Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 372801 times)

2soccermom

Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1410 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »
Not sure if folks have commented on this before or not, but; MY WORD! Margaret McWilliam (murdered in 1987 in TO -- her case was dubbed "the Cinderella murder") looks very like a young Sonia Varaschin in her photos. Do others see this? Coincidence - or?  I have just been reading up on Margaret's case following dotr's post on Sonia's thread on another site. While I understand LE in MMW's case believe her murder was not targeted (more a crime of opportunity) and in Sonia's that she was known to her killer and targeted specifically, I wonder if Sonia could have reminded him of the earlier, random crime? It is another small connection that they were both murdered at the end of August (1987/2010).
Dotr presented another possible connection in asking if someone is targeting health care workers (Sonia worked as a nurse, Margaret in a senior's home -- and Gracelyn Greenidge as a nursing assistant). Do others see a strong physical resemblance between the first two?
Since there is, apparently, DNA from both murders I assume a link has been ruled out (or we would have learned of a connection?) But to me the resemblance seems UNCANNY.....

Deb R

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 25, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Jellybean, can you please contact me? I have a photo of the address of the house we discussed. Took it today in Caledon.
Thanks, Deb R.

2soccermom

« Reply #1412 on: August 27, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
oh Deb R -- do you have any info you might like to share with the rest of us?
As the end of the month approaches and we have to face another "anniversary" with Sonia's killer or killers still lurking out there, I always feel both a sense of hope AND despair: it's usually this time of year that we get some update from LE, some news coverage.....
Here's this year's new idea:

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/8845079-ontario-cold-case-opp-could-be-searching-for-multiple-suspects-in-unsolved-sonia-varaschin-murder-case/
Quote:
"Det. Insp. Shawn Glassford says the OPP is closer to catching Sonia Varaschin’s killer today than it’s been in past years, but there is a chance homicide detectives are searching for more than one suspect.

Investigators are keeping an “open mind” accomplices or more than one attacker may have been involved in the circumstances surrounding the 42-year-old Orangeville nurse’s murder. Is the OPP confident it's searching for just one suspect?

“Not certain at all,” responds Glassford, the lead OPP investigator assigned to the case. “One, two or three people, we won’t get into how many we think were involved.”
Unquote.

I'm feeling hopeful that LE is "getting closer" but also depressed that there's no mention in the article of DNA found at the scene(s) or of the DNA sweep. The only mention of DNA is in relation to another case (Tremble, the man charged with murdering his wife whose defense argues the wife was likely killed by Sonia's murderer).
I am taking heart at the "being closer" idea, and hoping that the multiple accomplices idea isn't just smoke but has heat. I know there were some folks asking a lot of questions here about the former young neighbours.....

2soccermom

« Reply #1413 on: August 27, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
Similar info at https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/orangeville-nurse-murder-cops-float-theory-of-more-than-one-killer
I was always under the impression that the killer acted alone (hence why he wrapped her in bedsheets and why there was blood on the step and trunk of car; he was "dragging" rather than carrying her -- <sorry for graphic reference>) -- but both stories suggest this is mistaken, or are there accomplices "after the fact"?
LE has always suggested that someone "knows" something: does this suggest they have their eye on someone married, or rooming with someone? or?
I am hoping hoping hoping this is the year of justice for Sonia and her family.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
My accidental tea cup reading said that there were two people involved, of which I reported on this site ages ago.
Does anyone Remember that?  Also the letter H was important.

We will see..….  I don't do this very often, it is always a mystery, at least to me.... it usually is close to accurate.

Remember the letter H.

jb

Deb R

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 29, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
Hi, Jellybean
Did you get the photo I posted (and the street address of the house with the "H" on the roof)?
Cheers
Deb R.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 30, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
I just happen to think, if they didn't know if one or two were involved, wouldn't it be easy to tell by the skids on the sheet?  If one was involved, the skids would line up and off the sheet being dragged and perhaps other types of drag marks across the walk and to the car. Especially if it was too heavy for the perp to carry. However, if there were two people, wouldn't the skids be localised to the middle section of the carry since both ends would be up in the air? Perhaps the walk up to the car wouldn't be lined with a streak, but instead touched upon at times? 

Just a thought that makes me wonder what the pattern was like and what the sheet showed. And, if Sonia had any scrapes from the drag. I wonder if that would be telltale in any way?

Deb R

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 02, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
Hi, Jellybean. Yes, I read the quotes recently and just figured the police usually do an update in the week or so leading up to the anniversary of Sonia's death. So now they are saying it could be more than one person who was involved. People in the Caledon/Orangeville area, we are all still very puzzled why there has not been an arrest. Jellybean, can you message me with your email please? Will send the pics to you.
Deb R.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 09, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
Can anyone tell me what happened to the key to Sonia's car? I can't recall hearing if it was left in the ignition, or if it was ever found, or where.

“A friend, a co-worker or spouse will hold the key to solving this crime.’’

From: https://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion-story/2678965-police-should-say-more-about-orangeville-murder/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:24:06 PM by wellwell »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 10, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
It occurred to me last night how cryptic the police can be. What if they were being completely transparent about a friend, coworker or spouse (of the killer) who holds the key (to Sonia's car)? Was anyone asked to be a keyholder for a set of keys in the days following Sonia's death?

It also occurred to me that Sonia may have had a keyholder for her house keys...a friend or coworker, or their spouse. She may even have done the same with her car keys. Did we ever learn where she took her car for maintenance, or if she ever used a cleaning service for her home? Did she ever call a tow truck for a car lockout or a locksmith for her home?

We discussed the keys to her condo in the past, but what about those car keys? Where were both sets of car keys?

Thinking of a surprise attack on Sonia in the night while she slept, the killer already holding Sonia's house and car keys before he attacked her. There was no escape route, not even by car, except for the killer.  If the yelling and tire screeching in the night happened as she was attacked and shortly thereafter, there was no time to search for car keys after the fact. Would this bold killer take a chance on returning Sonia's keys to her home  after parking her car outside the equestrian shop? This would not be the act of someone who was drug-addled or otherwise intoxicated at the time, but the act of someone who planned a total annihlation and thought about the steps involved beforehand -- someone who knew her very well. Not random, not a stalker.

Where were her car keys after the murder?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:16:53 AM by wellwell »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 10, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
All very good questions, wellwell. Her family would have the answers regarding keys.

They have remained silent for years. We may never know the answers.

He might have known where she kept her keys, which could indicate that he knew her quite well.  Or, he might have hot wired the car. Used a coat hanger to unlock the door.  Somehow I do not believe the latter.

jb
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:21:40 PM by jellybean »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 03, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
This article reminds me of what made Sonia so special to her patients and those who knew her outside of work. This is not about her, but about the kind of people who look after teddy bears for very sick children. It's so sad that there is no justice for Sonia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45727387

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 04, 2018, 07:36:42 PM »
First the police were sure that only one person was involved, but someone in the community knows something.
This last comment is not unusual.  Cops say that most of the time in most homicides, so I have recently noticed.

The abuse of alcohol or drugs, is usually added in most profiles.  In fact the profile given by the detective is almost identical to profiles given by other cops for other homicides, It is basically generic.  I no longer get excited when I read them.  No longer believe that the killer will be caught when such a profile is used.

At first, it had to be dating sites.  They tracked down 600 men and took their dna  That did not pan out. What a big show that was!!
Now in 2o18 they tell the public that there might have been more than one person, in fact maybe 2  or 3.

Prior to that last statement, they declared that they have a dna process using genomes to assist with identifying the killer.

I am beginning to believe that they have placed this on the back burner, and throw out a public announcement every now and then with hopes that it will satisfy the public for the time being.
I don't believe they  are doing anything.

I hope her family members are contacting the detectives on a regular basis to push for a reopening of Sonia's murder by the Cold Case squad - if one even exists. Or perhaps she does not qualify as it has only been 8 years, not 25.

jb

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:42:40 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:29 AM »
There has not been a similar murder since Sonia was murdered.
Not many murders where the perp murders the victim in her home, then uses the victim’s car to remove her and  drops her several Kim’s from home on a side road, and then returns the car back to a downtown parking spot.
Yes, there has been many murders in Ontario...but none that I’ve heard of with this M/O.
Is it someone that knew Sonia and tried to distance himself by removing Sonia...did he think he would have more time if he removed Sonia from her home? She might not have been found for months, but was found sooner....
More time to do what though...finish a job....leave the province?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 14, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
Wonder if  Sonia May have been fatally injured but still alive, and the killer had put her in the car with thoughts of taking her to the hospital. She may have passed in the car, then in a panic he abandones plan A and decides to cover up by taking the car away from the scene etc.