Author Topic: Identified - Laura Jessome - 21 - North Sydney, NS -  (Read 33134 times)

jmq25

• View Profile
Re: Identified - Laura Jessome - 21 - North Sydney, NS -
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
I agree with Mom - That Chronicle Herald article should be removed--and NEVER should have been posted. It's just a matter of respect.

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:37 AM »
My thoughts are in Board Talk.

I am not bothering to read the article. I do not need to know that badly.

Nish

Lou_Marie

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 05:59:39 AM »
UPDATE:

Cape Bretoners are expressing their shock about the death of a young woman whose body was found in a hockey bag.

Cape Breton Regional Police confirm the woman was a 21-year old from the Northside area, but won't release her name at the family's request. Her death is being treated as a homicide.

"It's a tragic event. Our thoughts and prayers as a police service are with the family of the victim," said Staff Sgt. Mike Kennedy, the lead investigator in the case.

"From what we've learned so far in the investigation, we're saying that it was not a random act. It seems to be an isolated incident."

Although the police will not release the victim's name, many people in the community know who she is and have expressed their feelings through social media sites.

"They say her death is shocking and very sad," the CBC's Wendy Martin reported Monday morning.

The woman's body was in a hockey bag that was found floating in the Mira River on Friday. Police divers scoured the area on Monday looking for more clues in her death.

Police have not said how she died or how long she had been in the river.

"The Cape Breton Regional Police Service presently has 25 members assigned full time to this investigation," Kennedy said earlier on Monday in a news release.

"As this investigation moves forward, if more resources are needed they will be taken from other sections within our police service or from outside agencies."

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/novascotia/hockey-bag-death-shocks-northside

Baba Donya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 06:45:21 AM »
Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know what a rubbernecker is...

I sure hope they can pull DNA off that bag and her!

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
Yes, the reasons aren't real clear why they would be instructed to with hold the name but have to assume so someone could be informed or the Police wished to initiate some action with a bit more secrecy. Once it was in the papers, whatever the reasons were evaporated. You can't unring a bell and it only delayed the inevitable by a few days.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
This article below says that the name was not released at the request of the family because not all family memers knew yet.

More can be read at the link below.

The body found stuffed in a hockey bag and floating in a river on Friday belong to a 21-year-old Cape Breton, N.S., woman, police said.

Cops are not yet releasing the victim's name to the media at the request of the family, who are still notifying loved ones.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/05/28/19806606.html

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Yes, no one wants to hear of the death of a loved one in the news papers. It only delayed us or anyone else knowing the name by a few days. Not that big a deal. imo

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
I was under the understanding that the police already released the name. They were already in stories talking about the events that led up to this and asking for more information from the public.

I think this is going to be the problem... how long to wait. Some articles pick up (in the industry its called 'regurgitation of articles,' or 'going viral with a story') old articles and say the same thing---name not released yet--while those news agencies that are on top of their game release the name as soon as they have permission to do so.

The name is already out there circulating, in my understanding, because the authoriities gave the appropriate time and now are asking the public for further details and they know the best time to ask the public for them is 1) when the news is still top of mind (news agencies hate posting old stories, especially sad ones), and 2) as soon as possible in hopes of catching the perp. Also, it is my understanding they usually give the family 24 hours to make all important notifications. Please correct me though, if I am wrong.

Not only that we live in the social media era and believe me family usually knows before the media in some instances. I also know of three cases where the family was told before the media release was given to news agencies--even to the families of like cases who may think that to be their family, but wasn't. So I think the authorities are also getting on top of this the best way they can. It would be a shame if the perp gets away due to articles not being current. (just another opinion)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
Yes, the name is out there now. It was one of the very first, and earliest articles from a newspaper that gave the name as "sources say..." and the very next line said that the police were not releasing the name at the request of the family. Other news articles such as the one above, did not give the name that early, stating that police were not releasing the name yet at the request of the family.

Cape Breton Regional Police confirm the woman was a 21-year old from the Northside area, but won't release her name at the family's request. Her death is being treated as a homicide.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:09:10 AM by debbiec »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
From CBC news, Nova Scotia.

CBC News
Posted: Jun 3, 2012 2:43 PM AT
Last Updated: Jun 3, 2012 6:41 PM AT

Cape Breton Regional Police say they have searched three residences in Glace Bay as part of the investigation into Laura Jessome's homicide.

Jessome's body was discovered in a hockey bag that was floating in the Mira River near Marion Bridge on May 25.

The police said several officers and the emergency response team executed search warrants at three locations.

They also seized a couple vehicles earlier in the week.

The police said the scenes are being "processed" but they are not revealing any more details. They also won't say what was found or what started the search.

"In sensitive investigations like the one we're conducting, the police are interested in preserving any evidence and not having too much information out there that can jeopardize the investigation," said Staff Sgt. Stephen MacKinnon.

MacKinnon adds the police have made no arrests, but they're investigating many tips from the public.

But he wouldn't say what sparked this weeks search warrants.

"All I can say is that is information police have obtained through their investigation," he said.

The police spent days scouring the river for more evidence, but they haven't said if anything was found.

Last week, Jessome's family urged the killer to come forward and made a public plea for anyone with information to contact the police.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
Oh My God............that is heart breaking that her father has passed away too, how much is the poor Mother to go through, first her baby , then her husband .  May she have strenght to get through this.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I was shocked to learn this evening that Laura's dad died of a heart attack and he's only 48 years old. That is going to be so hard for her mom to get through all of this. She will now have to go through everything alone. God bless the family and I send my prayers to Mrs. Jessome and her children and extended family members. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SAP

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
According to the following article, also a grandmother is now having cardiac problems over the deaths. Laura and her father and sister were threatened late last year, and her father was assaulted. This comes from a wordpress site, so not sure how credible it is ...
How much more can a family take; this is just so devastating.

http://mainstreamfair.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/laura-jessome-bras-dor-murdered/

RIP Laura and dad. :'(

SAP