Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Lisa Kopf - Unsolved Murder - Edmonton (August 1998)  (Read 7604 times)

Carol-Lynn

Lisa Kopf - Unsolved Murder - Edmonton (August 1998)
« on: August 06, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »

On the 1998 August 05 , at approximately 10:30 a.m. the body of Lisa Kopf was discovered in a slough in a farmers field, approximately one kilometer west of 184th Street and 118 Avenue. Lisa was 17 years of age.

To date, investigations have not lead to an arrest of the person(s) responsible for this crime.

A reward in the amount of $40,000 is offered for the apprehension and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of Lisa Taodora Kopf.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:54:34 PM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Lisa Kopf - Unsolved Murder - Edmonton (August 1998)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:48 AM »
Probably a bit of both. From watching those cold case files on TV, it is amazing how many people will come out with info years later that they did not care to give at the time. Sometimes becasue the killer was a buddy or because they just did not want to be involved.

I am though surprised the money is not more successful.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 01:37:52 AM »
From kindheart

Reward cash going unclaimed                                Wed, November 21, 2007

Police are offering cash for tips on unsolved homicide cases but so far few people are coming forward.
Since cops began their rewards program in 1989, they've paid out cash in just two of 24 cases, according to a report going before the Edmonton Police Commission tonight.
Rewards are outstanding for 20 homicides, including three that happened more than 10 years ago.
For Barb Kopf, whose 17-year-old daughter Lisa was found slain in an Edmonton farmer's field in 1998, the lack of response to the $40,000 reward being offered is frustrating. "They did have tips come in, but nothing ever became of it," she said.
Kopf feels police may need to consider increasing the $40,000 standard amount offered in homicide cases in order to generate more tips. "It's just like I told my family - wouldn't it be nice if you just won the lottery and put up some more money to get some tips," she said.

Prof. John Manzo, a criminologist at the University of Calgary, said an anti-snitching phenomenon may be behind the lack of response.
Dave Korol, an Edmonton police deputy chief, said attitudes against snitching are a factor in some of the crimes. "We certainly find that in some of the incidents that involve gang members where they have their own rules of conduct."
Korol insists, however, that rewards are useful, saying publicity about rewards often helps to maintain awareness of a crime.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/11/21/4672795-sun.html

No idea where the term? anti-snitching phenomenon? came from but that is a given in human society? I checked his CV and I understand his use of the terms of a ?phenomenon?. This guy is a trained Sociologist, and they frame everything in terms of group dynamics. Whereas I see snitches to be making individual choices AWAY from the context of the usual peer related enforcement. They gamble on what they can gain and act accordingly, not unlike his academic Gangsta lifestyle, where degrees are the *bling*.
www.ucalgary.ca/~jmanzo/cv.htm
I have mapped the Lisa Kopf case and noticed how close to Edmonton Institution for Woman she was dumped. I also have the location coordinates from where she was taken. Sad but I personally believe that no amount of money will bring in the ?right? tip. Police will have to work it harder, and try other avenues. Dirty correctional-social worker or ex correctional worker was my first choice of POI for some the Edmonton crimes, for many reasons. Also that quote from Ellie Meyer was creepy too, the one about remand. Carol where was remand located for Ellie, like where do they temporarily house the stw in your city?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »
From kindheart
Golf courses also seem to appear a lot in recovery sites, near golf courses.
Function of semi rural locations? Then again Jails are also usually on the outside of towns. He could transport victims in the transport paddy wagon? Those things get sprayed down with chems all the time, i was told.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »
From kindheart
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/11/28/4691175-sun.html

Desespere; with regards to the Lisa Kopf case. I was looking at where this real smart guy was "hunting" from and then i noticed the golfcourse you mentioned called the dragons head. Just a note because i did not know where this golf course was located, now i do.

kindheart

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:44:17 PM »
Anguished mom just wants answers           Sat, August 4, 2007
Mystery still surrounds finding of daughter's body in west-end field nine years ago

Almost a decade after her teenage daughter turned up dead in a west-end field, Barb Kopf still has no answers about who murdered her. "If there's anybody out there (with information), I'm begging them, please come forward. I want them to imagine if it was them, how would they feel?" Kopf said yesterday from Vancouver. Monday marks the ninth anniversary of the death of Kopf's daughter Lisa. On Aug. 5, 1998, a farmer found the 17-year-old asphyxiated in a slough in his field. According to police, Lisa was held face down in the mud until she stopped breathing and died. Six hours before the discovery, she had left a house party alone near 132 Avenue and 102 Street. Tomorrow, Kopf's family in British Columbia will mark her death at a gathering, where they'll watch home videos of Lisa's youth. Friends in B.C. will also be getting together at Lisa's favourite spot in the mountains.Even now, Lisa's name regularly comes up in conversation, said Kopf. "She was a very family-oriented young woman. She always told me she was going to give me six grandchildren." Police have offered a $40,000 reward for information on the case, but so far the money has generated little useful information, said Kopf. Lisa died one day before Kopf's birthday. She turns 50 tomorrow, and while relatives wanted to have a party, Kopf isn't ready to celebrate. "I just said to my family I just don't feel like celebrating," she said.
Now, after her husband died years ago at the hands of a drunk driver, Kopf finds herself increasingly protective of her only immediate family left, her daughter Carla. "As a parent, you never think you're going to outlive your children," said Kopf, explaining why she's still determined to get answers about the murder."Everybody else around me, we just need to know." As of October, city police had rewards outstanding for 19 unsolved homicides, including for Kopf's death. The rewards date back as far as 1987 and total $800,000.

kindheart

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »

Organizes of Edmonton
English site of the police force of Edmonton.(Translated from french)

The police force tramples in the business LISA Kopf
The Police force of Edmonton always seeks indices on the outward journeys and come from a 17 year old teenager, found dead last on August 5. The body of LISA Kopf was found in a marsh, in an industrial sector of the north of the city. A poster with the photograph of the young woman was distributed in about thirty companies of the surroundings. The police force hopes as well as people, who saw LISA Kopf before his death, can provide him useful information. The teenager was seen for the last time the her death day before, whereas it left a festival in a residence, located close to the 102e street and the 132e which occurred.

www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/14/14624.htm

Lisa Kopf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »
This is my real name and no this is not a bad joke ...I just find it difficult to know that there was another young girl out there in the world with my first and last name who was killed exactly 10 years to the month from the marking of my kiddnapping , rape , and attempted murder  on August 13 th of 1989 it was a month before my 17 th birthday ,I have looked but never found a picture of Lisa but I know what she went through and He will make mistakes ,he will tell someone some day and the truth will come out .....But just know in your heart that god knows who he is....I just want to say never give up sometimes fear keeps people from talking but then something more powerful comes along .....

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »
Lisa, I sure feel for you and am very happy that you have survived your terrible experience. It is really very unusual and like something from the twilight zone that you actually have the same name as the person who was murdered. Maybe this was the same person who carried out the crime aganist you. Have you ever tried being hypnotized to see if you can remember any facts. I know that you will somehow never feel safe again. My thoughts and prayers are with you.. :o :o :o :o :o

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
What a horrible thing to have gone thru. That is quite remarkable you made it out OK.

That name is very rare. Are you aware if the police are aware of this? It might not be a cioncidence.

Lisa Kopf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
The name is very rare infact it derives from germany and is not our family's original name , it is shortened and no one in america has it but those I'am directly related to .I have my birth name and have never been married..The individual who did this to me was caught and sentenced to 75 years ...There are a few things that bother me though ,He was young 18 and yes he was the one who did it , however I can't help but to think there is something eles here ...I have never been to Canda nor do I know any one there .There are just so many things that are simular ..I was taken to a cemetary ,I was stabbed repeatedly ,and left for dead , I managed to survive ....But I have alway's felt like he had done this to others .And truly I can't shake that errie feeling ,Although he was in prison at the time of Lisa's murder, I do know he used to travel with a truck driver ,I don't know the truck drivers name.I don't know if any of this will ever amount to anything but I do know it is a very strange thing to have happen , I mean really we are talking 10 years to the month and 8 day's apart the age being 17 and the name well that is unmistakable . Lisa wanted 6 children and I had 5 .My heart goes out to her family and I hope they catch this monster who ever he may be .....

Lisa Kopf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
I never saw the truck ,And I only saw the truck driver once for a brief moment 21 years ago .There were alot of rapes and attempted rapes going on at this time and for the most part they were kept close to where this man lived .I believe they were all his doing and There were times these girls got away so I figuar he spent months perfecting his attack's ,Before he got to me .I was a victim of chance that night .However he had told people he was going to get me ,I guess They didn't take him seriously .who knows .We were all teenagers .

Lisa Kopf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
There are many things that could connect the cases Besides our name.However that is a very big connection .The month being August and the year being exactly 10 years apart to the month .I have thought about things that could be possible like The truck driver but also there are people who befriend Prison inmates and they tell them thier story . It is possible that that could have occured ....I know some people just start doing these things on there own but there are those who get the ideas or begin there criminal activities from being taught .Our age was so close as well . I went to the library today to start some research of my own and maybe come accross something .I wonder though why there are so many coverage points for other victims of unsolved murders there pictures and the familys speaking out but I have yet to find any of that for Lisa ..no news video's no coverage at all ....no photos of her nothing ...I think the more people see her face the more tips you may get .The Faceless alway's seem to be forgotten .It has been along time but if you stay persistent keep putting her picture up everywhere ,Some one who could have been scarred back then to talk may break thier silence ....Like I said My situation may not be related however god works in ways we could never imagin .And I can't help but to feel like there is a connection some where in all of this craziness...... Put her face out there and if her family doesn't want to go in front of camaras then find them a spokes person to talk for them....Speak out !!!!!!she deserves justice

Lisa Kopf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
I found a Carla Kopf in B.C on facebook but nothing eles no pictures nothing I just think it is very odd that all these other cases have so much recognition but Lisa's has none ....You can't find something you have never seen....And pictures should be at the top of the list...

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
There is a picture of Lisa on this site.

After 12 years Lisa's mother is still looking for her daughter's killer. There is a picture on this site of Lisa. She has been missing since August 5, 1998.

Daughter's killer not caught after 12 years
By QMI AGENCY
Last Updated: August 4, 2010 8:08pm
EDMONTON - Barb Kopf remembers every second of the night her 17-year-old daughter was killed.

"It's so vivid," she says quietly. "I don't remember any of the six months after that, but I remember everything about that night."

On Aug. 5, 1998, Lisa Kopf's body was found in a farmer's slough. Someone had held her face down in the mud until she suffocated.

Twelve years after the unimaginable crime, her mother is still waiting for justice.

"Whoever did this," Kopf says, "I want them caught. I want to see them for myself. It's been so long - is this the only murder they've gotten away with?"

Slowly, she adds: "I still have grief, but these days there's more anger."

Barb and her two daughters, Lisa and Carla, 14, moved to Edmonton in 1997 from Victoria, B.C., in search of a fresh start after the girls' father was killed by a drunk driver.

Adjusting to a new city was difficult for the girls, Kopf says, but they were doing OK.

"I knew Lisa's four closest friends and they were all really nice friends," she says. "I didn't know her other friends, though."

On Aug. 4, 1998, the sisters left their west end home for a party on the north side. They told their mom that they'd take the LRT and city buses to get back home.

"I always told them if you're going to get home later than you planned, call me and let me know." A little before midnight Lisa called Barb to say they wouldn't make to the LRT before it shut down for the night, so Barb told her to take a cab home with her sister.

A couple hours later, Carla arrived home alone. She told Barb that she couldn't find Lisa and had assumed she'd already left the party.

"Right away, I felt that something was terribly, terribly wrong," Barb recalls.

She got out the phone book and phoned every hospital and police station in the city, but got nowhere.

At 10 a.m. a farmer checking his livestock found her body.

"When the police came to my door, I knew right away," Kopf says, her voice trailing off.

While police won't discuss any specifics of the case, the head of the homicide unit says it's still an open file.

"We don't give up," says staff Sgt. Lorne Pubantz, who was one of the initial investigators. "During the passage of time, people might have a change of lifestyle. Someone who knows something about this might decide, 'this is the time for me to come forward.'"

Earlier this year, cops closed the books on a 29-year-old homicide when they arrested Robert James Fletcher, 50, for the 1981 killing of cabbie Gerdine Kruidbos.

Often, Pubantz says, investigators can "fill in the blanks" in old cases when people come forward after years of silence.

Kopf clings to the hope that cops will get a break like that in Lisa's case.

"It's been 12 years, how could somebody do that and not step forward in all this time?"

Sometimes, Kopf says, she feels trapped in time.

"Every single day I think about her. I can still smell her. Every now and then I swear I can feel her behind me."

Carla, now 26, moved back to B.C. a few years ago.

Kopf divides her time between Edmonton and Surrey, where she owns a second house.

Daughter's killer not caught after 12 years[/b]
By QMI AGENCY
Last Updated: August 4, 2010 8:08pm

"I don't have many close friends here," she says. "And I often think, if we'd never moved here, that wouldn't have happened to Lisa. I carry that guilt with me."

Despite the lingering pain, she refuses to leave Edmonton until Lisa's killing is solved.

"I just don't feel right about leaving. I feel like I'd be leaving her."

andrew.hanon@sunmedia.ca

Follow me on Twitter at:

www.twitter.com/andrewhanon[/quote]
http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2010/08/04/14925396.html

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here