Author Topic: Wendy Marie Hewko - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2007)  (Read 10827 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Wendy Marie Hewko - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2007)
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:09:54 AM »
http://www.am770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=74282725912&rem=71480&red=801272523aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

CALGARY/AM770CHQR - Calgary police are calling it a 'suspicous death' after human remains were found Wednesday in the Bow River, near the Cushing Bridge.
Police have not identified the victim, but did confirm the remains found near the pathway are not those of a rafter missing who disappeared near the weir in early June.
Calgary police and Calgary search and rescue teams are currently on scene looking for more evidence.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Wendy Marie Hewko - Unsolved Murder - Calgary (August 2007)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:56:21 AM »
Sat, August 4, 2007

Autopsy complete
UPDATED: 2007-08-04 01:58:31 MST

By NADIA MOHARIB

Police say an autopsy has been completed on human remains found earlier this week near the Cushing Bridge.

But they were tight-lipped on saying what it revealed or much information on how the body of the woman, said to be in her late 40s, ended up in pieces, only to be later discovered by a person walking along the banks of the Bow River earlier this week.

Cops are officially calling the case a suspicious death but several sources have said foul play is suspected.

Acting Major Crimes Insp. Keith Cain said investigators are talking with the woman's friends and family to determine where she was and what she was doing in the last days of her life.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/08/04/4393386-sun.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2007/08/release.20070804_102247_4624_0

The Calgary Police Service Violent Crime Team 1 is
investigating the discovery of human remains near the Cushing
Bridge on Wednesday, August 1, 2007. The Office of the Chief
Medical Examiner completed an autopsy on Friday. The victim
has been identified as Wendy Marie HEWKO, 48, of Calgary.
The autopsy confirmed her death was the result of foul play
and that her body had been at that location for less than one
week. The cause of her death will not be released for
investigative purposes.

Investigators are asking for the public's assistance in
determining the last two weeks of the victim's life. Anyone
with information is asked to call the Calgary Police Service
at 266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Violent Crime Team Staff Sgt. Keith Cain will be available to
speak with the media today at 11:15 a.m., under the arches
outside of the Andrew Davison Building, 133 6 Ave. S.E.

A picture of HEWKO will be sent out to the media via separate

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

This is terrible! How many others were chopped up? We don't know. Just the mentality of someone who would do this makes me want to upchuck. :'( :'(

This is terrible news, and I pray for the family, and all the friends of this woman. Oh, just read what Chris got. Her name is Wendy Marie Hewko, 48, of Calgary.Remains there for about one week.  >:( >:( >:(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:38:30 PM »
Does anyone know where this bridge is?

I wonder if this is a domestic dispute. No one seems to have been reported missing and why would they if the husband or boyfriend did it?

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:05:15 PM »

I noticed many murders that happen in this city, the COD is announced right away, shot, stabbed, beaten, etc. it is all announced. When a woman is discovered, and no COD announced, it makes me think it is far more sinister than the murders we do hear details about.

Yes, I noticed that when women are found, not much is said about the condition the person was left in. All that does to me, is think that there is a mo or signature that could give stuff away.There is something unique. Who ever is doing this is totally bent, and mobile. >:( >:( >:(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »
I don't really recall a crime quite like this though in Calgary. It sounds like she was chopped up or dismembered. The only question I have is why would that person not just place her in the river? Did he want it to be found? Who was this woman?

A few years ago there was a woman chopped and found in a garage. Her lesbian lover was convicted of that.

I agree, I though kare got involved all over Alberta. They were notified when that body was found just north of Calgary this year.

I hope this is a case that does just sit and get no attention. This is a cruesome murder is sounds like, it should be treated with priority.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »
P.S. I am moving this to the Alberta Unsolved Murder section later on today.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »
Police are looking for the public's help in trying to determine where murder victim Wendy Marie Hewko was during the last two weeks.

The 48-year-old Calgary woman was identified yesterday as the city's 17th homicide of the year, three days after human remains were found by someone walking along the Bow River near the Cushing Bridge.

Police will not reveal how Hewko died. They have said her remains were likely dumped where they were found and were on the riverbank for less than a week.

Acting Major Crimes Staff Sgt. Keith Cain said the body was "not intact" when found, adding cops do not believe the remains washed up onto the shore.

Hewko's devastated nephew, John Hewko, said he hadn't heard from his aunt for weeks but had no reason to be concerned until he heard her name on a TV newscast yesterday morning.

"I crossed my fingers and hoped it was someone else," the 35-year-old said.

"She used to walk me to school every day and was part of a close-knit family -- she will be missed."

John said Calgary-born Hewko, who had no children, was one of several siblings and had a common-law husband. Police said they spoke with that man but have no reason to think he is a suspect.

They said they have no motive behind Hewko's killing and do not know if it is random.

Anyone with information is asked to call cops at 266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/08/05/4395149-sun.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 03:27:01 PM »
CALGARY/AM770CHQR - DNA tests have confirmed human remains found near the Max Bell Arena the end of August are those of a woman whose remains also turned up near the Cushing Bridge on August 1st.
Police are not releasing the cause of death of 48-year-old Wendy Marie Hewko.
http://www.am770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428327912&rem=76345&red=80132723aPBIny&wids=400&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

Another? I wish this murdering of people would stop. It doesn't make any sence, and it really makes me angry, that there are people getting away with it. >:( >:(

R.I.P.  Wendy, and may peace come to all family and friends, when who ever did this gets caught. :'(

kindheart

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
Wendy Marie Hewko
Hewko's many struggles began when was she born prematurely in Drumheller and
Her family moved to Calgary before her first birthday and Hewko, 48, grew up loving skiing, camping and trail riding.
Problems with alcohol began when she was a teenager and she endured several abusive relationships.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=1553d82b-9e61-4ea7-bd23-482ebc71708e&p=3

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »
http://www.am770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428654912&rem=86710&red=80165423aPBIny&wids=400&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

CALGARY/AM770CHQR - Calgary police have made an arrest in the nearly seven-month-old murder investigation of Wendy Hewko.
With the help of Newfoundland's Gander RCMP Major Crimes Unit - 37-year-old Victor Dean Gosse was tracked down at a home in Fredrickton, NL.
He has been charged with one count of manslaughter and one count of indignity to a body.
Parts of Hewko's body were found near the Cushing Bridge August 1st and near the intersection of Memorial Drive and Barlow Trail August 29th.
She'd been missing since July.
Police say Hewko and Gosse were roommates in Calgary before he moved back to his native Newfoundland in late August.
Gosse remains in custody in Gander and is expected to be flown back to Calgary within the next six days.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
I had a feeling this one would never be solved. I am sure glad the police kept up the good work here!

Great news is always so nice here!

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »
Hopefully this guy will just be a good person and confess and get it over with. By dismantling her body and dumping it so it would not be found, he wanted to avoid capture. He was and so he should do the right thing.