Author Topic: Daniel Gandza, 32, Body Found Sooke (Van Island) Aug 2012  (Read 7932 times)

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:55:35 PM by leonagleant »

BCID

Re: Daniel Gandza, 32, Missing Victoria B.C.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
VicPD Continues Search for Missing Man 12-14604

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Victoria BC- VicPD Detectives are continuing to ask for the public's assistance is locating 32-year-old Daniel Gandza.

VicPD's Detective division has taken over the file and is leading this investigation with a team of officers who are becoming increasingly concerned about Gandza's well-being.

"We are specifically looking to talk to anyone who may have seen or heard from Daniel since his disappearance", said Detective Paul Spencelayh, lead investigator, "Daniel's family and investigators are becoming more and more concerned as to his where-abouts. Please help us find him."

Gandza was reported missing this past Tuesday by a family member. He was last seen on April 27th when he spent the evening at a friend's Fernwood home. He has had no contact with friends or family members since, and failed to report to work as a painter.

He is described as 6-feet tall with a slender build. He has short blonde hair with green eyes.

Gandza has been known to go on camping and hiking trips at East Sooke Park, Mount Douglas Park, and Mount Finlayson.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
This does not sound good.  I hope there is soon some word on this guy.

BCID

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca/2012/05/where-is-victorias-daniel-gandza/

Posted on May 17, 2012 by alee by alee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnGXxep2Xjshttp://www.twitter.com/CTVNewsAndrew

This entry was posted in News and tagged Andrew Johnson, Channel 12, CIVI, Cst. Mike Russell, CTV News, CTV Vancouver Island, Daniel Gandza, Find Daniel, Joan Gandza, missing person, Stephanie Jarymy, Television, VicPD, Victoria BC, Victoria Police Department by alee. Bookmark the permalink.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Disappearance+baffles+family/6643146/story.html

Disappearance baffles family

Times Colonist
May 18, 2012
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:44:36 PM by BCID »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
Would Daniel go hiking in the middle of the night/early morning hours without getting any sleep? That seems to be what the news stories are suggesting is possible. e.g. that he never went home, although one story says his roommate was asleep so I wondered is there some chance he went home and then left before the roommate awoke?? Does he live in Fernwood neighborhood? the posters indicate he went missing from Fernwood where he was visiting friends but does not tell us where home in terms of what part of Victoria. This may be imporatnt as  he might have headed for home as most people would when out late and tired.

BCID

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
I could find no Grandza or Gandza in the local Victoria directory.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
My mistake, I have corrected the name to Gandza in the header.

BCID

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
Thank you. I wasn't sure which was the proper spelling. But under either of the spellings, there isn't a single person listed in the local Victoria phone book.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
He had a roommate so the phone might have been under the roommate's name and it's not unusual for younger people and even some middle aged people to have a cell phone only these days. Speaking of which, was Daniel carrying a cell phone when he went missing??

FYI For those who like to hike alone and go on wilderness trips, there is something called a "Find Me Spot" you can buy that makes it easier for people to track you and make your expedition safer in case of accident.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:54:11 PM by leonagleant »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnGXxep2Xjs

This clip would suggest Gandza lived on Walnut Street with the visual shot of the street sign, though it doesn't clarify what street Gandza departed from in Fernwood before proceeding to Walnut?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:07:17 PM by leonagleant »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »
I don't think he ever left that apartment under his own steam. No one would go out in Fernwood to walk anywhere.
Been there, it is pitch black at night. Poor street lighting, never mind about rock climbing.
Something smells fishy here. Hope the police can come up with something for this family!!
JB

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
I know the area well and people do walk around night and day in Fernwood just like in any other friendly residential neighborhood in Canada. It is not known to be dangerous for any particular reason. I'm sure Daniel as a full grown man would have had no hesitation to do so.

But any hiking would be done in a different part of town entirely and I can't imagine anyone wanting to go hiking in the dark alone at night. Police/media reports are unclear if they mean maybe he went hiking the next morning.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »
As usual, it's the little papers that get the crucial details out there. Finally it is clarified that Daniel did make it home to change his clothes the night/day he went missing. His hiking books and keys were taken with him but his cell phone was left behind. However, what is still unclear is why he might have gone hiking in the middle of the night or the early morning when you think he would have needed to get some sleep after coming home in the wee hours of the morning and before working the next day?

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/159093985.html

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »

Daniel's body was finally found off a hiking trail. Sounds like it may have been suicide though that is not specified. Either that or an accident but foul play not suspected. Condolences to the family.

http://www.cfax1070.com/News/Top-Stories/Body-of-Missing-Man-Found-in-East-Sooke-Park

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Daniel Gandza, 32, Body Found Sooke (Van Island) Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
Rest with peace.