Author Topic: woman found in Barrie dumpster June 22 2012  (Read 7100 times)

soccermom

woman found in Barrie dumpster June 22 2012
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
Hi all --

I gather the police are not going to identify the woman who was found in an apartment building dumpster in Barrie on June 22, out of respect for privacy for the family. Although media reports say the forensic results (toxicology report, in this case) may take months to return, LE seems already to have decided this is not a case of foul play. So perhaps I needn't have posted a thread. I'm not sure if LE has decided it is an accidental overdose or suicide, but...

I'm pretty sure that woman could not have climbed into the dumpster on her own. Maybe that's part of the reason for this prelim assumption there is no foul play; maybe the person who placed her there has come forward with an explanation that satisfies LE. But I don't know how foul play can be ruled out so easily without the autopsy findings.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3588830

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: woman found in Barrie dumpster June 22 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »
There is no foul play suspected, the story says, but since when has it been where a girl in her 20s dies...in a dumpster. Something isn't right in that scenario. Much too young to die. And, how did she get in the dumpster? It's not adding up for me.

SAP

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »
Was there perhaps a garbage chute leading from the apartment down to the dumpster? Some older larger complexes had those things before ... probably a late 60's thing.

eta: Yes larger complexes had/have them.

http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Divisions/ParkingBylawServices/MunicipalLawEnforcement/WasteChutesReview.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:56:13 PM by SAP »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
I agree Concerned - it seems strange that someone would crawl in a dumpster and die.  Wonder if the family will question this later or not, maybe there are things the public will never know.

Im_new_here2

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
It's actually a fairlly common thing for homeless people .. I have no idea if thats the case here or not but i do know its quite common for the homeless mind you thats also more of a winter kinda thing too..so i have no idea.

looking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
If the toxicology results weren't back, then what would lead them to believe there was no foul play?  If she overdosed they wouldn't know that.  Can't hang yourself in a dumpster, so can't see suicide.  Died of exposure?

2soccermom

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
She was found in June; unless she died months earlier, weather would not be an issue.

I wish we could have an autopsy report to support the ruling out of foul play. I'd feel better to know that 1) an autopsy was conducted and 2) report concludes suicide. A young woman died in very sad circumstances; the family has withheld her name so people who may have known her but are not connected to family may not be aware she's gone. My sympathies are deeply with the family and I don't mean to say this with any judgment, but:  for my part, I don't believe suicide -- or sex work, drug addiction, mental health issues  etc -- should be  cause for stigmatization, secrecy or silence. (I am NOT suggesting this unnamed woman's death is related to any of these, just indicating generally I don't feel there should be any shame attached since people's life circumstances are all different.) I would rather see this young woman recognized and publicly mourned for the sad loss of young life her death represents -- even if there are indeed very difficult contexts/circumstances. (I know that's easy for me to say when I'm not dealing with this family's pain.)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
An autopsy was done, according to the article.  Tox tests do take months.  Age factor  points towards drug overdose in my opinion.  She possibly was a runaway?  Dumpsters are often used as shelter, sadly. (This was an outside dumpster behind an apartment building).

No foul play suspected - could mean no sign of strangulation, no wounds, either by gun or sharp instrument, position of body when found, etc. etc.

The family's privacy is important to them. I don't think I would want my daughter's name spread all over the paper's if she had died of an overdose. That is IF.  It is usually stated "passed away suddenly" in the obits.

My heart goes out to her family.  This sadly, happens all too frequently.

JB

looking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Does anybody know of anyone ever committing suicide in a dumpster?  Must have been accidental?  It would be a dangerous place to go for shelter, and it was summer.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Well, there is the case of the girl who was found dead in the water tank at the Cecil Hotel.....foul play nor drugs involved, so it must have been a mental episode. Maybe it is a mental episode in this case too. 

looking

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
That's the only thing that would make sense.