Author Topic: Winnipeg Police need help identifying body found in Red River  (Read 12072 times)

HaveThoughtsWillTravel

• It's a fine line between genius and insanity.
    • View Profile
Police need help identifying body found in river

Winnipeg police are seeking help to identify a woman whose body was found in the Red River.

The body was discovered on June 15 by someone who noticed a black plastic garbage bag floating in the water not far from the North Perimeter Bridge.

Four days later, the police revealed the body was that of a woman but said homicide was not suspected because an autopsy revealed no signs of foul play.

The woman believed to be between 35 and 50 years old, and about five feet and six inches tall with a slim build.

She may have also worn dentures, police said.

Photos of jewelry the woman was wearing have been released by police in hopes it might help identify her.

Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 204-986-4510.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/police-help-identifying-body-found-river-170335285.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:31:03 PM by HaveThoughtsWillTravel »

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Police need help identifying body found in Red River
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
If there was no signs of foul play...why a black plastic garbage bag?

Occam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »
Generally speaking, when LE states they don't suspect homicide in regards to a body that has been disposed of, it probably means that the deceased died of a drug overdose and was then 'moved' to avoid drawing attention to criminal activities he or she may have been involved in.
'

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
Some would be inclined to believe that a child of 20, say, that even if they died of an overdose could be seen as a crime from many angles especially if they were then dumped into a dumpster. One, who sold/gave/forced the child of 20 drugs? Two, did they have drugs in their system willingly? Three, and wouldn't moving the body to a dumpster in and of itself be a crime? Fourth, was the person really a druggie, or made to be a druggie unwillingly?

Likewise, when did bodies wrapped in plastic bags and dumped like trash into rivers not ever be a crime?

Or is it a slip of the tongue...."don't suspect homicide" but other crimes may have been committed during the disposal of a body as if there was no respect whatsoever? Much less in a stream for fishing, swimming, child's play, boating, and real estate esthetics? When did the days of handling a person, even if deceased, with respect and proper burial go to the wayside? A crime?....

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »
I'm not going to get into a wide open debate about how the body got there and what happened to it beforehand. I trust what the cops say about there being no evidence of foul play. Simple.

I thought for sure that disposal of a body other than by accepted means would be an easy hit in a search. Not so. Disposing of a child most ceryainly is but I have been through about half of the CCC thus far and was underwhelmed with the results. There is FAR more on bejesus gun control and that idiocy than there is on this, which doesn't shock me so much. I had thought that the sicko fluffer from Montreal who liked Canada Post so much was charged with something to do with *care of a deceased body* But my internet is sloooow out here and I can't search for more than one thing at a time. Anyway

More IF I can find it.

Throw a body away, meh. Throw a gun away and they throw the book at you. Long live the 90's.

Nish
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:25:23 AM by Nish »

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »
GOT IT!

Dead body
182. Every one who

(a) neglects, without lawful excuse, to perform any duty that is imposed on him by law or that he undertakes with reference to the burial of a dead human body or human remains, or

(b) improperly or indecently interferes with or offers any indignity to a dead human body or human remains, whether buried or not,

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 178.
From: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-85.html#docCont

I could be wrong, but this seems to cover the questions surrounding dead bodies. Why I didn't hit it in my search terms (which started to creep me out quite a bit) I do not know.

Nish

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Jane Doe pulled from the river
By: Aldo Santin

Police hope jewelry recovered from a woman's body pulled from the Red River will help identify her.
Winnipeg Police are asking for the public's help in identifying a body recovered from the Red River two weeks ago.

The body was spotted about 10 a.m. June 15 on the east shore of the Red River, just south of the north Perimeter Bridge.

The body is that of a woman, believed to be 35 to 50 years of age, approximately 5-5 in height, with a slim build. She may have been wearing dentures.

The woman was wearing four pieces of unique jewelry police hope will lead to her identification.

Michalyshen said while there were some witness reports the body was found wrapped in plastic, that was incorrect. He added the body was found entangled in debris, which probably led passersby to reach their conclusions.

Michalyshen said those false reports have led people to believe the body was another victim of alleged serial killer Shawn Lamb, adding this woman was not murdered.

Two of the women alleged to have been killed by Lamb -- Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith -- were found wrapped in plastic near Dumpsters in the city's West End.

Michalyshen said the autopsy found no wounds on the woman's body.

"At this time, this is a missing person's investigation," Michalyshen said. "Members of our homicide unit are not involved in this investigation."

Anyone with information is asked to call 204-986-4510.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*449/4186630.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/jane-doe-pulled-from-the-river-160647765.html&usg=__BJ-HZV1Ap0_gdnww-55FSj_TJv8=&h=449&w=648&sz=46&hl=en&start=18&zoom=1&tbnid=jMZIM1_g_55liM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=137&ei=uWzwT8LqBofD2QXK6uTFCg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwoman%2Bfound%2Bin%2Bred%2Briver%2B2012%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1Q1DCCA_enCA358CA358%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
Good catch, Debbie. I hadn't noticed the construct of the news article(s) that gave weight to the mention of the plastic as witness accounts. Changes things entirely.

Nish

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
The article attempts to clear up some items, while posing questions in others.

It explains a woman's body found in the river is a missing person's case at this point. I guess we are to assume that women that go missing in rivers are just missing.

I'm waiting for the day when we can come to the conclusion that people don't just one day say, hey I want to be missing let me jump into the river and die. Or, the day when just because there is "no visible signs" it is not a crime to find a dead body in the river or the dumpster. And, I'm waiting for the day that we don't assume just because someone has drugs in their system they accidentally died or had a drug habit. And, truth be told, even if they did have a drug problem, and no visible signs, that perhaps a crime may still have been committed.  And, speaking of "missing person's investigations" how is it that so many people just disappear? How did we get to this point?

Are some elements becoming smarter in what they do? Are they succeeding?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:32:02 PM by Concerned »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
Here is a story out of Toronto.  A man found dead in a landfill in Michigan, but the garbage came from Toronto......AND..no foul play??

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/police-id-body-in-michigan-landfill-as-canadianAssociated Press, thecanadianpress.com,

Kevin Joseph Arendt is shown in a police handout photo. The body of a Canadian man found in a landfill in Michigan likely came in a shipment of garbage, authorities say. Arendt of Mississauga, Ont., was last seen leaving a bar June 27 near Dundas Street West and Confederation Parkway in Mississauga. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Peel Regional Police
MONTROSE TOWNSHIP, Mich. - The body of a Canadian man found in a landfill in Michigan likely came in a shipment of garbage, authorities say.

Kevin Joseph Arendt of Mississauga, Ont., was last seen leaving a bar June 27 near Dundas Street West and Confederation Parkway in Mississauga.

George Tudos, a Peel police spokesman, said it's strange that the 38-year-old's body was found in a landfill.

"Investigators are still trying to determine how he came to end up there," Tudos said.

Authorities in Michigan say they suspect Arendt's body arrived in a shipment of Canadian garbage. It was found Friday by a worker at the Brent Run landfill in Montrose Township.

The autopsy, conducted in the U.S., didn't reveal anything that appeared to be criminal in nature, Tudos said.

When Arendt first went missing, he was seen driving a navy blue Jeep Liberty with Wisconsin plates. But Tudos said that as far as he knows, Arendt was Canadian. He wasn't sure if the Jeep belonged to Arendt.

Although no foul play is suspected, Arendt's family told police that it was out of character for him to go missing.

The landfill is about 110 kilometres northwest of Detroit. The investigation is ongoing.

(not sure why the link is already broken...but it is)

Occam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
Thank you debbiec, i overlooked the wording in the article as well. Good eye. and as far as the disposal of human remains is concerned, they criminal code of Canada provides LE with several options for punishing those responsible, i.e. indignity to a corpse, and improper treatment of remains etc.