Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 413265 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
CORRECTION;  Sonia was found Beechgrove Side Road at Mountainview Road. I always refer to it as just Beechgrove Side Road. I think we have a map of this on Thread #1 submitted by Mom, and it might also be in Timeline.

JB

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »
Picture of Sonia's house taken from Toronto Star website story on "unaware buyer", which shows what looks like a repair to the garage door.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1062218--buyer-unaware-of-orangeville-home-s-grim-history-abandons-sale#comments

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
Thanks Dew, great find.  Painted repair in same paint but not faded in colour like the rest of the door. 

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
I don't think that's a "cup" on Sonia's front steps, it looks more like a plastic plant container, void of its plant.   It would fit that there might be one of those left on the front verandah and that it could be possibly knocked over during the perp's exit.

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
  I can still see that black thing on the side of the wall.

joojoo

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
CORRECTION;  Sonia was found Beechgrove Side Road at Mountainview Road. I always refer to it as just Beechgrove Side Road. I think we have a map of this on Thread #1 submitted by Mom, and it might also be in Timeline.

JB

Looking on the map---Beechgrove Sideroad connects to Airport Road and this goes through to the Toronto International Airport where there are lots of hotels. Was the FBI called in because they think there is a connection to this? Maybe a convention and someone was on dating sites? Wonder if LE checked into special events going on at that time and guests?

Coral

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
In the previous thread, there were photos of Sonia's home with an upstairs window open.  I wonder if she would have the air conditioner running if she opened the window?

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2012, 11:50:07 PM »
JB says it was hot out at the time. how hot? How well was the ac working?

It is 11.8 miles from Sonia's home to where Sonia's body was found. 17 minutes depending upon route but similar distances. This seems fastest, but not as quiet as straight up beachgrove. new link to come-

This is the parking spot off the side of where Sonia's body was found. There are not many of these sort of private spots along that road. Have to use zoom and look around the treed areas to see this is a bit rare.

In some ways, I thought of Sveltka the edmonton killer and the sort of spots he took the girls he killed. But, his victims were picked up and willing went, Sonia was taken unwillingly and just left there. But the question who knew of, or looked for, or used that type of spot, and for what, is relevant to the discussion. I'm not sure how easy this would be to spot from the road at night. Perhaps thats why the Police say the perp had to know the area well. He knew where he was going.. and... he could park out of sight. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:54:35 PM by D1 »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »
So, Sonia's body was found within the 12 mile radius you spoke of in Natasha's thread, jellybean.  You had mentioned that the FBI says a majority (86%) of victims are disposed of within 12 miles of the crime scene.

If the perp used the driveway to park, My first thought was then it is kindof strange that he left Sonia's body closer to the main road of Beechgrove, rather than the driveway, but then I think...why not?  Less chance of a pedestrian.  But he was wrong, a pedestrian found her.

Not sure if Beechgrove is even wide enough to pull over onto the shoulder....anyone else know?  Some secondary roads aren't wide enough to pull over on without partially blocking the lane.

Deb R

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 07:05:18 AM »
Beech Grove Sideroad is like most gravel side roads, wide enough that you could pull over without blocking traffic. But there is little traffic on that section of Beech Grove, as most locals prefer to use the main north/south (Highway 10/Airport Road) or east/west roads (Highway 9 or Charleston Road). Unless you are a farmer or live on one of the sideroads.  So yes, I agree that it would have been someone familiar with the sideroads of Caledon.

Deb R

Dannybam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »
An enhanced image of the repaired garage door and remaining black "something" on the landing wall.  I've posted this and the original to the timeline/facts board, credit to Dew of course.

By it's presence, I think we can conclude that whatever that thing on the wall leading into the home is, it's not evidence, and not out of place, or it would have been removed for resale.

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 07:47:45 AM »
Aug. 29, 2010 was very hot and QUITE humid right up until late evening, by my recollection. 

To check weather for that date, go to the following link and search "Orangeville ON, Aug 29, 2010".  (It will show the weather reported in Elora, which is close.)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=historical&placecode=caon0505

I would imagine Sonia had her window closed and a/c on, if there was a/c.  I think it was breezy that night, but keeping the windows shut to keep the humidity out is the thing to do, even without a/c.

EDIT:  change date to Aug 29 from Aug. 30
EDIT:  clarify Weather Network link information
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:33:41 AM by Dew »

Dew

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
Dannybam, thanks for that.

Re the "thing" on the side of the garage, perhaps it is an opening device?  If there's no door to the interior from the garage, this is the control?  (btw, I don't believe there's a door to the interior...I recall seeing a CTV video reporting (which I can't find now) on the day Sonia went missing.  It showed the officers - without shoe coverings - walking the property, and one officer standing in the garage, scratching his head, literally.  There was no door, iirc.)

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
A keypad entry for the garage door?

Dannybam

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
Yeah, Dew,

I don't know what that little black thing could be.  I don't have anything mounted outside of my doors.  I guess it could be a button for the garage door.  It's possibly a magnet-operated lock control for the front door.  A swipey thng.  If that were true it could have made access into the townhouse after an assault much easier.

It seems some links and materials have gone missing from various websites.  Do we know if anyone has made a kind of online collection of videos, articles and photos?  I'd like to have a view of the back of the building, for example, but it's nowhere to be found.