Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 393872 times)

discus

• View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
Yes like refusing to invite him in.    Did we figure out what time the bar closes at?  1 or 2?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
Quote joojoo: I am wondering if the perp removed Sonia's body because he wanted a time lapse between her missing and then the confirmed murder? 

This was exactly my take on it a long while ago/jb

But that should not negate the possibility that he lived very close to her area, and wanted to remove her from the area to distance himself from his horrific crime.

Air Conditioner?  Is that an outdoor air conditioning unit beside her house? (thanks db for the pic)
Very important to know.
and - I do no not see a mailbox?   How come?

jb
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:00:50 AM by jellybean »

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
Looks like ac or heat pump.  If ac, may not be using it at end of August.  Super mail box possibly in the neighborhood for mail delivery?

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
Minor point,
the actual quote from the reporter re the blood spatter was-
Her blood-spattered Toyota No distinction made between spatter being inside or out. I would assume i was a reference to the outside myself by the pictures and description. And, it is just a reporter's term, not an actual official forensic blood spatter definition.

Thanks for the link- Db 
http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-09-02/Front_Page/Foul_play_seen_in_nurses_disappearance.html

Her blood-spattered Toyota Corolla was discovered Monday by the alley at the east side of the town hall, reportedly with its front doors and truck open. A news release said blood was also found in her apartment, and a television newscast said blood was found on the handle of her townhouse entrance door.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »
Re: Blood on handle of front door.  That is there because he closed the door behind him. Thanks D!
When all flooring was replaced, I am assuming that it had to be because of the crime scene.
I will have to come back and modify this to include the link re: replaced the flooring.
Here it is;  http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1082197--varaschin-s-home-sold-buyer-unaware-of-history
Although the two-storey townhouse has been re-painted, and new flooring installed,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:53:17 AM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
I believe in the past, we had been led to believe there was no connecting door to the garage.

The outdoor ac units are good if big enough and in good shape. They can be noisy especially the older ones which would help to muffle and disguise some noise. If not that efficient would windows and doors get left open?

Re the gunshot the day before, dependant upon degree of planning and premeditation? Could the gunshot have been a test of Police response time?

Re the location Sonia was found.. if you zoom in and look around that spot on the google map, you see a side road and a parking spot made to order off the right hand side that may be out of sight any possible traffic. Le has said they believe the perp to be very familiar with that area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103309402336490999288.00048f8d1be3b84c5c24f

LE also claims they have a belief the perp may have been on a dating site. Sonia was missing most that day, her whereabouts unaccounted for. If an innocent meeting with an Innocent party, should that party not have come forward and said so by now? Sonia appears a very sociable person and I am assuming she did not go off doing things alone for any reason especially after telling family she would be elsewhere. 

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
JB, ac works in 2 stories - basement cold, main floor comfy,  2nd floor not As cool as main floor.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Re: AC - thanks :)
37 minute drive to where she was dropped off and car parked?  That is some drive.
I can't get into the map, all that I can see is the map itself - will have to play with it.
I do know that there was a retaining wall further in, which belonged to a residence.  I will try and find that link.
(Here is a link - not the one that I was looking for, but close enough to give you an idea) There was a residence there.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/locals-fear-mounting-body-count-in-idyllic-corner-of-gta/article4210398/

She was on the other side of it. Her "spot" was in a wooded area, further in off the road, with swamp and bullrushes.  So the perp still had a distance to carry her from the car to where he left her.
At times, I often wonder if he had some help. (sorry, I can't help myself, but perhaps another person was involved in helping with the disposing of her, somewhere along this terrible journey.

JB
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:28:56 PM by jellybean »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
on the left side of the map, double click the icon that represents where her body was found. Then you can zoom in and look around.

Distance and terrain can be viewed. Valuable for size estimate of suspect, familiarity etc..

The spot chosen does seem to be only a temporary place holder as if not planned to hide her forever. as opposed burying her in the swamp.

joojoo

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
Thanks JB-----do you know how far it is from where the car was parked off the road to where they found Sonia?  The perp would  possibly have been able to carry/drag the body if he in fact had already shown the strength to carry her down stairs, put her in a car, etc.  and in a panic had increased strength. If another person was slightly involved wouldn't he have come forward by now? imo There must be some clues to get a break in this case soon.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
Joojoo: The distance from the road was never given, except that if you looked close enough from the road, you can see the white cross which has been place there from friends.  So, she would not necessarily be visible from the road.  A walker with his/her dog discovered her. Yes, as you say,  he may well have dragged her there himself.
Yes D1, it seems that he did not really attempt to hide her very well.
That is what makes me feel that he was in a state of panic, and had to remove her remains from her home.  To him, that was imperative, to get her out of her home. That was first and foremost on his mind.

I have the impression that where he left her was secondary to him - just get her out of town into a wooded area -
There were apparently other roads closer by, and yet he chose that one.  I wonder if that road had more woods? - And it has been said that one could be on that road and never see another vehicle, and he may have known that. LE say that the perp knew that area, either through work, recreation or illegal activity.
Will look at the map - thanks!
JB
ps:  Another BIG QUESTION that I have.  If it was imperative that he remove her from home and he used her car.  Why not just abandon her car with her in it?  Why drive it back to Orangeville?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:58:20 PM by jellybean »

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
He had to get to the isolated area somehow and back to his own car/bus.   If he had left his car there it means he would have had to walk into town and wasn't that energetic.  I think he's accountable to someone and that's why he didn't involve his own car. 
Have we looked at the bus schedule at that time of night?   I don't think I can see him waiting for a bus - a vulnerable position.   
As far as the cover of the  woods go, reminds me of other cases - a woman was found deceased behind a college in the woods; burned on a path.    The woods seem to offer slot of security for criminals: Abducted from a wooded bike path, murdered; abducted from a wooded walking path in the suburbs and murdered in a house. 

SAP

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »
Air Conditioner?  Is that an outdoor air conditioning unit beside her house?

If the unit is approx 2.5' by 2.5' by 2.5' ... they work very well. If regularly maintained they don't make alot of noise (nothing more than a loud hum), and they are very efficient for cooling all levels including upstairs.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
Discus:  I can't picture this guy bussing, around 4 am on a Monday.  He would be covered in blood.
He may have lived in Orangeville though, and walked back home, provided it was a short distance.  It would still be somewhat dark, albeit the sun may have been coming up (not sure about down east as to sunrise in the late August.) I think the killer (am coming to my own conclusion here, either lived in Orangeville or Caledon) - not Barrie, not Toronto etc.
A very local individual. Just my opinion - others may have counter thoughts.
Why?  He knew that there were no cameras as to where he parked her car. The entrance way to the parking lot which he used did not have a camera.  The second entrance way did have a camera.
So he used the first.

2- he knew enough about the route to Beechgrove sideroad that he could drive it in very low beam.
Probably knew that route so well, that he could drive it blind folded.

3. He knew enough about the cops, their usual Sunday routes, early a.m routes, and therefore was not afraid of even being stopped. Note: he drove her there, and drove back (with blood outside of her car).  Confidence that the cops would not be patrolling at that time or hour on his route to Beechgrove Sideroad.

That is what makes me think that he probably lived in Orangeville or Caledon.

JB - Thanks SAP for your post on AC. Sorry, I posted at the same time.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
I think the term blood spattered was used by the media not the Le so I believe it was just a choice of words for the article writer as opposed to a fact.