Author Topic: Ron & Terry Yakimchuk (nee Pettit) - Missing - June 1973 - Edmonton, AB  (Read 50944 times)

Greenley Family

• View Profile
Re: Ron & Terry Yakimchuk (nee Pettit) - Missing - June 1973 - Edmonton, AB
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
I don't know if this will help but I looked up the letters terry quoted on the post card and a few things came up such as it can mean the word "here"  it can also mean strong beautiful smart woman you will never forget an names of places like myah key west Florida and Nyah Victoria in Australia which in 2008 it had a population of only 323 maybe this will help

SAP

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
Thank you Greeley family.
The link to Canadian statesman, Clarington

http://vitacollections.ca/claringtonnews/2501483/data

eta: I had misspelled the last name when I searched the first time and at one point found 12 hits, but when I did a "control" and "F" there was nothing for Yakimchuk on any of the pages. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Cana nomad ... I was thinking the same thing as you. It does sound more like they were returning and may have gone through the USA, where some bad luck befell them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:28:06 PM by SAP »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Did you find it Debbie ..the photo of the couple looks like Ron and terry but I could be wrong I am not sure how to send the link but I know any information is wonderful when you have a missing loved one. I have the article bookmarked

No, I didn't have any luck either. Too bad, I would be very interested in viewing.

If you know how to copy and paste you can post the link here once you retrieve the link from the site this information is on. Important to make sure it is on the page the article is on, before retrieving the link.

When posting here: Left click on the second row, second image (above the winky face). To insert the link, right click right in the middle of the two [url]'s, click on 'paste'. The link should appear.

Hope this helps.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
I am sorry my Internet is down right now and have this iPad that I haven't quit figured out yet but I found ths photo I thought looked liket the couple but could be wrong though but I wanted everyone to see it anyway but I still haven't figured out how to post it on my iPad so here s the info it's on the clarington didital newspaper collection under Canadian statesman  Bowmanville Ontario aug 25, 1971 on page one hope that helps

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
Greenley family- Personally, I do not think that is them.  The couple in the photo here look much older to me.

SAP- To be clear, I said I thought they were NOT returning- they had said their plan was to move East.  Again, can't figure out why since everyone those days seemed to be doing the opposite move- going West for work.  That in itself is telling- was there a reason they had to go to Nova Scotia specifically?  Especially given everyone they knew was West? 

Again, I think that the remains found in Minnesota stand a good chance of being Ron.  I wish we knew what became of that investigation.  It was right along the U.S. route and they were from a kayaker.

But then, where is Terry?

Eric.Pettit

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
I think it very unlikely that the Kayaker is Ron.  The Kayak they had was a single person kayak that Dad and I built when we were in Alaska.  It was only about 12' long.  Terry enjoyed it, as she was light enough, but it was rather unstable if you were much heavier.

I am her younger brother, and had driven the Volkswagen a few times.  It was not in great mechanical shape, and the pin would sometimes fall out of the brake pedal linkage, especially on a rough road.

I believe the RCMP conclusion, based out of Fort McMurray, was correct in assuming they went off the road along the northern route in Ontario.  Their bank draft was never cashed, and it was everything they owned.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
Hi Eric. Welcome to Unsolved Canada.

I believe the RCMP conclusion, based out of Fort McMurray, was correct in assuming they went off the road along the northern route in Ontario.  Their bank draft was never cashed, and it was everything they owned

A number of us, myself included, have entertained the possibility that Ron and Terry went off the road and have never been found. In reality that is the most logical conclusion.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »
Below is the link to a thread I created in regard the car. You may have already seen this.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6206.msg92426#msg92426

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
Hi Eric,

I've been hoping that the family would find this thread.  You have provided some valuable information on the boat for sure.

I think I missed something about the Fort McMurray story.  I did not see anything that referred to that city? 

To be clear, when you say the car likely went off the road, do you mean that you think it went into water?  Whereabouts in Canada do you think?

I wonder if part of the car can at least be located?

I hope you will come back.  Is there anything about Terry you want people to know that could help in some way?

Eric.Pettit

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
When the pin would fall out of the brake pedal, the only way to stop the car was by down-shifting and eventually rolling to a stop.  The "emergency" brake was so badly out of adjustment that it did almost nothing.  When I used the car once in 1972, I almost went off the road, as the pin fell out and there were no brakes as I came to a tee intersection.  (Fortunately I had done a fair bit of rally driving, so was able to downshift, throw it into a skid, and drift the corner.)  My two passengers, who were starting to doze at the time, certainly remained much more awake for the remainder of the trip!

The RCMP missing person file was originated in Fort McMurray, as that is where my parents were living at the time they went missing.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »
Thanks for that Eric.  This all must have been so awful for you and your parents, I can't begin to imagine having no clear answers for so many years.  Do you believe they met with any foul play at any point in addition to going off the road or do you think it was all accidental?

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »
I believe they went off the road as well. Somewhere between Dryden, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec.

Attached is a clear picture of their car.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
I believe they went off the road as well. Somewhere between Dryden, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec.

Me too!/jb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:19 PM »

Pictures of Ron, Terry, and the car they were driving, can be viewed at the link below.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6206.msg92426#msg92426

york3404

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
I have been working on Theresa Pettit case for 2 years now. I have tried to get an investigator in Edmonton to take my calls, but no luck. I believe I have a possible match for Theresa Pettit. I have submitted the potential match to the O.P.P in Edmonton, however they do not always have a person working cold cases, and have not responded to the potential match. I have submitted the possible match to the Doe Network and they have confirmed that Theresa has never been compared to the possible remains that I believe are her or could be.  This is my theory and just a theory so please keep that in mind. If I have any info wrong pls feel free to point it out. :)

On June 9 in 1973 Theresa and Ron loaded up to make a wedding happening in Montreal which was taking place on the 16th. From there they were to hit the maritimes to find work and re-establish a life. We know they made it to Dryden ON from Brandon MB today would be a 6 hour drive, however than more like 8h then as speed limits weren't as high as they are now. I believe 80k was the speed for the trans can hwy then. After that there is nothing except a potential sighting of them outside Sudbury with a broken down car ( however hasn't been fully confirmed it was them) with another male unknown who that could be.

My theory
First off I have to go back to 1973 what happened in 1973. Well just that Feb the CN tower was constructed and it was a big deal then.  Ron and Theresa were adventurous, I find it hard to believe Theresa could resist the temptation of seeing the CN tower. She was also into journalism so she would have wanted to photograph it and perhaps that would have been her first story when she got out East. T.O was the big city in ON in 73 and they could have stopped for the day to continue on travelling. Montreal would only be about 6-8 hour drive from T.O However that would have taken them to the 401 Which was still being constructed past Kingston meaning people would have to travel on the 401 and then at Napanee take Hwy 2. I believe the remains found in 84 by Napanee could possibly match Theresa. I have sent the potential match in already. Everything from hair color, build, dental work, clothing type all seem like they could match Theresa. This would explain why the dental records never matched in Ottawa, Quebec, or Montreal because Theresa had extensive work done to her teeth, they would need to match records out west in Edmonton or where she lived as a child.  Suzy Shier opened their first door in 1966 but had already expanded by 68 into 22 stores across Canada. The jeans may have been sold out west. Also Theresa had nice style since she was journalist. I certainly don't know if she shopped at Suzy Shier or not but then it was the go store for professionals. Also Sudbury one of the exception small towns got a store too, she could have purchased the clothing in ON or out west.  However in 73 The net wasn't like it is now, same with phones. She sent post cards because mail was the easiest way to send messages.  I think more then likely they meet up with foul play around T.O. Chops shops were well operating then which would explain why nothing of theirs has ever been located. It would have been sold privately or sent to hock shops. T.O, Napanee, Kingston areas are known for high crime rates. The body found outside of Napanee was badly beaten in the head that the left side was caved in. This would explain why the sketch isn't clicking with most people because the sketch makes her look like she has bad teeth, but the dental spot tells you she had extensive dental work done including fillings, root canal and so fourth.  I know I had seen a photo of Theresa and she was wearing jeans, we know that Jeans is something or type of clothing fitting Theresa style.  The kicker is how long between her missing and the remains being est TOD. (time of death). I think the TOD is wrong. Living in Kingston now I know Napanee and Kingston areas don't have winter like the rest of Ontario. We don't get nearly as much snow, it's usually still warm into Dec and really doesn't snow until the end of Jan,Feb, March and april/may we're able to work the soil.
It's believed the remains were dumped there,  and were in skeletal state I believe more thank likely TOD should be earlier around 77-82.
Ron we know is the eldest of 6 boys and he was farm raised. I know personally the farm life Ron would have been taught mechanic skills, and he would have been used to adapting to weather, terrain etc.  As I understand from all the writing Ron was used to the beetle, he would have known how to steer it to a safe stop and he would be used to the car going out of "control" basically knowing how to keep control. Neither Ron or Theresa had intimidating builds making them a good target with a fully loaded car. Also being a teacher before leaving he prob had a route in mind he wanted to take. However being adventurous I'm sure they planned on making lots of stops along the way. I have no idea if they were to stay with friends/fam while travelling, or staying at hotels/motels.  Not being from Ontario and having Alberta plates would make it even more tempting for a criminal to target them. Someone simply could have seen a fully loaded car with Alberta plates and  thought they struck gold. More than likely they weren't forced to a bank because ATM's didn't exist then, they physically would have a had to go into the bank to take money out. Being away from their normal branch would have meant showing all Id, account book etc. With everything they had their attacker never would have had them clean out their account. Banking was more personal then and a bank then never would let you just clean out your savings. If you wanted large amounts you had to talk to a bank manager and usually had to come back in a week or so for the funds. You had to tell them all the why's what' when' how to get the money out or the bank never would give it. It would just be easier to cash in the car and all their stuff.

This also explains why No one recognized the U/K (unknown) women because she isn't from Ottawa, Montreal, or Quebec. She's prob from out of province where a photo never would have circulated unless a person from ON took a paper out with them. Or unless a journalist caught wind of the remains and decided to do an out of province story. We know then newspapers ran a strict budget where they really only wrote on local stuff. I think to find any of their things you'd have to know what kind of books they had, jewlery etc and hit antique stores to find their stuff that has been split up, sold, and given away that could still be circulating.

To those of you that have been volunteering your time don't be discourage by the police. First off the O.P.P don't have a full time cold cases detective. I've hear it all but by far the best is " we don't work with PIs". You have to contract each branch and find an investigator that's in the mood to listen to you. Edmonton station is horrible I sent this into to them 2 years ago, and I don't think anyone has ever look into it. The detective noted on Theresa poster isn't in that position any more, and leaving e-mail or voice messages get you no place. Your really have to hound them. For submissions try the doe network Mary is great, and usually responds within 48hr to let you know if they have ever ruled out your potential match. Don't take the way the police treat you to heart, most don't even know how to handle information like this, and most don't even care to hear from the public. Just take joy in knowing your annoying the crap out of them while helping 1000's of families. I know it's frustrating but you can't give up.