Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 409732 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1470 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
Yes, well well * the same effect.

jb

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 18, 2019, 04:00:17 AM »
The problem here is that in Part 1... the early news accounts are stating that Sonia’s car WAS found with front doors and trunk open.
Like I mentioned....this is niggling at me ever since I read about Rhoderie’s murder (solved crimes).
I realize that the two perps arrested for Rhoderie’s murder would have been too young to have done this to Sonia,..but it just got me really wondering why they murdered Rhoderie....random?
Hopefully answers come out in the trial..
Maybe it will shed some light on Sonia’s puzzling murder...although the police never did say they had DNA from two perps...but then again, they really haven’t been that forthright with info.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 18, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
The problem here is that in Part 1... the early news accounts are stating that Sonia’s car WAS found with front doors and trunk open.
Like I mentioned....this is niggling at me ever since I read about Rhoderie’s murder (solved crimes).
I realize that the two perps arrested for Rhoderie’s murder would have been too young to have done this to Sonia,..but it just got me really wondering why they murdered Rhoderie....random?
Hopefully answers come out in the trial..
Maybe it will shed some light on Sonia’s puzzling murder...although the police never did say they had DNA from two perps...but then again, they really haven’t been that forthright with info.

Yes, the doors were open in early reports. Then that issue became muddy. There were also reports of evidence found in garbage bins in Orangeville. That, too, became muddy.

You're right about other crimes, that one in Toronto included, possibly providing insight, even if not related to this crime.

When jellybean mentioned peeping toms, I started looking into it, and learned that in some cases, peeping toms enter a victim's home prior to entering it when the victim is home. They will unlatch a window, or unlock a door that isn't used often, and leave. This allows them to re-enter the victim's home later with little effort, and no sign of a break-in. Doesn't that sound familiar?

Lest we forget, Russell Williams started out stalking victims as a peeping tom. He entered homes (sometimes through basement windows) when the victims were out, and later escalated to sexual assault and murder. He used "jogging" as a cover.

Paul Bernardo also started out as a peeping tom.

All things to consider.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 18, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »
Adding interesting items from Orangeville news:

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/7146117-review-launched-into-sexual-assault-claims-deemed-unfounded-by-orangeville-police/

https://www.orangevillepolice.ca/blog/2017/04/20/orangeville-police-reviews-unfounded-sexual-assault-cases/

"Your Orangeville Police, at the request of Chief Wayne Kalinski, has completed a comprehensive review of all sexual assault cases that were classified as unfounded since 2010.

Chief Kalinski requested the review after a report in the Globe and Mail newspaper criticizing police services across Canada regarding sexual assault investigations that ended up being classified as “unfounded” between 2010 and 2014. The review was conducted by officers from the services Criminal Investigations Bureau, under the direction of the Staff Sergeant of Operations.

Thirty-eight sexual assault incidents were re-opened and reviewed. Reports were reviewed by trained sexual assault investigators and complainants/victims were contacted directly by the officers to discuss the incidents.  All of the victims reported that they were satisfied with the outcome of their respective investigation.

The administrative portion of the review identified that the clearing and classification of several incidents was not in line with Stats Canada definitions. As a result, twelve incidents remained classified as “unfounded”.  These incidents remained as such when the investigation determined that police were not able to form the required grounds to confirm that the offence of a sexual assault had indeed been committed.

The process also included the implementation of an Orangeville Police Service Sexual Assault Review Team, made up of members the service’s management team and Criminal Investigations Unit as well as civilian members from Dufferin Child and Family Services and Caledon Dufferin Victim Services. The Sexual Assault Review Team assisted in the auditing process and approved the results of the review.  This team, initiated as a result of this review, will continue to meet to review all future reported sexual assault cases.

“I want to assure the public that the Orangeville Police Service has and will continue to treat victims of crime with the utmost respect and that investigations will continue to be conducted in a professional and complete manner”, said Chief Kalinski.

Posted on April 20, 2017"

Why 2010? Why would there be a problem with the rate of sexual assaults deemed unfounded by police in Orangeville? Does this indicate a broader problem? Do we know if Sonia ever filed a police report (other than noise complaints) and if so, how was it handled? Back in the day some police departments didn't respond to "domestic" calls, or took their time getting there.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/4036570-cyclist-wanted-in-orangeville-sexual-assault/

Note the use of a bicycle.

There was a rash of indecent act cases in Orangeville following Sonia's murder, including one in a Walmart, and one in the early morning in a park on Marshall Crescent.  There was this:

https://www.southwesternontario.ca/news-story/5800856-police-seek-man-who-committed-indecent-act/

Sonia worked in Newmarket. This case of indecent acts in parking lots of area malls in 2010 is of interest. Criminal harassment, too. Did someone follow Sonia home?

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/police-looking-for-more-witnesses-to-indecent-acts-1.1511432/comments-7.448598
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:13:53 PM by wellwell »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
About her car. 

When a vehicle is involved in a potential crime, the cops open the trunk and doors to take pictures of same.  By that time, the press had been alerted and took pics of the car with trunk and doors open.  According to onlookers, the car doors and trunk were closed when they first spotted it.

About her bike. 

When pics were published of her car, one of her neighbours who was being interviewed by the press, asked the question, where is her bike?  It was always on her roof rack during summer months?

I am assuming that her Dad removed it when he washed her car that day.

The police have never answered this obvious question and her mother has never mention it.
Is this bike a hold back by police?

She had a bike rack in her own garage, and it was empty. Did the killer remove it from her vehicle parked behind the tac shop, and bike home?

Re - sexual assaults
quote Police Chief Kalinski

According to a national investigation by the Globe and Mail, the OPS cleared 38 of 145 cases, or 26 per cent, as unfounded from 2010 to 2014.
The data shows Orangeville police officers cleared 25 per cent of allegations in 2010 (nine of 36),

What about those that were not cleared (27) in 2010 and onward?

jb.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:06:50 PM by jellybean »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 19, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
Thanks, jb. There really was a lot going on in terms context in Orangeville and area in 2010. It is not comforting context, either.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
The list of crimes solved using DNA websites keeps on growing. Take a look at the impressive number of cases cracked by family tree genealogy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_perpetrators_of_crimes_arrested_or_identified_with_GEDmatch.com

Family Tree DNA has now entered the fray.

Will Sonia’s killer’s DNA be submitted? It only takes one relative to step forward and submit a sample to one of these sites.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 21, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
Is it possible that Sonia was attacked and killed by someone who quickly fled the country? Yes. Well, guess what. There is a history of Chilean gangs breaking into homes in the Halton area, including Oakville.

These people often dress like construction workers. Would they buy work clothes in Canada to fit in? Would they buy the most expensive work boots for this purpose? I don't think so. Would they own and register vehicles? I don't think so. It is said that they prefer to avoid violence, but what if they couldn't avoid it?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/14-chileans-arrested-in-2-7m-break-and-enter-ring-targeting-hundreds-of-toronto-area-homes-1.3872260

https://globalnews.ca/news/5078460/crime-tourism-canada/

The same thing is happening in the U.K.

In 2010, a Toronto woman was deported for affiliating with a Chilean gang in Canada. So obviously one gang has been around since at least 2010 in Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/09/22/woman_deported_for_tie_to_gang_she_never_joined.html

It is well past time to consider all possibilities. It's almost nine years since Sonia was murdered. There were also gangs operating in Oakville in 2007..

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2952633-gang-preying-on-north-oakville-youths/

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 21, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
It’s hard to predict how a perp will react...Lets just say, if you fight back...they may kill you, but if you comply, they won’t harm you. Or, you may fight back and they may take off running.
i am Of the opinion Sonias murder was more personal...but that’s just my opinion...and we just don’t have enough info.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 25, 2019, 09:45:45 PM »
It’s hard to predict how a perp will react...Lets just say, if you fight back...they may kill you, but if you comply, they won’t harm you. Or, you may fight back and they may take off running.
i am Of the opinion Sonias murder was more personal...but that’s just my opinion...and we just don’t have enough info.

True, jobo. There isn’t enough info. And without more info made available to the public, this case could well end up like the case of Thera Dieleman. Information that might have been helpful to potential witnesses at the time isn’t so helpful 30 years later. At least in that case investigators decided to use Parabon DNA.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 24, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
I hope someone can explain to me the decision-making process behind putting resources into investigating cold cases. For example, how was Thera Dieleman's case prioritized over other, more recent cold case murders? There are not unlimited resources, so what goes into one case takes away from others. It would be interesting to learn how and why this happens.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 16, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
In just over a year, Sonia's murder will slip into the category of "historical" -- 10 or more years old. I can't believe it has been almost nine years since her life was stolen away, and I think the chance of getting answers as an historical case is very low.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 30, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
FYI, I posted in Veronica Kaye's thread.

She was also murdered in roughly the same area 30 years prior, in 1980. Andy Karski was involved in her case, too, and held a press conference about the cold case in Bolton back in 2009, about 10 months before Sonia was murdered.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/11/03/ontario_police_chase_new_lead_in_29yearold_murder.html

She was about to begin a new job in Mississauga. The Square One Shopping Centre was Veronica's last known destination. Sonia had begun a new job in Mississauga shortly before her murder.

Veronica Kaye's body was found at Humber Station Road and Castlederg Sideroad, in/near the Bolton Resource Management Tract. Sonia Varaschin's body was found at Mountainview Road and Beechgrove Sideroad, in/near the Caledon Tract. Both are heavily wooded areas, less than 20 minutes apart. Video here:

https://youtu.be/rrSQ6rsm27c

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/9106384-ontario-cold-case-family-police-still-seek-answers-to-murder-of-teen-38-years-later/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:46:31 PM by wellwell »

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
Brother of murdered Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin thanks whoever made sister's memorial more accessible

A stone marker anchors a white cross dressed with fresh flowers along the less-travelled dirt road where Sonia Varaschin’s body was found. The flowers are replaced regularly, sometimes even watered. Nearly nine years later, the caretaker(s) continue to wait for an arrest.

This couldn't have been done by accident.

After someone recently visited the roadside memorial for murdered Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin, her brother, Viv, shared a picture of something we hadn’t seen before.

A culvert has been installed directly in front of his sister’s stone memorial. Images he posted online show a seasonal current of knee-high water flowing through the new culvert.

“It’s been a long while since posting. Think of you every day,” Viv stated in a comment posted in a Facebook group dedicated to his sister’s memory on Wednesday (June 12).

“I do not know who put in a culvert at Sonia’s memorial site,” the post continued. “But thank you for doing this for us.”

The culvert was not there when a Banner reporter last visited the site shortly before the ninth anniversary of Sonia’s slaying in August of 2018.

An about three to four-foot gap existed between the stone memorial and the edge of the road’s shoulder. The ditch made it much more difficult to get close to the monument.

The stone marker placed near where Sonia Varaschin's body was found reads: "If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again."

It’s been nearly nine years since a white Toyota Corolla with blood smeared on its bumper was found abandoned behind Orangeville Town Hall on Aug. 30, 2010. The vehicle ownership would lead police to Sonia’s townhome on Spring Street.

Other than blood discovered inside, Sonia was nowhere to be found and there was no sign of forced entry. On Sept. 5, 2010, Sonia’s body was discovered by a person walking their dog on Beech Grove Sideroad, a few hundred metres beyond a bend along the dirt road east of St. Andrews Road in Caledon.

Prior to the anniversary of her death last year, The Banner spoke with Det. Insp. Shawn Glassford, the lead investigator in her case. He indicated the OPP was closer to catching Sonia’s killer today than it’s been in past years.

There is a chance police are searching for more than one suspect. Glassford said investigators are keeping an “open mind” accomplices or more than one attacker may have been involved in the circumstances surrounding her death.

“One, two or three people, we won’t get into how many we think were involved,” Glassford told The Banner in August of 2018.

“We haven’t ruled that out or anything out as far as who did this,” he added. “We’re open-minded. We don’t have a closed mind as to who did this, who may have done this. Anything is possible.”

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/9435311-brother-of-murdered-orangeville-nurse-sonia-varaschin-thanks-whoever-made-sister-s-memorial-more-accessible/

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 19, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
Absolutely, it was a very thoughtful gesture for someone to actually install a culvert to help access to Sonia's memorial marker from the road. Since this is the location where her body was found, I find it a bit eerie that Sonia's family has no idea who went to all that trouble. This effort is beyond a caring stranger leaving a bouquet of flowers at the site, which people tend to do at first, and friends tend to do for a few years.  But this culvert was built 9 years after her murder, sometime within the last year, without the family being told about it, or knowing who did it.

Hopefully a modest  friend will tell the family that they constructed the culvert. That is the likely outcome. But if nobody comes forward, I would be a bit disturbed at trying to visualize who would feel the emotional need to maintain the site where her murdered body was dumped and not come forward to share this with her family.

Just some thoughts.