Author Topic: Bones found in woods near HWY1 Saint John NB 04/20/2012  (Read 15333 times)

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Bones found in woods near HWY1 Saint John NB 04/20/2012
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »

Sorry folks I cant say much about this one.
GSAR_Mbr

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Bones found in woods near HWY1 Saint John NB 04/20/2012
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »

Do you have a link for this article that you posted, GSAR? I can't find anything when doing a search for information on these bones.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »

Do you have a link for this article that you posted, GSAR? I can't find anything when doing a search for information on these bones.

Debbie, here is the link however it will only be accessible to those with a paid account to view this companies newspapers. They recently locked their site down all the NB news papers used to be free online.

http://www.telegraphjournal.com/tjonline/greatersj/10098276-274/hunt-bones-search-crews.html.csp

GSAR_Mbr

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Debbie, here is the link however it will only be accessible to those with a paid account to view this companies newspapers. They recently locked their site down all the NB news papers used to be free online.

Thanks GSAR. It's a shame they've recently locked their site so that it is only accessible to those with a paid account. It certainly makes it more difficult to check for updates on specific cases. 

Nilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
I know it is too early to really speculate on this, but my mind immediately jumps to Scott Arthur Taylor when I read this. He has been missing 4 months, almost on the nose. Is that long enough to skeletonize remains in the winter? It has been a very mild winter, too.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:33:31 AM »
Nilla, I can't answer whether the bones were human or animal at this time but I can say that no Scott TAYLOR's remains would not be skeletonized fully by this time. Under normal conditions especially due to the cold winter.

GSAR_Mbr

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
Bones discovered on outskirts of Saint John
Police aren't saying if remains are human

News staff Andrew Cromwell Apr 23, 2012 06:50:54 AM

SAINT JOHN, N.B.- Police are releasing very few details following the discovery of bones on the western outskirts of the city Friday afternoon.

Search and Rescue teams along with police combed through the area near the Prince of Wales exit on Highway 1 over the weekend.

Police say the bones will be sent off for analysis and have not said if they are human.

http://www.news889.com/news/local/article/354567--bones-discovered-on-outskirts-of-saint-john

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »
GSAR, I think there are a couple of people missing up there. Wasn't there someone lost  in an area and their vehicle was found, but they never found them, don't know if it was in Saint John. Maybe those bones were there for some time.  Hoping they can identify the remains of this person.  I also thought of Scott Taylor when I saw this posted. Please keep us informed if you get the ID of this individual.  :o :o :o :o

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
Cape

You refer to Greg Wry whos car was found in the Woodstock area a good 3 hours away.

And I can confirm that this has nothing to do with Scott Taylor.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
CBC story also says and I quote "Police do not believe the bones belong to Lionel Daigle, 58, who went missing from a special care home on the city's west side just over a year ago."
Is that enough to satisfy copyright laws? I hope so. I don't quite understand how much you can use. Admin can remove if this is a problem.
So that is two people that it isn't. Only one other missing person that I know of although there is a possibility of more that I haven't heard of. It's also possible someone who was not from the area dumped a body not far off the main road while on the way to someplace else.
I guess it's only on TV that experienced investigators can pretty much tell human bones from animal's and can make an educated guess as to the sex of the body.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
CBC story also says and I quote "Police do not believe the bones belong to Lionel Daigle, 58, who went missing from a special care home on the city's west side just over a year ago."
Is that enough to satisfy copyright laws? I hope so. I don't quite understand how much you can use. Admin can remove if this is a problem.
So that is two people that it isn't. Only one other missing person that I know of although there is a possibility of more that I haven't heard of. It's also possible someone who was not from the area dumped a body not far off the main road while on the way to someplace else.
I guess it's only on TV that experienced investigators can pretty much tell human bones from animal's and can make an educated guess as to the sex of the body.

Dulsebunny welcome to the Forums, I will make notes to you on the bold items in your post. Please take my points as educational and not as abraisive:

Point #1- Why would copyright laws be an issue here? All you are doing is stating a news source which is not subject to copyright. The admins do of course like to see the link added to the story generally so people can follow up but as a past Computer Tech and a Current LEO I cant see any issues with CopyRight. DebbieC may correct me on site policy though!!

Point #2- Your stats are way off in this case, I can name off the top of my head atleast 7 Active missing persons cases that I have been involved in in the Province of New Brunswick with persons still missing. The police agencies receive cases each day for Suicidal persons, Run aways, etc. This is something I try and stress on these topics as each time someone makes the news people think that it is such an off the wall case when actually they happen all the time and the media do not catch wind of them. in 2010 alone there were over 44 cases that Ground Search and Rescue was involved in within the Province of New Brunswick and if you look at the number that GSAR does not get called you would probably run and hide under a rock for safety.

**I in no way endorse hiding under a rock;) although GSAR crews are through and leave no stone un turned**

Point #3- I have so many comments I would like to say about this comment but as I am involved in the file I have to watch I do not divulge information the police havent yet brought to the attention of the media. I will note however that if you watch those shows you will note that generally the bones used to determine SEX are the Pelvis(hip bones), Age: Leg, Jaw and Cranium etc.

These news articles did not state what bones were found nor if a whole skeleton was located etc. Perhaps they could not make those determinations for logical reasons?

You will note that the police have now made it clear that they are human bones which were located, and if you look closely at one of the pictures you will note that a Forensic Anthropologist is in the image. :) 

Its like the old saying, there is what the Police tell Media, Then there is what the media Report and then there is what the Police Actually know (AKA there is your side, my side and then the truth.)

Lesson learned in this Short novel of a reply- Is that lots of people go missing and are not reported AND that the media never get the whole story

GSAR_Mbr

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Thank you, GSAR_Mbr.  Several individuals who have been missing for a long period of time do immediately come to mind.

I am thinking as well that the bones may not even be those of someone who is missing from the immediate or surrounding area.

Hopefully, if for no other reason than the peace of mind of surviving family members, it will be possible to make a positive identification and the individual will be able to be properly laid to rest.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
Gas well said and such valid points , I applaud you for the work you do and time you take to come on here. I am sure your family or loved ones are proud of you.  I know we the forum on here sure are.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
I look forward to your posts too, GSAR_Mbr...they are educational.  (I echo eyeswideopen)

When this thread was first started I looked up on google how long it takes for a body to decompose, and there is so many variables, that at the very end of the article it said that there was no real true answer for that question!

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
GSAR_Mbr:
I wrote a long explanation of why I thought the way I thought but it disappeared. I don't think I was offensive. Maybe, just a glitch.
Anyway, I am told there is a front page story in the Telegraph Journal, today. It is an interview with the family of Kimberley Amero re how it feels to have a family member missing. Unfortunately, I haven't read it. I can't buy the paper and now you have to pay to read any of it online.