Author Topic: Martha Kelly - 73 - Missing - June 8, 2012 - Perth-Andover, NB  (Read 7862 times)

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Re: Martha Kelly - 73 - Missing - June 8, 2012 - Perth-Andover, NB
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Search for Perth-Andover woman enters fourth day
Martha Kelly, 73, hasn't been seen since she went for a walk on Friday
CBC News Posted: Jun 12, 2012 1:29 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 12, 2012 2:51 PM AT

Martha Kelly, 73, has not been seen since Friday evening. RCMPA fifth team of rescuers has joined the search for a 73-year-old woman missing from an assisted-living apartment in Perth-Andover.

Martha Kelly went for a walk Friday afternoon in the northwestern village and hasn't been seen in four days.

On Tuesday, a fifth team of search and rescue volunteers from Miramichi joined the effort.

District 10 RCMP Sgt. Marc Violette said teams are trying to cover as much ground as possible.

"The St. John River is bordered on both sides by abandoned railway beds that have been converted to multi-purpose trails. These are the trails that Mrs. Kelly used to enjoy walking on," Violette said.

"So we've had those covered by ATV, by aerial search and by ground crews. She also walked significantly on the public roads, on Highway 109, on all the streets within the village of Perth-Andover so we're covering those also."

Kelly's Description
Kelly is five-feet, three-inches tall and weighs about 150 pounds.
She has short grey and white hair, blue eyes and she was wearing glasses when she left home.Violette said Kelly was an avid walker and could easily have covered 20 kilometres in five hours.

He said civilian air searchers covered an area Monday from the Beechwood Dam all the way to Grand Falls, the U.S. border and Plaster Rock.

Kelly's family is keeping vigil at the command post located at her assisted living facility, Victoria Villa.

Kelly does not have major medical issues, but suffers from memory loss due to a brain aneurysm in 2002 and takes blood pressure medication.

Search and rescue crews scouring the area
Four ground search and rescue teams have been working the area since Saturday including Northwest, Tobique, York-Sunbury and Carleton.

A Cormorant helicopter from CFB Shearwater searched on Saturday.

On Sunday, two boats searched the St. John and the Tobique Rivers.

The provincial government has contributed a search dog from the Department of Natural Resources and members of its off-road vehicle enforcement unit.

The Perth-Andover fire department has also helped out and so has one officer from the Canadian Wildlife Service.

Members of the Canadian Air Search and Rescue Association (CASARA), covered rivers in the area on Monday including the Tobique, St. John and Aroostook.

The CASARA is a civilian organization with military training in aerial searches

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/06/12/nb-missing-woman-search-day-4.html

GSAR_Mbr

**Please note that River Valley Ground Search & Rescue was also involved on Sunday June 10th in this search. This means that 6 Provincial SAR teams have been involved.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
lord I truly hope she just became disoriented and is found safe. Wonder why the assisted living waited until the next day to report her missing? 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »
Good thinking Eyes.  Why would her residence, who was reponsible for her care wait?  One answer, although a feeble one on my part, may be that they did report her missing, but police would not take action on it until a later time.??
If that is the answer, (not determined) this is no consolation to her family.

JB
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:48:35 PM by jellybean »

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Good thinking Eyes.  Why would her residence, who was reponsible for her care wait?  One answer, although a feeble one on my part, may be that they did report her missing, but police would not take action on it until a later time.??
If that is the answer, (not determined) this is no consolation to her family.

JB

JB
While this is one of those ones I have to keep my comments in check I can confirm to you that it was not reported to the police until Saturday. Ground Search & Rescue Crews were dispatched Late Saturday Afternoon.

This is an assisted living facility where the residence all have their own apartements so it makes some sense that they wouldnt neccesarily notice right away depending on what the general times they see her are? For example if the residents cook and do everything in their own Apt then it would be no different than if I went missing from my Apt where I live. But being in the assisted living complex she would likely have been able to get help faster if needed during an emergency such as fire/medical etc.

Please note that I do not know how the living quarters are set up. This is just giving a possible answer to why it took so long for the search to commence. Martha was known to go on several walks each day.

GSAR_Mbr

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
GSAR, it doesn't look good for finding this lady safe. It will be just about a week now since she left and nobody has seen her. There sure was an extensive search for her. Is there a lot of housing in the area that she lives or is it isolated and woodsy there. I know what you mean about her leaving and nobody knowing when she returned. She has her own apartment and is able to go when she wants, so it would be hard to keep tabs on her all the time. It is amazing that she was not found though. Could she have gotten on a train or a bus or something. Of course, she did not have any purse with her at the time. My prayers go out to the family and friends, hope they find Martha. :o :o :o :o :o

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
It is all so mysterious when anelderly person goes missing such as this. Just going for a walk in broad daylight and nobody being able to find her. Well she could have taken a turn and fell down and was hidden from sight. There is not much hope of finding her safe now. Quite some time for a lady to be gone and nobody having seen her. :( :( :( :( :(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:11:08 AM by capeheart »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
Yes it is some time now that she has been missing? Wondering if there has been anything in the local media that I missed as I found nothing new.  Hoping she is found.

BlackRoses

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:54:09 PM »
I haven't heard a peep since the search was called off Eyeswideopen. So shocking and so sad. PA had just come through a major flood where it was a miracle no lives were lost, only to have an elderly lady disappear in broad daylight. You know that by now her chances of survival are essentially zero, barring some extraordinary circumstances, but even knowing that, it has to be so hard not to even have a body to bury and always having that nagging 'what if...'

I don't know the terrain of PA well, nor the area where she walked, but I'm wondering, as has been said, if she didn't fall and land somewhere out of sight, down an embankment, into heavy brush, or a crevice, etc and was either too injured or too disoriented to pull herself back to where searchers could spot her. Although I highly doubt an elderly lady would venture too far into the woods or off her usual route, and it still seems that even were she out of sight, the dog should have at least picked up some trail. Curious that nobody saw (or claims not to have seen) her vanish. 

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
I am wondering is Gas is aware of any updates we may have missed , not being from the area.  This is plain scarey that this woman could just disappear.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
Actually, I forgot all about this case until someone posted a note today. There has never been any news on CTV about this case at all. Sometimes when people go missing like this, we don't hear anything more about it. After they call off the search, it is just another case that we don't hear anything about. Sometimes the family are out there looking on their own after the news dies down. But if anyone knows anything, maybe we could hear. Maybe I'll get in touch with the poster of this case in a private message. :o :o :o :o :o

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Crime Stoppers Crime of the Week - Missing Person, Perth-Andover, N.B.

2012/11/19

Crime Stoppers and the RCMP in Perth-Andover are looking for information regarding the disappearance of a woman in Perth-Andover, New Brunswick.

On June 8, 2012, at approximately 5:00 p.m., 73-year-old Martha Kelly left for a walk, but she never returned to her East Riverside Drive apartment in Perth-Andover. She is said to have no medical issues, other than short term memory loss. She left her apartment without her purse or any money.

Martha Kelly is described as having a medium build, about 5'3" tall and weighing approximately 150 lbs. She has blue eyes, short grey/ white hair and she wears glasses. An exhaustive search of the area was unsuccessful in locating her.

If you have any information that could shed light on Martha Kelly's disappearance, contact Crime Stoppers at www.crimenb.ca to learn more about how to submit a tip or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers wants your information, not your name and you could qualify for a cash award of up to $2,000.00.

This Crime of the Week can be viewed on YouTube.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/news-nouvelles/releases-communiques/12-11-16-103733-eng.htm

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
as each day goes buy the chances she would be found safe deminish, hope this woman is found, and safe

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
I don't think she ever will be found safe. Whatever happened to Martha, like so many others, they disappear. She possibly just went for a walk and maybe she fell, maybe she was hit by a car or something. But it is amazing that nobody saw her. Terrible for family members not to know what happened to her.  It kind of reminds me of Curtis Barry. I've never heard of so many people that went for a walk and never came back. It is unbelievable and quite a mystery to me. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(