Author Topic: Michael and Kathryn Rogers | Murdered 06-June-2012 | Collingwood  (Read 17131 times)

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
THE BLUE MOUNTAINS - Two Craigleith residents were murdered last week, and police continue to investigate the double homicide.

Kathryn Rogers, 55, and her husband Michael Rogers, 56, were murdered and their bodies were discovered in their home at 133 Kitzbuhl Crescent on Wednesday, June 6 at 1:35 p.m. by an OPP officer who arrived at the house investigating a missing person complaint.

Immediately police declared a double homicide investigation and a mobile command post arrived to the crime scene from OPP headquarters in Orillia.
The house at Kitzbuhl Crescent is immediately to the left of the intersection at Grey Road 19, and is taped off and surrounded by OPP vehicles and an investigation command post.

Michael Rogers worked at Blue Mountain Resort as a manager in the homeowner services department.

Dan Skelton, president and COO of Blue Mountain Resorts Limited said Rogers was a committed member of "the Blue Mountain family" for more than two and a half years.

"Michael will be dearly missed by all of us," said Skelton. "At this time our thoughts and condolences go out to the Rogers family and everyone who knew Michael and Kathryn ... we are deeply saddened and shocked by this information."

Police crews were scouring areas of Blue Mountain Village on Friday, June 8 late into the morning.

OPP have yet to confirm whether or not this search was related to the double murder investigation in Craigleith.

"We are obviously looking for the suspect or suspects," said Constable Martin Hachey of The Blue Mountains/Collingwood OPP. "As to where the search is concentrated, I have no idea."

Detective Inspector Shawn Glassford of the Criminal Investigations Branch is heading up the investigation.

Post mortem examinations on the victims confirmed foul play was involved in their deaths. Police are not releasing the cause of death, due to the ongoing investigation.

The Rogers' home was for sale at the time of the murder, with a list price of $895,000.

Anyone with information about these murders is asked to contact the Collingwood and The Blue Mountains OPP detachment at 705-445-4321 or 1-888-310-1122.

The OPP reminds all members of the public to be aware of their personal safety at all times. The OPP's website, www.opp.ca, contains a number of useful resources, tips and links.       

http://www.simcoe.com/news/news/article/1370122

Mom

• View Profile

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Michael and Kathryn Rogers | Murdered 06-June-2012 | Collingwood
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
This is truly sad, to me it sounds like they are brothers.  I just hope the poor mother isnt around to have to be going throught this.  Hope the responsible ones are found JMO

openeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
Ever stop to think that maybe he booked off the Sat to go be with his mother and other siblings? It has not been proven that the brother did this to his family. People are just assuming at this time. and as for him going into the centre lane and hitting the transport truck maybe his mental state wasnt there no one knows what happened and everyone keeps assuming that he did it and then he killed himself. I just wish people would stop assuming.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
Allright, openeyes....I shall remove my offending post...and wait for the news release as to what happened to this poor family.  Sorry if I upset you.
I am glad the trucker was not another lost life.  RIP to the Victims.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
Quote:

"I just wish people would stop assuming."

People are going to question why Police cordoned off his locker at work with police tape, and even more so when Police would not confirm nor deny that he is a suspect in the double murder.  Any thoughts that he may be involved are the direct result of these Police actions. 

I certainly hope not.  This is so much tragedy for one family.

Hf

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
not so sure that people are assuming but rather speculating, which is what is done on this site , as well as by LE at the begining of any investigation I am thinking.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »
Once again, I just came right out and said what I figured happened.  I speculate and then end up in hot water.  (People are correct when they say this forum has changed.)   
I am tired of being run down by people that post once or twice and then disappear for good......they need to stop googling names if they don't want to read what others have to say.   I didn't realize this thread is for condolences only.

I would think the family members of the deceased couple would obviously have to take time off work when faced with such tragic news

SAP

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
I suppose with more people reading this site than years ago after its inception we will be faced with this, jobo. Nothing stays the same as time evolves.
I have begun to look at it this way ... if something sinister happened in my family, through no fault of mine at all, I would feel protective of the others. Wouldn't you? I would probably be one signing up to give speculators heck and would even tackle inconsiderate media. Gossip can be so harmful.
On the other hand, my thoughts were the same as yours.

soccermom

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

I am tired of being run down by people that post once or twice and then disappear for good......they need to stop googling names if they don't want to read what others have to say.   I didn't realize this thread is for condolences only.

Jobo, I understand your frustration, especially if you have a long-standing relation with this site and watch "newbie" folks (perhaps like myself) who shift in other directions or otherwise seem to disrupt a usual way of working within the system. I agree wholly with you, SAP; I too think that when we are speculating about named or implied real people's involvement in horrific crimes, we have to be at once accountable for our claims and willing to risk the ire of (especially innocent) suspect folk.  If we dish it, we may also have to take it. I'm not speaking to anyone's claims in this thread but generally; for my part, I'm glad this site offers a forum for condolences and information-sharing  equally as it affords sleuthing exercise and the opportunity to work as a community for justice. BUT: at the risk of inciting other people's profound irritation with ME (and I am not referring to any of your posts, Jobo, nor to any posters on this thead) I have indeed myself been someone who has oft been frustrated  with some VERY loose and named speculations which, in my educational expertise, comes very close to the legal definition of libel -- particularly when private or confidential information is released. Please:  I deeply hope none of you will oversimplify what I am saying or misunderstand my intention. I regularly and profoundly rely on sites like Unsolved Canada and, too, on its more American counterpart, Websleuths, and I find the sites and discussions to be instrumental in keeping so many of these unsolved cases in some form of public attention. The work we do is critically important. And to be most fair, most of what has been shocking to me in  these kinds of borderline posts has appeared on other sleuthing sites and *not*  UC.  Still I'm saying that it is sometimes easy for the anonymous armchair poster (again, I'm referring to NONE of the contributors on this thead) to make wild assumptions and wilder statements that must deeply damage families already extraordinarily vulnerable in their pain.  Secondary trauma from the impact of suspicion is common among families in loss.  So I'm just simply taking the opportunity of response to the direction of discussion generally to rather redundantly suggest that our speculations have material and real-world applications and implications. So when we "sleuth" in ways that identify (i mean literally "identify") possible suspects, we need at once to think about the impact on the real life of a person named and to consider that person's right or other people's right to defend and offer other views. It would be best if we could do all of this in the most collegial ways possible; sadly, internet anonymity, as repeated research shows, seems seldom to produce the common decorum and general respect of interpersonal interaction.

Anywaaaay -- this was a rant of my own. I say, Jobo, keep sleuthing; I know you take this work seriously and do a fine job. But: we'll all likely get a bit calloused (hopefully not become CALLOUS -- lol?) in the endeavour.  We just have to keep fighting the good fight, while working for ethical encounters with others to this end.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:54:05 PM by soccermom »

openeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Family speaks out about murdered couple

THE BLUE MOUNTAINS - The family of murder victims, Michael and Kathryn Rogers, and brother Adam - who was killed in a head-on collision, spoke out publicly about the bond between the brothers and the generous couple.
"Mike and Kathy possessed an endless supply of love, compassion and generosity," said the family in a statement released by OPP. "Theirs was the kind of wisdom and advocacy you could always count on. We are struggling to understand something so incomprehensible, as the circumstances surrounding their death stand in complete contrast to the way they lived their lives."
 Michael and his wife, Kathryn were found murdered in their home at Kitzbuhl Crescent in Craigleith on Wednesday, June 6. Two days later, Adam Rogers, Michael's youngest brother, was killed in a head on collision with a tractor-trailer on Highway 26 in Springwater Township.
"Adam was a proud and private man who cared for his family, enjoyed motorcycles, and engaged in a range of outdoor recreational activities," read another statement from the family. "Like all of us, at the time of his accident, Adam was struggling to comprehend the shocking news given to him only 24 hours earlier about the death of his older brother Michael and sister-in-law Kathryn ... their bond was born in youth of mutual affection, support and respect."
Both statements went on to thank family, friends and co-workers for their support, and the OPP for their professionalism and sensitivity.
The family has appointed Dr. Paul MacDonald as their spokesperson and asked the media for privacy during their time of grief.
Michael and Kathryn lived full-time in Craigleith, and Michael worked at Blue Mountain Resort as the manager of the homeowner services department.
Adam Rogers lived in Barrie and was a contract worker at Honda of Canada manufacturing in Alliston.
The whole Rogers' family including Michael and Adam, their parents Dean and Joanne and their brother Andrew and sister Lianne enjoyed frequent ski trips and summer vacations at the family chalet at the base of Blue Mountain on the north end from the early 60's an on. The family moved to the area full-time about 1975.
Karen Baker-Bigauskas remembers spending lots of time with the Rogers family, since her mother and Joanne Rogers were best friends. They went skiing together, and spent hot summer days at Northwinds beach.
"The whole family was the absolute nicest family ever," said Baker-Bigauskas. "The kids were awesome. We had a lot of fun."
 She said the nine year's difference between Michael, the oldest, and Adam, the youngest, wasn't noticeable when she spent time with the family. "Everybody was just all together, it didn't matter what the ages were ... as kids, we were always together."
She remembers the Rogers' family running a hang gliding school at Blue Mountain for a while. 
 Baker-Bigauskas is the same age as the middle brother, Andrew, and has a daughter the same age as his daughter. Though she hasn't seen Adam or Michael in about 20 years, she did see Andrew a few times after she moved away from the area for school and work. She now lives in Mississauga.
Baker-Bigauskas said Michael and Kathryn had no children, and she didn't think Adam had any either, though she wasn't sure.
In his youth, Adam Rogers attended Georgian Bay Secondary School (GBSS) in Meaford.  Clarksburg resident Susan Lake said she was a student at GBSS at the same time as Rogers and his brother Andrew. Though Lake does not remember Michael Rogers, who was eight years older than Adam.
"I remember Adam in high school," said Lake. "He was a nice kid- athletic and popular. I'm sorry to hear about the accident that took his life."
 Police have released few details on the murder and crash investigations, saying they want to protect the integrity of the investigation.

http://www.simcoe.com/news/article/1378853--family-speaks-out-about-murdered-couple

Mom

• View Profile

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
What a waste of life, a very tragic story and the loss so great. I really feel sorry for those that are left behind to deal with this senseless act. My sympathy to everyone concerned in this tragedy, to those who worked with these people and saw them every day, the family and the community. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(