the cuffs on and take him in.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:29:49 PM by capeheart »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 06, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
Would it interest anyone to know about a member of the Caledon equestrian community arrested and charged with an assortment of violent offences in 2017 while out of the country? Alcohol was involved. I don't know if this person was present in the area in 2010, but he spent several years there.

A brand ambassador for equine products links to the Greenhawk website on a Google search, but his testimonial about the products has been scrubbed once you get to the Greenhawk site.

This is the same person mentioned in my previous post. It's curious. The local newspaper ran an article on said person at the time of the American assault charges. Bad optics? Said brand ambassador's lawyers entered a guilty plea to a lesser charge in American court and paid a nominal fine.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 06, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
In all of the investigation in this high profile homicide, it is just so unusual that there have been no suspects. I always felt that it possibly could be someone that could have been moving about, working for awhile in that area and then going out of the country. It would be interesting to get a line on the individual that has a record of violence to see if he was in the area at the time. Any kind of clue should be followed up. Incredible time and money spent on trying to solve this case and still nobody has been arrested. I know all who are familiar with this case, will certainly be happy when the individual who is responsible is in custody. Also thanking all officers and detectives in all departments that have spent many hours on this one case, they have to be troubled indeed by not being able to get a hot suspect, that they can put the cuffs on and take him in.

Border crossing and immigration records should be able to prove when and where persons entered and exited the country.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 06, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
DNA comparisons would have been done.. Its an automatic function once a sample is entered into the system, cross border even..

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
DNA comparisons would have been done.. Its an automatic function once a sample is entered into the system, cross border even..

I doubt that every misdemeanor leads to a DNA sample, and that's what this was in the end, quickly pleading down to a crime that was settled with a relatively minor fine.

But I know little of the American justice system. It sure moves faster than our system, though.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 06, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
America has a slightly different system.. I don't know the nature of the charges spoken of in regard said individual but..
Currently, DNA collection is mandatory in all fifty states for certain felony crimes, mostly sexual assaults and homicides. 47 states also require DNA samples to be taken from all convicted felons. .

American Justice..
https://www.nij.gov/topics/forensics/evidence/dna/pages/collection-from-arrestees.aspx

The USA is far better than Canada at performing dna comparisons quickly and comprehensively.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 06, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
America has a slightly different system.. I don't know the nature of the charges spoken of in regard said individual but..
Currently, DNA collection is mandatory in all fifty states for certain felony crimes, mostly sexual assaults and homicides. 47 states also require DNA samples to be taken from all convicted felons. .

American Justice..
https://www.nij.gov/topics/forensics/evidence/dna/pages/collection-from-arrestees.aspx

The USA is far better than Canada at performing dna comparisons quickly and comprehensively.

The case in question was pleaded down to simple assault, and as far as I know this person had no record prior to the incident.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 16, 2019, 04:33:09 AM »
I’m going way back to the beginning....when Sonia first disappeared.

Why was BOTH front doors open on her vehicle (and the trunk), when it was first discovered in the parking lot?
Was there two perps??  Or did one perp open the doors and trunk, but why?
I never really understood that about Sonia’s car...but...ever since I came across the article about the Nurse that was murdered in Toronto and then the arrest of two guys (without addresses)..I’m thinking more about Sonia, another nurse.
.(Rhoderie Estrada...Solved cases)....need to keep a watch on the trial..need to know why two seemingly random guys broke into Rhoderie’s home and murdered her....
Now I really wonder about Sonia’s murder.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:55:01 AM by jobo »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 17, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
I’m going way back to the beginning....when Sonia first disappeared.

Why was BOTH front doors open on her vehicle (and the trunk), when it was first discovered in the parking lot?
Was there two perps??  Or did one perp open the doors and trunk, but why?
I never really understood that about Sonia’s car...but...ever since I came across the article about the Nurse that was murdered in Toronto and then the arrest of two guys (without addresses)..I’m thinking more about Sonia, another nurse.
.(Rhoderie Estrada...Solved cases)....need to keep a watch on the trial..need to know why two seemingly random guys broke into Rhoderie’s home and murdered her....
Now I really wonder about Sonia’s murder.

Re:  Rhoderie Estrada

Those two homeless guys entered her home through a side window, according to media reports. The attack took place in her bedroom. Did they know her from her work? Were they in treatment at the hospital where she worked? They did not remove her from her home, nor did they steal her vehicle, drive it out of town and return it to the general vicinity.

Given that the accused were 22 and 23 years old at the time of their arrests, it seems unlikely they were involved in Sonia's murder. Anything's possible, I guess, especially if substsnce abuse is involved. Remember when speculation was rife here  that Sonia's killer might have thought she had pharmaceuticals in her home?

Due to the organized/disorganized nature of Sonia's murder, her removal from the home and other factors like the car doors, I'm surprised it took eight years for police to admit that more than one person could have been involved on Sonia's murder.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 17, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »
The Police are quiet on the reasons why they say, more than one person may have been involved. They do say, "may". So unlikely that there was multiple dna profiles left behind. We "may" still be looking for just one at least to start with. Maybe there was help afterwards.
As far as the car doors, it is my understanding that the Police opened them all upon finding the vehicle, including the trunk to make sure a body was not contained within. Standard procedure I believe.

As far the organized, disorganized look to the crime, there may be reasons other than multiple persons involved. Redbeard, author and former poster at the time surmised that intoxication of some sort contributed to an act of passion crime with the killer then sobering up afterwards and his actions becoming more thought out and deliberate.  Hence the discrepancy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:51:04 PM by D1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 17, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »

I think the killer knew her, albeit in a casual way.....I believe he watched her townhouse to wait until her lights went out for the nite.
.  I also believe he has been practised at b&e', as well as a peeping Tom.  May have been slapped with fines. 

Saw an interesting program about how a person can open a locked sliding glass door.  I say this, as it is thought that she did not lock her door when she let the cat out.

Police should look at the perps in the area that might have been charged with something similar in the past (b&e's, Peeping Tom, etc.)

I believe he may have moved on, when he learned that the police were doing dna testing.
I never believed that this murder came from a dating site.  He knew the area very well, including the townhouses.  Also had confidence that the cops would not be patrolling the areas at that time of nite, early a.m when he removed her from her townhouse.

Was familiar with the routine of the neighborhood/ and the patrol times of the  cops.  If he was also involved in drugs, he surely would learn police patrol times in Orangeville, and hwy. And  there were not any patrols in Caledon and area at the time.  Police began patrolling that area after SV was murdered.  S0, perhaps he wasn't such a risk taker,as we were lead to believe. 

If he was part of the criminal element, he could have had a partner to come and help him, with a simple phone call.... ie moving her around.  She weighed 125 lbs so her mother said.....try and lift that unresponsive weight on your own. Frankly, judging by her pics, she possibly weighed a little more than that.  Faster and easier with two people.  With two people the exposure time would be far less, compared to one person struggling with a body.

jb
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:51:16 PM by jellybean »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 17, 2019, 04:27:12 PM »
The police said Sonia's killer was cold-blooded. Does this mean that he premeditated her murder? How could a premeditated murder fit with what little we know?

I agree that the behavior of someone in an alcohol- or drug-induced state could have disorganized and organized components.

We know nothing about what happened to Sonia inside her home that night. How can anyone recognize the behaviors of her murderer if they don't have a clue? No wonder no one has been caught.

We know that there was blood on her doorstep. We know that her blood-covered car was left near her home, after it was used to remove her body to where she was dumped in the countryside. We know police were looking for her missing bedding. We know about boots.

Would a person found NCR for murder be subject to DNA sampling?

What we don't know are all the important details. The  police strategy has not produced results. Will it ever? Sorry, Sonia.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Peeping Toms, can turn to rape.  Nothing was taken from her home. See my post 1466.

jb

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 17, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »
Peeping Toms, can turn to rape.  Nothing was taken from her home. See my post 1466.

jb

The "colonel effect".