Author Topic: Victoria "Tori" Stafford - 8 - Murdered April 8, 2009 Woodstock, On - Part 2  (Read 111881 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Finally.....

Jury selection begins in Tori Stafford murder trial in London, Ont.
February 27, 2012
By Allison Jones, The Canadian Press

LONDON, Ont. - Potential jurors in the trial of a man accused of killing an eight-year-old girl are being screened today in London, Ont., for a trial that could last into June.

Michael Rafferty, 31, is charged with first-degree murder, sexual assault causing bodily harm and kidnapping in the death of Victoria Stafford.

Tori disappeared while on her way home from school in Woodstock, Ont., on April 8, 2009, and her body was found three months later.

Terri-Lynne McClintic, now 21, has already been convicted of first-degree murder in the girl's death.

The first group of 119 people called for jury duty appeared before Superior Court Judge Thomas Heeney this morning and 85 people were excused for various reasons such as financial hardship or medical issues.

Thirty-four people have been asked to return on Wednesday for the next stage of jury selection in which lawyers will ask them questions, and more juror screening continues this afternoon and tomorrow.

A total of 1,375 people have been summoned for jury duty this week and next, and they could end up serving on the Rafferty trial or any other criminal or civil jury trial starting during that period.

Rafferty's trial was moved from Woodstock to nearby London in light of publicity surrounding the girl's death.

His lawyer, Dirk Derstine, suggested outside court that people should keep an open mind.

"I expect that the evidence to be called will be different than what everybody is perhaps expecting," he said.

The trial is also expected to draw extensive media coverage, so Heeney has set some ground rules. Reporters can use devices such as laptops or smartphones but won't be allowed to transmit from the courtroom.

However, a satellite courtroom will be set up for the trial, from which reporters will be allowed to electronically transmit information.

Members of the public won't be permitted to use personal electronic devices in either courtroom.

During the trial, which is expected to last three months though Heeney told potential jurors it may last into June, the jury is set to visit the site where Tori's body was found.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/jury-selection-begins-tori-stafford-murder-trial-london-090007954.html

click to enlarge

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/29/michael-thomas-rafferty-pleads-not-guilty-at-tori-stafford-trial/

Can you "believe this?"/jb

Michael Thomas Rafferty pleads not guilty at Tori Stafford trial

capeheart

• View Profile
They have to treat this bastard with kid gloves, because surely they cannot do anything to disrespect this murderer. It makes me sick, but I know what goes on in these cases and they just have to go by the book. It is repulsive to everyone what these people did. I cannot believe that he is pleading NG. I expected he would change his plea to guilty. I still believe this guy is going to change his plea at some point. I just feel when all the material starts to come out from the prosecution, he will not be able to take the heat. I don't know if there is a news blackout on this trial or not.  :o :o :o :o

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile

I wonder if Rafferty would have knowledge/details of McClintic's trial...???

capeheart

• View Profile
Mom, really she didn't have a trial. She went into the court and they pled her Guilty of FDM. She took the sentence and that was the end of it. The court would have given the particulars of what happened and that would be her day in court. But in this trial, it is different. He has pleaded NG and there will be a jury and all the evidence will be given by witnesses on the stand. McClintic did not have a trial as such, but a kind of quick trial because she pleaded Guilty. This will be a couple of months listenting to evidence and the jury will have to absorb everything and then they come to a verdict. It certainly will be an ordeal for everyone, the Judge included. These people will have nightmares after listening to this horrible crime against an angel like Tori. I will pray for them as they listen to all of this and know that they will make the right decision when the total story is heard. It will be very difficult when the family members have to sit through this trial and the pain will be much worse then what they have already gone through. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile

I should have called it her "proceeding".  I know she didn't have a TRIAL.

And so... I wonder if Rafferty would have knowledge or details of what information McClintic has given Police.  I wonder if she can be called in as a witness?

capeheart

• View Profile
In my thoughts, I believe she will be a star witness. I think she will be testifying against him. Oh, he would know everything, because she pleaded guilty and all of the facts he knew them already. He wouldn't really know what her statement was, because he wouldn't see it. But his lawyer would have access to particulars. He may not know some of the things she said. But she didn't save her ass, she is serving a life sentence.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

jellybean

• View Profile
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/02/the-tori-stafford-sagaNine women and three men will determine the innocence or guilt of Michael Thomas Rafferty beginning Monday, March 5, 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does that mean his trial will begin on Monday?  (I think it does - the wording is confusing) jb

cinnamonsticks

• View Profile
 :'( :'( Peter Mansbridge from CBC news told a lawyer on TV he recieved emails from the Canadian public saying "you know what CBC! The Tori Stafford murder happened two years ago. We don't want to hear about it anymore!".

I was shocked and saddened that people would feel that way. Peter M told CBC viewers they can flip the remote control to a comedy show.Nobody is forcing the Victoria Stafford trial down the publics throat. He is correct.

capeheart

• View Profile
I would be willing to believe that is something Rafferty has orchestrated from his jail cell. Possibly family member or friends of his, sickos like himself. There is not one good citizen in Canada that does not want to hear about this trial and what is happening. We certainly do want to hear what is being done about this bastard. Who in the hell would make that comment. I cannot believe Mansbridge even repeated the messages. This is off the wall. I definitely want to hear what is going on.  And yes, the trial will begin tomorrow, Monday. And that is the start of March break, so most young children will be on vacation and sunning themselves. I definitely want to hear the progress of what is happening here.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
Cape, I am sure the Toronto Star,  or some other news media will cover it.

Society lacks patience with news. - any news including murders.  So many people read about it, initially and then it is on to the next thing.  If it isn't located on Facebook or twitter - may as well forget it.  At times the public has an attention span of a Newt.

JB

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
I am amazed that he has the gull to plead not Guilty, considering his girl friend confessed and plead guilty , and if I am not mistaken lead the police to her body.  And he thinks he will get away with it truly mind boggoling JMO

D1

• View Profile
Is there a news feed or some sort of live update site for the trial? Anyone in the vicinity attending? Sounds like the national news isn't going to provide much info til the end.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
I truly hope some one gets this guy before he gets back to Jail.
http://live.citynews.ca/Event/Francis_DSouza_and_Cynthia_Mulligan_are_live_in_London_Ont