Author Topic: Michael Traynor - 26 - Murdered - 1978 - Barrie, ON - ARRESTS MADE  (Read 28195 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Michael Traynor - 26 - Murdered - 1978 - Barrie, ON - ARRESTS MADE
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
http://news.ca.msn.com/local/torontoExplosives find keeps 57 people out of homes in Barrie

Police and explosives experts combed through hidden bunkers, detonated homemade devices and analyzed unidentified chemicals on Friday as they sifted through a Barrie home belonging to suspects in a three-decade-old murder case.

The extensive investigation in this central Ontario city prolonged an evacuation order that has kept 57 local residents out of their homes for the past 24 hours.

Police put the order into effect on Thursday, hours after announcing arrests in a murder investigation dating back to 1978.

Donald Feldhoff, 54, has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of 26-year-old Michael Traynor. His 75-year-old father, William, has been charged as an accessory after the fact.

Provincial Police Det. Insp. Martin Graham said the case broke the day before when Donald Feldhoff turned himself in at a local station.

The subsequent arrest of William Feldhoff, he said, triggered the search of the house where the father and son had lived for decades.

The cache of explosives, chemicals and firearms unearthed there is being handled separately from the murder investigation, he said.

"There's no indication that any evidence inside the residence is linked to the 1978 murder of Michael Traynor," Graham said at a news conference.

The police probe into the Feldhoff residence proceeded slowly as experts picked their way through a thicket of suspicious devices.

Barrie police Staff Sgt. Norm Meech said at least five explosive devices were found outside the home, adding exposed wires were also visible throughout the scene. Several containers of unidentified chemicals were also found toward the back of the home, he said.

Meech said investigators also stumbled on a bunker that ran at least 4.5 metres long and more than two metres deep. A second, smaller bunker is believed to be concealed under the back deck, he said.

'Safety is paramount'

Meech said it's too early to speculate when the order will be lifted. He said the evacuation of 22 nearby homes was a necessary safety precaution given the potential danger of the investigation.

"There are wires around. that's why we have to proceed so slowly," he said. "We understand we are inconveniencing the neighbourhood, but public safety is paramount. We will take our time and we will ensure there's no danger at this residence before we allow neighbours back in."

Police began removing some of the most pressing threats on Friday afternoon, sending plumes of smoke into the air as they disabled two of the homemade explosives.

Meech said many risks remain even when the explosives have been neutralized.

"We have to now deal with unknown chemicals in various containers inside the residence," he said. "After our explosive disposal unit deems it's safe, then we have to begin our criminal investigation into the firearms as well as the making of these explosive devices."

Meech said police anticipate laying further charges in the coming days.

The arrest of the Feldhoffs marked the culmination of an investigation that began when Traynor, who was working as a local plumber's apprentice went missing in the fall of 1978.

Traynor's family reported him missing on Sept. 18, six days after he was seen having a night out with friends.

Police said his body was found weeks later in a bush area in Springwater Township, north of Barrie. Local media reports from that year said he was found with his hands tied behind his back and gunshot wounds to his chest.

Wow....he turned himself in, after all these years.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:40:32 AM by jobo »

chrisboy2004

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
wow, didnt know he had turned himself in...wonder what prompted the guilty conscience. Don't see that happen too often, in all likelihood, had he not said anything, he would have got away with it, short of blowing up the neighbourhood

I know between yesterday and today, they've detonated 6 IED's there...

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
I am not so sure he had a guilty conscience.....I am thinking more along the lines of:   He started to get too scared to live in a house with his dad that could blow up any minute.   

SAP

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
You could be correct Jobo. According to the articles, there were loose wires everywhere. Just imagine trying to walk through the house trying to evade these wires. Really bizarre mental torture, imo. I am interested in getting inside the father's brain ... if he talks.

SAP

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
Just imagine the work cut out for the combined police services in this job. Horrific and frightening!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/07/14/toronto-barrie-explosives-cold-case.html

CBC News Posted: Jul 14, 2012 12:07 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 14, 2012 12:05 PM ET
Barrie Police have evacuated approximately 25 homes as a precaution after explosives were found at a residence on Virgilwood Crescent in Barrie, Ont., on Thursday. (Benjamin Ricetto/Canadian Press)

It's not likely that residents of a Barrie, Ont., neighbourhood will be back home this weekend as police continue to comb through a house that was found to contain explosives.

Fifty-seven people were forced from their homes Thursday evening after investigators found six explosive devices while executing a search warrant on Virgilwood Crescent.

A father and son charged in a 34-year-old homicide case lived in the residence.

When police executed a search warrant at their home on Thursday, investigators found the explosives and various unidentified chemicals.

"There's lots of wiring around the house, lots of wiring into the devices, lots of wires around the back of the house as well," Const. Angela Butler of the Barrie Police Service said.

"We need to take things slowly. It's a step-by-step process. You just can't do everything at once because that may trigger something else. So, again, it's very methodical, very slow, for the safety of the officers inside and everybody here in the community."

Precarious work
Staff Sgt. Norm Meech said the process is taking longer than expected because there are different sorts of explosive devices and because they don't know what the chemicals are.

Local police have been working with the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Ottawa and the Ontario Provincial Police's Urban Search and Rescue Team.

Sgt. Tim Conroy said residents wouldn't be able to go home Saturday and "probably not tomorrow."

The search stops at night for fear that workers will trip an explosive device, he said.

Fifty-four-year-old Donald Feldhoff has been charged with first-degree murder in the 1978 death of 26-year-old Michael Traynor.

His 75-year-old father, William, was charged as an accessory after the fact.

Police say Donald Feldhoff turned himself in on Wednesday, triggering the arrest of his father and the search of the house the pair lived in for decades.

chrisboy2004

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
latest news... more IEDs have been found in the Barrie home. Sand trucks will be used to move some explosives off site (Police confirmed with CTV News)

Coral

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
To say that Feldhoff and son are not normal, would be the understatement of the year.  These two are absolutely nuts.  Evidently one or both have a keen interest for explosives.  Why?  Were they stocking up to protect themselves in case someone ever found out what they did and came to arrest them?  That would indicate a high level of paranoia!  Or, were they just interested in that sort of thing as a hobby?  Was just one of them into that and the other living in fear?  Where is the Mrs.??? I'm almost afraid to ask.

I wonder if Mr. Traynor was killed by one or both for a specific reason, and then that was the end of it, or if they have killed others?  Hopefully they will be able to compare their DNA to other homicide victims in other unsolved cases.  It would help if the police issued their photos.  Maybe someone would recognize them in relation to other cases. 

I wonder where they worked or if they worked.  Were explosives a part of their job/s?  I have a terrible feeling that these two have been up to no good for too long, and this is only the tip of the iceberg with more to come.  I'm glad they are finally behind bars.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
Well, Coral I am certainly glad that the son did turn himself in.  Now the family of Michael Traynor might get Justice.

I google mapped the house, it is right in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, neighbours on either side, and in front and behind.  I would hate to think what might have happened in that area had son or dad decided to blow up the house.

I too, kindof wondered if they were getting ready for a 'stand-off' in case the Police came asking questions about the UNsolved murder, but the Cops never came questioning....hmmm.   

But like SAP said...."I am interested in getting inside the father's brain...If he talks". 
                 I second that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:29:39 PM by jobo »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
I had CTV news on and there were 60 people evacuated from a street in Barrie, Ontario. The father and son have been making bombs, I guess it is a very dangerous situation there. The police were investigating a murder from 29 years ago and they came across all of this unexpected dangerous situation.  I remember a case on here about a man that was killed by a bomb in Ontario. He had left a business and opened his own or something and someone killed him with a bomb. I am wondering if this is the murder that they were investigating. I cannot remember the name of the person. Can any of you remember this cold case that the police were investigating on this property. Just a thought, that it may have been that case, because it was never solved.   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
I started a thread here about the bombs in Ontario and I could not remember Michael's name. Thanks for posting this information.

So happy to hear that this case was solved. And these are really dangerous people, gives me the chills. To think this was going on for years and nobody arrested these crazy men, it is a miracle nobody else died. The police certainly have mountains of evidence now. I do hope everyone will be safe in that neighbourhood, including the police and those trying to dismantle the bombs. And it is definitely closure for Michael's family that these crazy people were found to be responsible. The world is getting crazier by the minute. It scares me.
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

chrisboy2004

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
given the amount of booby traps the police encountered, its nothing short of amazing that none of them were tripped when the local children were out trick or treating over the years...and there's still quite a number of young children on the street.  Even more worrying are the ied's the police found in the house, that they wouldnt detonate on site, but are taking to Base Borden to do so... says to me that these ones are much more powerful. Going to be interesting watching CTV news tonight at 11

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
Thank goodness nothing happened, like you say chrisboy2004.  I hope all the people working at that house stay safe too, because they are not near finished.  I will add this latest article because it gives a little more insight into the family.  It does say that the father was married.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2

SAP

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »
Traynor was bound with copper wiring, so they were probably already making IEDs back then. Most people wouldn't have copper wiring on hand for quick use.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
Good observation, SAP. True, eh? 

Did you read the part whereas the son thought there was a warrant out for his arrest?  And, we know there wasn't, the article says the Police never did have any connection with the perps and Victim. 
He may have lived the last 30+ years so paranoid the Cops were coming.  The paranoia, the bunkers and such, and mom being ill, and dad too, I think son had enough of the stress, that is the reason he turned himself in.  My opinion only.