Author Topic: Hamilton Police have made some progress in a case from 2002  (Read 5824 times)

Whistle

• We will be judged by the way we treat our children
    • View Profile
Hamilton Police have made some progress in a case from 2002
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
From 900 CHML Hamilton

Police make arrest in connection with 2002 murder
Jay McQueen
4/5/2012

The killer remains on the loose, but, an arrest has been made in connection with a murder dating back nearly a decade.

Ronald Crawford -- who was 42 at the time -- was stabbed to death inside a sub shop on Concession Street in August 2002 after coming to the aid of the owner during a robbery.

Detective Sergeant Matt Kavanagh says the suspect fled in a waiting vehicle and the alleged driver of that vehicle is now in police custody.

40-year-old Jason Fraser of Hamilton has been charged with accessory after the fact to murder and robbery.

He was picked up yesterday afternoon at the City Motor Hotel -- where he's believed to have lived for about a year with his girlfriend, 41-year-old Kim Ruttan.

The two are also facing drug trafficking charges.

Two other men inside the motel room at the time of the arrests have also been charged with possession of cocaine.

Kavanagh wouldn't comment on the murder himself but says he believes someone out there knows something.

The suspect -- at the time of the crime in 2002 -- was white, 25-40 years old, 5'10"-6'0" and about 170 pounds.

The arrests are the result of a review of case files and new information from the public.

If I can find more background for this crime I will post. If my search wasn't thorough enough and a link already exists for this case please let me know.

Thx Whistle

Whistle

• View Profile
Re: Hamilton Police have made some progress in a case from 2002
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »
Below is the link to an article in the Hamilton Spectator. It gives some background about this case. The script is posted below as well.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/699680--police-make-arrest-in-10-year-old-homicide

Ron Crawford died trying to defend friend from thie

Whistle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
  This a a similar article and script found in Hamiltonnews.com

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/suspect-in-2002-concession-street-homide-arrested/

malloryknox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
Matt kavanagh is an amazing homicide detective. He gets stuff done. Let justice be served!

Whistle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
The family, friends and this mountain community deserve as much.

goNgo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this, Whistle!  Much appreciated!

I hope they finally find the murderer.

AllApologies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
Hey,

Not sure if this could be anything, but while bored at work today I was looking at the Hamilton Police site of unsolved murders.  I came across the Ronald Crawford one and noticed the accomplice was arrested back in 2012 but the main suspect hasn't been identified.  I googled the guys name and saw he had a Facebook profile and noticed he is 'Friends', with Anthony 'Tony' Divers who was recently shot and killed by police and after reading a few articles on Divers I noticed he did time for manslaughter for killing someone with a knife back in 2002, the same year Crawford was stabbed and killed.  Not sure if it's just a coincidence or not.