Author Topic: Ron & Terry Yakimchuk (nee Pettit) - Missing - June 1973 - Edmonton, AB  (Read 50565 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
Re: Ron & Terry Yakimchuk (nee Pettit) - Missing - June 1973 - Edmonton, AB
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
I wonder if there is the technology for the great lakes to be searched for vehicles so we could know. Also, when vehicles go over cliffs, you would think they would wind up in the perimeter of the lakes rather than in the middle of them, so that narrows the search area somewhat.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
see, I always thought they could search, but perhaps these waters are still just too murky.  Or they could have been murdered and the car pushed in, if that guy's belief about his brother is right.

do we know anything about what Terry's parents have/had to say about all of this?  Were her parents in her life when she went missing?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
Hi cana_nomad,

There is a thread for the Couple Nobody Claimed at the link below. 

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=1913.msg12259#msg12259

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
Hi debbie,

I take it my earlier post was deleted?  I apologize if it came across as crass, but it bothers me that no one is looking further or even thinking about questions that might get us somewhere.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
Nevermind, found it.  Still though, are there any articles about Terry's parents I wonder.  she was described as free-spirited, but I am wondering if perhaps her impulsivity could have meant she had some sort of mental illness?  They used to refer to such things as "eccentricity."  This could be a vital clue.  the problem is, because she was so free-spirited, it could be they chose an alternate route last minute, meaning it's even harder to isolate what area to search.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »
Interesting points nomad - what makes people tick who are highly impulsive? Sometimes it is a mental illness, I agree.

tvdocwatchr

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
I've been interested in the case of Ron Yakimchuk and Terry Pettit for several years, ever since I read about it on a missing person's forum.

I thought it was really strange that so many years had passed and this couple had seemingly vanished from the face of the earth.

I thought maybe one of the Canadian investigative television shows (i.e., "The Fifth Estate" on CBC, and "W5" on CTV) might be interested in following up on their story, so I emailed both shows in December of 2010 to suggest they consider doing a show about the couple (I think one or both shows occasionally have done one hour episodes in the past dedicated to unsolved murders and missing persons in Canada.)

Unfortunately, I never heard back from either show, but possibly if other people contact them, I don't know?  Maybe they would reconsider?  Both shows can be located by doing an Internet search and I'm pretty sure they both still provide email addresses for contacts.

I always thought that the publicity provided by a coast-to-coast airing of a nationally broadcast show might help jog people's memories.  And I just feel so sad for both their parents and families.

justsayin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »
I would have to agree!  With all of the so-called "Reality shows" it would be good to see this dig up some fresh clues.  As long as it isn't too sensationalized.  I think 48 hours mystery did that recently with a case in BC and the results were not favorable.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
I thought maybe one of the Canadian investigative television shows (i.e., "The Fifth Estate" on CBC, and "W5" on CTV) might be interested in following up on their story, so I emailed both shows in December of 2010 to suggest they consider doing a show about the couple (I think one or both shows occasionally have done one hour episodes in the past dedicated to unsolved murders and missing persons in Canada.)

Unfortunately, I never heard back from either show, but possibly if other people contact them, I don't know?  Maybe they would reconsider?  Both shows can be located by doing an Internet search and I'm pretty sure they both still provide email addresses for contacts.

I always thought that the publicity provided by a coast-to-coast airing of a nationally broadcast show might help jog people's memories.  And I just feel so sad for both their parents and families.

Hey tvdocwatchr, if you haven't already, there's a thread for the unknown couple, which debbiec posted the link for on this page I believe.  Nothing ever made public about the DNA results so far.  Just an FYI.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
UPDATE!

Found this on Chris's Crime Forum- it just popped up tonight for some reason, despite having googled their names before.  I know it's long and I suck at making cuts to put longer posts behind, so here are both piecs- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY- I finally found the part I saw before also re: the plan to end up in the Maritimes and wanting to disappear for awhile (that is in the first part below).  What I hadn't seen before is the part about not being able to link them to the vehicle.  I can't believe I never thought of this- what if they went kayaking and drowned?  Not only would you probably never find their bodies, but no one would link them to that car.
*(bangs head against desk)*

Re: the second article I attached after this one- there had to have been a message preceding it, but it does not appear to be on that forum.  What's this about Minnesota?  How did they link that that might be Ron?  It would totally fit in with that third trip option of crossing into the states if it was in fact Ron.  Looks like it is. 

So, where's Terry?
Article 1: no one began the search in earnest until months after the couple vanished.

"That's the thing I regret the most," Hameister says. "It's not as if we're police or missing persons experts, but we probably should have taken more notice and done more."

Another friend, Winston Gereluk, still holds hope the couple is alive.

"She told me they were going away and nobody would find them for a while," Gereluk remembers.

"When they disappeared and the first reports came out, I said I don't believe they're lost because this is what Terry told me. The fact that no trace of their car was ever found still gives me hope."

There was talk the couple was planning to go to Europe, but police say only Terry had a passport.

Friends did some snooping on their own. They checked to see whether the driver's licences were renewed, or social assistance was being collected or taxes being paid.Adds Hameister: "As time went on, I think we said that if they went underground, boy they did it really well because they just sank without a trace."

Retired Lt.-Col. Sid Stephen, the last known person to have seen the couple, says it's possible that, for all these years, people have been searching in the wrong places.

When Ron and Terry visited at Canadian Forces Base Shilo, Stephen warned them about taking the Volkswagen over the treacherous stretch of Highway 17 along the north shore.

Stephen, another Gateway alumni who is now a teacher in Arizona, advised them to head south into the U.S. and take a less arduous route along the lake's south shore, but recalls they didn't seem too interested.

"They would have to climb some heavy hills in that old Volkswagen, but there was just a reluctance to go to the U.S. in those days. I remember Ron saying they didn't want to go to the United States, but that car was not in good condition."

He suggests that maybe by the time the couple got to Dryden, they decided against staying on the narrow, hilly Trans-Canada Highway and headed south, crossing the U.S. border at International Falls and on to Duluth, Wis.

It's unclear whether police ever checked on that possibility, or if there are records of their entry into the U.S.

Beal wonders whether anyone has looked into records of unidentified bodies being found along the southern shore of the lake. As he points out, if they were victims of foul play, or drowned while kayaking, and their unidentified bodies were not linked with their vehicle, no one would ever know they were Canadian.
To ensure the couple doesn't vanish completely without a trace, her parents have amended their burial plans, adding inscriptions of Ron and Terry's names and birthdates inscribed of the back of their own tombstones.

Terry's parents died without knowing the fate of their daughter and her brother, Gordon Pettit, has given up hope of solving the mystery.

But for the families, every special occasion since the pair disappeared in 1973 has been tinged with sadness.

"It's awful," says Bell. "It just never goes away."

dhenton@thejournal.canwest.com

Article 2- is this Ron?:

Thank you Chris~Great to be here! I received a reply from the friends of the Yakimchuks. They seem inclined to believe that the remains in Minnesota stand a good possibility of being their friend, Ron. If you look at the Unidentified, his teeth were crowded and crooked. This is the only true identifier as far as the reconstruction goes. After reading what he has written, I believe that most will conclude that this is Ron Yakimchuk. Our next chore will be to find Terry. I will quote parts of the response I received here:
"What I recalled was this - Ron seldom seemed to open his mouth when he smiled. I remembered that when I noticed this, I speculated that perhaps this was because his teeth were not very evenly arranged in his mouth, and I noticed it. Then I opened the attachments to your email and looked at the reconstructions and I must say, the representation of the teeth based on the recovered skull does remind me of how Ron's teeth looked when he did open his mouth. I hasten to add that a lot of years have passed, and rememberances are often decieving, but still - the resemblance seems to be there, as far as I'm concerned. Ron had a narrow, triangular skull and while to my recollection his jawline was not "weak" or "collapsed", it was small and seemed a bit "cramped". Together with the fact that he was going bald early in life, it contributed to his appearing to be somewhat older than he really was. (I was in my late twenties myself when I met him, and quite aware that many of our friends at Gateway were almost a decade younger than I was, and that Ron seemed more my own age.)"
He also included an email that he had sent to a mutual friend of theirs a year ago in regards to which route that Ron and Terri Yakimchuk may have taken on their trip:
"Going East from the Manitba border, you had to decide just after Kenora if you were going to take the "all-Canada" route to Fort William/Port Francis (or was the other way around?) - anyway, it's now Thunder Bay, then through Nipigon and Marathon to Sault-St,-Marie. Or you could opt for the "USA" southern route around Lake Superior via the USA, going South and entering Minnesota at Rainy River and then working your way East via Duluth and Ironwood, Minn. and Marquette, Michigan, rentering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, then on to Sudbury. As I remember it, the difference in actual driving distance wasn't much - maybe the US route was 75 miles shorter - but the big advantage of going the US route was cheaper gas (even then), essentially flat terrain, and the relatively more populated areas to drive through, if gas availability, rest stops, or car trouble were a concern.The stretch from the Soo to Sudbury was a bear - lots of hills and very few towns in those days - but you had to do that in either case.

I will close by asking the following idiot question: This forum is by our Chris, right? If so, I apologized for making duplicates of these posts.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
How come no one seems to be interested in this couple?

I seem to be the only one here still looking for info.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
I am interested.  I just have nothing to add.  I did track down their gravesites.  It looked like seperate tomb stones to me.  Not on the back of the parents stones.  I posted what I had found on their site.   That was quite awhile back. The grave sites are in, if my memory is correct Lacombe, AB - or just outside of it.

I too looked at the "reconstruction" of the young couple that were shot in the states.
They are buried in a cemetary there.  I can't recall where it is, but you would know - as you are taking a fresh approach.
Her sisters dna, and his family members dna could possibly be used to identify whether they are this couple or not (it may involve exhuming the remains of the unknowns).

I do not believe they are alive.  They would have no reason to disappear and begin a new life with different names etc.   They were not wanted by the law for anything.
They had many, many friends and family. 

I feel confident that post cards would have been sent periodically.  None have.
Passports were not required to enter the states in that time period.  I think regular Id would have sufficed.  Times have changed in that regard.

I'll keep reading your posts on this thread, for sure!!

JB

Good work Cana. 

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
I'm really curious to see what more this friend found out re: the Minesota guy.

Also- just to be clear, that unidentified couple is not the one I am referring to- this body they found that is likely to be Ron was found in Minesota (not the un'id couple) just to be clearer in my wording.

Which is interesting- I mean, a third possibility right?  Looks like they used the kayak (at least Ron did) if this possibility is correct.  Again, if it tipped, would explain why no one saw the car with a kayak on the roof.

Which also leads me to ask a more disturbing question re: why Terry hasn't been found (again, assuming this is Ron).  I have PM'd you JB because I want another perspective before I post something that may be rude.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
Will this body in Minnesota be tested to see if is Ron - does anyone know?

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
It looks like it Leo, that is the impression I get from that posting anyway.