Author Topic: Bones Found Near Near Kincardine, Southwestern Ontario  (Read 10303 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Bones Found Near Near Kincardine, Southwestern Ontario
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
This is something I stumbled on last week.  I took some time to check out the "Northern Ontario" threads but don't see anything that refers to this.  So I thought I would start a topic thread and you guys from Ontario can decide if it is already on the site.  If it isn't, this might shed some light for some family who have long gave up on a woman who would have possibly gone missing a few decades ago (which is possibly the age of the remains....so at least 10 years missing)  They were discovered while doing excavating at a water-side cottage.  The first link is the police update.  I will include the original link too.

http://huron.bulletnewscanada.ca/2012/07/09/human-bones-found-on-construction-site-at-amberley-beach/

http://www.radioowensound.com/news_item.php?NewsID=48396
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:24:44 PM by lostlinganer »

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Bones Found Near Near Kincardine, Southwestern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:25 AM »
I checked out the location on Google Maps.  Amberley Beach Road is over by Lake Huron...near the Bruce Power Plant...South of Kincardine and north of Goderich Ontario.  We can look for people missing over that way.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
There are two missing from this area:

Lois Hanna--1988, went missing from Kincardine, which is only 20 km from Amberley Beach Rd.

Misty Murray--1995, went missing from Goderich, which is 36 km from Amberley Beach Rd.

We'll have to wait for more info from LE.

This is being handled by the Huron County OPP, and the site of the located bones would not be classified as Northern Ontario.  Not sure what you would call it for our purposes on the forum.

Edited to include last paragraph.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:46:50 AM by Have faith »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
.... well that's two "important" people we want to find.  Let me know if you come up with a better "topic name" for this thread.  ...consider though, that the RCMP updates are following the first news item - which is what I took the topic name from.  I suppose we wait... then if no ID is made, we could rename the thread as: Could this be our missing (etc.etc.)

I first got interested in this because I was "on a looking for Penny Warne" mission last week.  If you look at the Geography, there are a lot of missing who could have ended up being taken across country to a "secluded" cottage area on the water.  ...and it's not far to take them ... really!

July

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
I've been lurking on the forum for quite some time without anything to contribute before now. It is a fantastic and supportive community thank you all.

I would love to see answers for a family currently searching for a loved one. However, the OPP mention that these remains may have been there for "decades"I wonder if these remains are much older as there have been many people and ships lost on Lake Huron.

In November of 1913 a massive storm hit the Great Lakes region destroying several ships some of which have never been found. Many of the fatalities washed ashore in Huron County right where these remains were found.

http://www.ontarioplaques.com/Plaques_GHI/Plaque_Huron16.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913

The families of the sailors lost in that storm (and other lake hur

Also, these remains would more properly be categorized as "Other Locations" that "Northern Ontario"

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
July; so you have been a "Guest' for a long time.  Thanks for your post and a very warm welcome to you from all of us on Unsolved. I too lurked and felt I had nothing to contribute, but one case caught my attention and I just had to join.
JB :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:19:44 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
Welcome to the site July, and thank you for the remarkable links to the 1913 storm.  If these remains are indeed ten decades old, you have come up with a possible explanation that few people would think of. 

You are right , this thread would eventually be listed under Ontario-Other Locations.  As far as I can tell, the closest town to these remains is Kincardine.  I'm in favour of having Kincardine, Ont. included with the description, to replace Northern Ontario, if that sounds okay to you Lostlinganer?  The proper location is actually "Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh which is too long and how many people in Ontario know where that is?

The topic name is fine..I just thought "Northern" Ontario didn't describe the area.  I'll leave it with you lost. :-)

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
I believe it is refered to as the "Bruce Peninsula". I know employees past and present at Bruce Power and they refer to the area as such.

Logical

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »
It is good you finally jumped in July; welcome for sure... make yourself comfortable.

When I read "decades" old  ....I started thinking in increments of ten years.  But then I'm thinking "cottages".... and "cottage country"... so I was thinking it is not uncommon for someone getting killed or dying that far from town... even "decades" ago.  I'm thinking decades could mean as few as 10 to 20 years.... I don't know the area/province well enough to think about how many years ago cottages started popping up there.  If it is really long ago ..... like 100 yrs. ... it may have been as simple as someone left alone and had to bury a deceased loved one.  I doubt it is someone from a shipwreck in the lake because I got the impression there was "a pit" at the "footer"... and that's where the remains were found.

so will I change the thread name to Bruce Peninsula? ...Near Kincardine?  Are you two (July and Logical) familiar with that part of Northern Ontario.  I'd just like to see the name of the thread reflect the fact that there are many towns/cities off in fairly equal directions, that could have had attachments to that particular cottage country area..... I prefer to back off with that.. and leave it to the regulars from the surrounding area.  I will leave a message in the forum lounge.

July

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I grew up about 1/2 hour north of this location and spent my summers at a camp right at Amberley . I think "Near Kincardine" would be fine for the description. Amberley is a bit too far south to be on the peninsula. The overall area is usually referred to as Southwestern Ontario but that's probably not specific enough.

There have been homes and cottages scattered along the beach for more than 100 years. The theory of a private burial could be equally plausible depending on the age of the remains.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
Thanks April. ;D

July

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
The age of the remains confirm that this is neither of the two women missing from the area.

http://www.kincardinenews.com/2012/07/10/human-remains-decades-old-found-at-amberley-beach

Human remains "decades old" found at Amberley Beach

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Good header, Lostlinganer.  Now it is much clearer what area we should be concentrating on. 

So, they have ruled out Misty Murray and Lois Hanna as per the above article....but thanks Have faith, for searching out the names of  Misty and Lois for us.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
I went through some old threads and here is some names of missing people from the Owen Sound area.   Since most of these towns are in the Lake Huron area, I thought I would add these names.

1992---David Goetz (22) and Lucas Zenger (22)...last seen in a canoe, heading towards Big Bay.

1978---Glennis Thompson...Owen Sound

1988---Lisa Maas.....Owen Sound area...her car was found near Slattery's Mill in Syndenham Township.  (this disappearance might be too far inland to pertain to this case)

There is threads on here for these people I have mentioned.