Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2  (Read 410434 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Sonia's thread has become very long and hard to navigate.

As we've done in the past with a few other cases, another thread has been created for the ongoing discussion regarding her murder.

Please continue....

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Sonia Varaschin | 42 | Orangeville | Murder | August 29, 2010 | Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
Sonia Varaschin Part 1 can be found at the link below:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3781.0

Also see: Sonia Varaschin - Timeline of Events 

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4931.0

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Of all the discussions going on, Sonia's case has continued to attract and hold the attention of most everyone who hears of her strange situation. Something about her, something about the circumstances won't let people forget. That's a good thing. There is a killer on the loose in that area and there are lingering questions about whether there are even more victims of the same perpetrator.

There are many pages of past discussion to wade through in part one much of it very interesting but thankfully there is also a facts page that helps considerably. I would encourage everyone old and new to read and refresh their knowledge before proceeding too far into our new thread. Many of the facts posted there simplify the possible theories and scenarios. Not all, but does provide a bit of a guideline. The news reports give a very good summary of what has happened to date and gives a general perspective to work from.

We left off on thread 1 reconsidering some of what we had believed correct and true in the past and the debate carried on. The complexity of the situation becomes more apparent the more you learn. The fbi and Canada's profilers are all involved.

Re quoting an earlier post I left after 145 pages of discussion on thread 1,

Funny how when all we know gets worked through, we still end up back near the start.

The same choices of suspects still from the same circumstances. The doctor and Sonia's troubles at work, a recent job change, the boyfriend, the dating site, the dispute with the noisy neighbours, and the simple fact the area itself may attract someone strange with ill intent on its own.

All we know of the neighbours was supposedly a few young fellows were renting a near by unit and were very loud. Sonia had called the Police on them. Little else known save they moved away afterwards.

There is lots of information to weed through but home was generally accepted at one time as place of death.

Not all agreed this was fact and many ideas and theories resulted. One of the strangest and hardest to understand facts centered around why Sonia was removed from her townhouse after the attack and her own car used to transport her body just a short distance away. Her car was then returned back and left just a few blocks from Sonia's home. There are pictures of the neighborhood and crime scene that are most enlightening and should be copied over to the facts thread some time soon. Hopefully with diligence, something will transpire in some way to solve Sonia's murder soon. New information, new minds, bring new ideas... How to put it all together is still anyone's guess..

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:58:14 PM by D1 »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Dannybam:  The last picture of the garage door, which was closed.  Can you be sure it was her door?
--just wondering, as I have only seen pic's of her garage with the door open. I must have missed that one.
Her home has new owners.

JB

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Removing Sonia from her home, the scene of the crime is odd behaviour.  What could the reasons be? 

1)  She was still alive.
  2)  He panicked when (IF) she screamed (one neighbour said he heard a scream).
  3)  He knew the family and wanted to spare them the pain of finding Sonia deceased in her home.
  4)  Sonia may have grabbed her phone, not had a chance to do anything with it, but perp thought he had to get out quick just in case
       the call did go through to 911.
  5)  He was from the neighbourhood (or town, somewhere), and wanted to distance himself and his victim from the area.
  6)  He figured it would give him more time (on the other hand, removing Sonia opened up more risks of being caught)
  7)  He was on drugs/booze/pills, or a combination, (so nothing makes sense).

Feel free to add more.

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
8. He wanted nature to possibly get rid of evidence.
9. He is mentally ill or paranoid.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »
!0) he wanted to take her body somewhere to wash her off or to get rid of possible dna or other evidence by some mechanical means? Was not confident to leave it up to nature alone just in case she was found early?

11) He wanted to take her somewhere for some reason or purpose of his own as in what he wanted to do or was about to do was maybe interrupted by the scream which hastened his departure? 

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
What we don't know and which would be very helpful to know is what was the motive for the attack in the first place? Was there a SEXUAL COMPONENT FIRST AND FOREMOST? Or, was murder the sole intent alone? Is there evidence of overkill. Is there evidence of experience? Seems robbery has been ruled out. What the evidence really suggests is not known to us yet. For instance, If there is evidence the body was washed, I would say that was the motive to remove her. Extrapolate from there etc... with the other possibilities.. ..

Dannybam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
D1
"And ps Db.. cleared by dna usually means you have been cleared so as no worry to discuss various aspects here. I get the impression you are still a little nervous of something, possibly just not a high level of trust in LE? Not that I blame you as long as this is unsolved."

As I alluded to earlier, I don't begrudge investigators any of the above-board, official investigations into me.  If there is something I could do to ease suspicions, without putting myself or my family in jeopardy, I'd gladly do it.

I seem to have lost whoever posted this:
"Could the piece on the ground be part of the door?"

I suppose it could be.  I don't imagine it is.  The piece appears to be too large for the hole, not the appropriate shape, and unless the hole was created from inside the garage, it's unlikely the piece would land outside.  Unless, this were a piece from the inside of the garage, as a result from the hole being made from the outside.  I'll post a few pictures for your consideration.

jellybean
"Are we sure that this garage door, is even Sonia's?  I don't recall seeing a picture of her home with the garage door closed.  It was always open, at least those of the crime scene.  Perhaps I missed something. ???"

See the pics below.

I like the 11 possible motives for removing the body.  I would like to further expand on reason #11, to include future visits to the body or crime scene.  Driving down the Spring St cul de sac with no other business but to drive out of it again, is suspicious.  If he wanted to "visit" Sonia later, she'd have to be elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:46:33 PM by Dannybam »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »
It is a person who I feel, felt great anger that night. Now whether this was anger towards Sonia or anger because of some other female who made him angry that night. This man was in a rage and whether it was against Sonia, who is to know. There could have been another female he was angry at and just came upon Sonia and took it out on her. She could have been just in the wrong place at that time. So hard to know, because what is the motive, if it isn't a boyfriend or ex???????

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Maybe the investigators cut that door piece out with evidence included e.g. gunshot hole, bullet??, blood, blood handprints, dent with dna evidence like piece of hair.

discus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
Isn't sexual assault a crime related to power?  As you say Cape, repressed anger....It seems to be insinuated that it took place in the bedroom, was Sonia sleeping and was startled.  I just can't get past a shared wall and a struggle not being heard next door. 

Dannybam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
Discus,
It's a very good possibility that there was evidence on the door that LE cut out. 

I have personal experience which makes the theory of a punched door more viable to me, but may not be of substance to the rest of you.  I have been asked whether I have punched doors in the past, when angry.  Which I have, when I was 15 or 16, and not since.

Sexual assault is ALWAYS about power and control.  One of the ultimate displays of dominance over someone is taking their life.  Escalating from that, desecrating their corpse, follows.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Motive is elusive but could be discussed in greater detail in regard each of the 11  points (so far) Each perp would have different motive and would exhibit different  traits and would leave different evidence behind in each scenario.   

Just a point from earlier that I was seeking confirmation on. I believe the sheet and blanket were found along the same road as where Sonia was found but a few miles further out. It was once assumed the blankets and sheet had been discarded after Sonia was removed from the vehicle and dropped off which would make the vehicle leaving by a different more round about route than from where he had came in.  But, it may also mean he had come in from the other end stopped there for some reason before continuing on to where he left Sonia's body. Either way it suggests he was familiar with that road and knew it to be quiet but not a dead end. I would like to place this location on our map (reposted in the facts page)
post 1851- http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4931.msg95254#msg95254 If anyone comes across an old map or better description in the old news articles. Goes to fore-knowledge of the drop site area.   

also link was left as example how I would use the facts page..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:48:54 PM by D1 »

Dannybam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Punching a wall as a means of personal release is one thing.  Punching a wall as an expression of anger, another.  Punching a wall in the presence of someone else, as a show of force or threat, is yet another.

If this indeed, did happen, and it was intended as a show of force or threat, then it was intended to accomplish something in the victim and not the perpetrator or the door.

If this didn't accomplish what was intended, to make Sonia somehow more agreeable to something (eg, silence about a doctor's behaviour, an agreement to leave the partying neighbours alone, unrequited love, etc)... violence seems to logically follow.