Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 405773 times)

D1

• View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1425 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »
Interesting scenario that might provide an explanation for what has so far not made much sense. Originally it was suggested that the killer may have been intoxicated. Sure thats possible but in some ways that's an easy way out of finding an explanation that fits with everything else.

A side note though, it appears that Sonia was loaded into the trunk of her car right from the original crime scene at her home. Not sure an act of regret and compassion would result in that as opposed putting her in a front seat and rushing her to the hospital. Panic may or may not be involved here. It does not appear that a gun was used and given the amount of blood left behind it is likely a knife wound which often results in a slower death. There is merit to this idea Solvy imo which then goes to a bit of behavioural analysis to identify the kind of person and possible relationship of that person to Sonia.   

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 17, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
Maybe it was just easier or faster to place her in the trunk.  If a knife was used, that would change my thoughts  somewhat about the killer.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 17, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
I only suggest it was a knife due lack of noise attributable to gunshots and the amount of blood for which neither strangulation nor blunt force trauma can cause. If a knife, you head more towards a deliberate act as opposed a heated discussion gone unpremeditatively  bad.. (sure that's a word) But yes the detail changes how you look at it. The trunk thing and removal of body? Still unexplained satisfactorily.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:00:14 AM by D1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 18, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
I believe a knife was used.  She bled profusely.  Her townhouse was covered in it.   The family had to put in new flooring, paint, etc.  She fought but lost.

God love her.  Whomever did this, and if he knew her, I hope he has nightmares until he dies.  I hope his relationships with people are stunted, exhausted by  having to put on a big happy innocent face, but  rots internally in knowing what he did!!

Never any peace, terrible flashbacks, nervous, expecting cops to knock on his door. Drinking too much - sleepless nights, and having to take tranks in order to give day time relief.

jb
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:36:31 PM by jellybean »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 21, 2018, 07:32:17 PM »
I always felt that this crime could be just someone who knew Sonia's everyday comings and goings. That they may have seen her picture on a dating site. It may have been someone she did not know where she lived and they found out. It could be someone she rejected in some way. I did not realize that the crime scene was so bloody, that is the first time I was aware of that. It just amazes me that after all the investigation the officers did in this and I know it was a high priority case, that they don't know who did this violent crime. I always felt that the person could be in close proximity to where she lived.  The reason being is, they drove her away from the residence. So why do that, it kind of boggles the mind. Why take the time to remove her from the scene, that would take time and they could get caught. Why take her to the place he or they did. Could it be just a thrill killing, to initiate to prove something. It has happened before, we hear of young people that do this.  I always felt this was someone younger that committed this crime.  Someone that has anger issues and would be known in a group of young people. They always know who has a short fuse, so to say, someone who just goes off the rails, if they don't get their own way. This killer could be from the US or another country and could be long gone.  It would be helpful to get information from other crimes over the border and even in Europe.  There could be some similarity in the crimes.  :( :( :(  Hopefully, this crime will be solved.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 12, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
I am following the arrest of a suspect in the 1998 murder of Renee Sweeney in Sudbury. In that case, her killer stabbed her 30 times before fleeing in bloody clothes in broad daylight. He left DNA at two locations, a partial fingerprint and a footprint. Now 20 years later, Robert Steven Wright, an emergency room lab technician ftom North Bay, has been arrested as a suspect in the murder.

Is the overkill in Sonia's case anything close to what happened to Renee? Surely the killer's DNA in Sonia's caae was already compared to the DNA left at Renee's murder?

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 13, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
I went back to this three-year-old article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/sweeney-murder-dna-1.3250941

In it, criminologist Michael Arntfield of the University of Western Ontario questions if the DNA registry is working as it should:

It was extremely unusual that someone who committed such a violent crime did not commit any other violent crimes and didn't end up in the DNA registry, he said.

"Violent people tend to continue to be violent until they're caught, Arntfield added.

"I see DNA in these cases," he said. "And I have to wonder whether the system is working as it should."

And the same applies in Sonia's case, IMO. It would be surprising if Sonia's killer never again committed a violent act that landed him in the DNA registry.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 13, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/never-a-cold-case-robert-steven-wright-39-of-north-bay-facing-1st-degree-murder-charge-in-sweeney-case-1156638

Pedersen did confirm that he was not aware of any past criminal record for Wright or if there had been any past contact with the police.

His trial would be interesting to follow, wellwell.  What was his motive? He got into the health care system, and appeared to lead a normal life and kept his nose clean. Stabbing a human being 30 times shows rage.  I wonder if the Adult film business angered him? And the fact that a woman was renting these films, angered him even more?

There is no mentioning of wife and children.

jb

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:57:41 PM by jellybean »

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 14, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
Jellybean, I noted that the Sudbury police had enlisted the help of Parabon. I wonder if this allows some sort of loophole not currently available to Canadian police, like the use of familial DNA or GEDmatch genealogy. The police there mentioned that missing person DNA and unidentified remains DNA is now allowed on the Canadian DNA registry, but that could be a red herring, and all of this could come down to an old-fashioned tip. Seems unlkely that anyone with suspicions or who actually helped the suspect in some way would come forward now. It's much more likely, I think, that some relative was doing fsmily tree research.

The person who killed Sonia seems to have some things in common with the person who killed Renee Sweeney -- unafraid of being seen covered in blood in a public place, someone who knew the immediate area of the crime scene, someone strong enough for extreme violence, an invisible man bland enough to blend into the woodwork after an extremely violent murder, with no one the wiser: a nobody.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 16, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
wellwell…..unafraid to be seen covered in blood in a public place [/quote]

The murder of SV took place under the cover of darkness, and neighbours were in bed.

so if he parked her car and walked or drove his vehicle home no one would be all the wiser. ???

I agree with the rest of your thinking.

jb

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »
True, it was dark when Sonia was taken from her home, but I don't think her killer was afraid of being seen at all. I don't even think being seen entered his mind as a possibility, nor did it matter to him.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 17, 2018, 06:20:59 PM »
I guess nothing can be ruled out but it does seem a bit incongruent that someone would be concerned enough to remove a body supposedly to hide whatever evidence could be gleaned and yet have no concerns over being seen all covered in blood. As far as we know, no one was seen that fits with that descriptor.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 27, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
It doesn't fit with the organized/disorganized killer theory. He murdered her in her own home, presumably, leaving behind a chaotic crime scene, yet removed her from her home by driving her car, covered in blood, presumably to hide DNA evidence on her body. Then he made the high-risk move of returning her blood-covered car to a location near the crime scene. Despite leaving his DNA behind, the screaming, the screeching tires and moving the blood-covered car around while he must have been covered in blood himself, no one saw a thing. Turns out all these high-risk decisions were actually very low-risk in Orangeville. All he needed was nightfall to get away with this. And that he did.

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 29, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »
I think the last anniversary announcement by the police was directly related to the organized/disorganized nature of the crime scene, which can be a sign that more than one person was involved in committing a murder. Surely this occurred to them back in 2010? Seems that they're grasping at straws.

Whatever became of that DNA they said they had?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 29, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
I think the last anniversary announcement by the police was directly related to the organized/disorganized nature of the crime scene, which can be a sign that more than one person was involved in committing a murder. Surely this occurred to them back in 2010? Seems that they're grasping at straws.

Whatever became of that DNA they said they had?

Good questions  There were three crime scenes, and it is still not solved.

Apparently, they do have DNA, but so far no match.  I have often wondered if others were involved.
ie: Help in removing her from her townhouse, etc.

jb