Author Topic: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975  (Read 25356 times)


  • Member
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »
Thank you, Eyeswideopen.


  • Member
  • Posts: 272
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 01:42:10 PM »
Status: Missing Person, COLD CASE

Name: WEDGE, Michelle Lise
Alias: Unknown
Age: 7.5 Yrs Old
Area of Disappearance: Dominion Street, Moncton NB
Location Last Seen: Area of John & Dominion Street - Moncton NB
Height: 122cm
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Light Brown
Eye Color: Brown

Tattoos: N/A
Location of Tattoo :
Writing with Tattoo :
Piercings: Unknown

Clothing Description:
Pants: Navy Blue Shorts
Shirt: Red and White T-Shirt
Footwear: Navy Blue Sandals
Jacket:  N/A
Sweater: N/A
Headwear: N/A

Additional Information:
On July 2, 1975 7 1/2 year old Michelle Wedge of Dominion Street in Moncton left her residence at approximately 8:30 p.m. on her bicycle. Witnesses reported that she was last seen riding her bicycle in the area of John and Dominion Street in Moncton. She has not been seen or heard of since. Her bicycle was found late that evening on the southwest corner of John and Dominion Streets. At the time of her disappearance she was wearing navy blue shorts, navy blue knee length socks, navy blue sandals and a red and white T-shirt. Michelle Lise Wedge was described as being: 4' tall (122 cms), brown eyes, slender/thin, light/fair complexion and light brown hair.

Police Contact Number:
Anyone with information on the disappearance of Michelle Lise Wedge is asked to contact the Codiac Regional RCMP, Major Crime Section at (506) 857-2403 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).



  • Member
  • Posts: 3534
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
I think I remember this case, not sure. I do remember a child missing from N.B. quite some time ago, I guess this is the case. Maybe they should do a re-enactment on W5 or something about this. It is very strange that this case was not solved. :( :( :( :( :( :(


  • Member
  • Posts: 272
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Historical News Article - The Times - transcript; Moncton Published January 22nd 2000

Like many summer days in Moncton, Wednesday, July 2, 1975 was notable for its weather -- it was hot, with temperatures hovering above the 27 C (80.6 F) mark, and the lack of a breeze made it humid enough to seem much warmer.

Dusk arrived that night at precisely 9:13 p.m., according to the records. By 9:43 p.m. it was dark.

In a quiet, residential neighborhood not far from the city centre, a young girl was doing what many young girls do on such evenings, riding her bike up and down the street, enjoying the fact that she was up so late. Her parents had gone out for the evening. She had been left in the care of her older siblings, and even though nighttime was approaching, she was still free to play.

And then, sometime between dusk and dark, Michelle Lise Wedge, aged 7 , disappeared.

It has been 25 years since that fateful night, but little Michelle has never been seen since. No trace of her has ever been found. Her disappearance still ranks as one of the oldest, unsolved cases in the city's history.

The story of the little Wedge girl began that evening when her parents, Rachel and Clarence, left to go out at about 6 p.m. Michelle had five siblings -- three sisters, Simone, Denise and Monique, and two brothers, David and Pierre.

Monique was working at a local store that evening, so brother Pierre, in his late teens, was tasked with baby-sitting his younger sister. There is no mention in police reports of the whereabouts of her other brother, David. Pierre, however, had a couple of friends over for a while at the Wedge residence at 185 Dominion St. It wasn't until Monique arrived home from work sometime after 9 p.m. that anyone realized Michelle was not still playing in the yard.

A frantic search of the neighborhood and a nearby park that Michelle had frequented on other occasions turned up nothing. Calls to the residences of her friends were equally as futile. But those efforts had taken time to pursue. It wasn't until 11:30 p.m. that her parents were called, urging them to come home immediately, that Michelle could not be found.

The call to police to report her as a missing person went through at 11:59 p.m. Det. Jack D. Colburne of the Moncton Police Force took that call and filed the first report. In the 25 years that have since passed, that report has been joined by dozens of others. The file, still active and now once again being worked on by police, fills boxes.

Colburne's report described Michelle as being four feet tall, of fair complexion with brown eyes, dirty blonde shoulder-length hair, and good teeth. She was born on Dec. 1, 1967. At the time of her disappearance she was wearing shorts, stockings and size three sandals, all navy blue in color. She wore a red and white checkered T-shirt.

As soon as the call came in, search parties were organized. The disappearance of a child from a quiet, residential street caught the city's attention and sympathy. More than 250 civilians and 80 police officers, many of them volunteering during their free time, swept the neighborhood in a massive search. Her father's co-workers from the nearby CN Shops were among those who assisted through the night.

Reports the youngster may have locked herself in an abandoned refrigerator in the area were checked, re-checked, and finally ruled out. At one point a rumour spread that she had been discovered in a car in the rear of McKay's Dairy on Elmwood Drive, but that, too, was nothing more than fiction.

But from the beginning, the case seemed to go awry despite the best efforts and intentions of the police. There were no suspects and few leads.

Initial interviews with friends and neighbors determined that Michelle had last been seen at around 9:10 p.m. -- about 40 minutes after her brother recalled having heard her exiting the house to play outside. Someone had seen her riding her Mustang-style bicycle north on Dominion Street, near the intersection with John Street, just a few houses away from her home. Another individual reported seeing the same thing at about the same time. Still another seemed to recall seeing a young girl getting into a car at that corner that night.

"The dogmaster was called out, a general search was conducted in the area of her home," Colburne wrote in his report that night. "Her bicycle was found by her brother, Pierre, on the boulevard at the southwest corner of Dominion Street at John Street."

Little else had been seen by anyone, it seemed. At least, that's the way it looked until the next day, when at about 3:15 p.m. a 20-year-old girl arrived at the police station and claimed that not only had a man twice tried to pick her up while she was walking on city streets, but that she had seen the same man talking with and giving candy to Michelle on Dominion Street the night before.

By then Michelle had been missing for about 18 hours, and police felt the tip could be the break they needed. The girl gave police a description of the car: dark green in color, possibly a small Datsun or Cortina. The girl's 14-year-old sister, who had apparently been with the older witness, corroborated her story. A composite sketch was created by a police artist and distributed to other police forces and to the media.

The hunt began for a man described as in his mid- to late-20s, dark complexion, thick black hair and eyebrows, wearing a thin mustache and a beard, a two-inch scar on his right cheek, and who talked with a high-pitched voice and walked with a slight limp.

The report of the unidentified man in the dark green car prompted two things. For one thing, the search was extended on July 4 to include not just the rest of the city, but the surrounding countryside. All roads leading out of the city were searched, as were the grounds on either side of the roads to a range of 100 yards, extending several miles out. Helicopters and aircraft were brought in; gravel pits, dumpsites, the CN yards and other areas were combed. In all, some 600 square miles of territory were covered.

The search resulted in the discovery of more than two dozen articles of clothing including socks, T-shirts, underwear and shorts. None of them matched Michelle's. No trace was found.

Rewards were also offered. The Moncton Shops Local Confederation and Craft Unions and Supervisors' Association offered a $600 reward for information leading to the finding, arrest, and conviction of the abductor. The Canadian National War Veterans offered $200 for information regarding the girl or her abductor. The employees of the CN Shops, where Michelle's father worked as a boilermaker, offered $127 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any persons involved in the abduction. And a local man who wished to remain anonymous offered $50 for information leading to the finding of the girl.

There was, meanwhile, a second apparent eyewitness report. A couple walking on Mountain Road said they recalled seeing someone matching Michelle's description on the night she disappeared. They had first seen her on a park bench at the corner of Cameron Street and Mountain Road.

In his report filed at 6:15 p.m. on Thursday, July 3, 1975, Const. E. A. Allain also wrote this: "As they were walking west on Mountain Road, they saw this little girl again in a small green car heading west on Mountain Road."

It appeared that pieces were falling into place. And over the next couple of weeks, as many as a dozen men matching the description given by the two sisters were questioned by police. Lie detector tests were given, alibis checked.

No one was arrested. No charges were laid. The trail appeared to be growing cold, but police held onto that description, hoping someone would come forward who had seen the man, or the dark green car. At one point a teenage suspect was interrogated twice, and subjected to polygraph tests on both occasions. He, too, was eventually cleared. The small, green car he owned was examined and found clean.

And then the bottom fell out of the efforts. Information obtained by police led them to realize the reports of the two girls were false. Police suddenly realized they had been seeking a phantom suspect. It had been a month since Michelle had gone missing.

There is no indication why the two would have misled police. They did not live close to Michelle's home, and there appears to be no explanation of why they would have been in the Dominion Street area that night -- or why they would say they were if in fact they were not.

What was clear is that the case was beginning to stall. Anyone considered a suspect by that point -- friends, relatives, neighbors, men matching the description now known to be false, and dozens of people known to police who were in the city and who were known to have been involved in crimes such as sexual assaults in the past -- had been questioned and released.

In the months, and then years that followed, police came no closer to solving the case. Every so often information would come in that suggested this or that person might have some knowledge of what happened to little Michelle.

In 1982 a rumour swept the city that a high-ranking and well-known Moncton man had confessed on his death bed to having struck Michelle with his car that night and disposed of the body to protect himself. There were reports he included the information in his will. To protect his honour, that man's name is not used here. Police thoroughly investigated the rumour, tracing it to its source. There was no truth to it.

In 1987, police hoped a break would come after Child Find New Brunswick assisted in the release of "age composite drawings" of Michelle. With the assistance of the Toronto Metro Police Force, computer-generated examples of what Michelle might have looked like at the ages of 12 and 18 were produced and printed in various newspapers. That effort failed to crack the case, as did another effort in which investigators questioned a psychic in Quebec after police there reported the woman claimed to have seen the child.

Michelle's father has since died; her mother is still living, hoping for closure.

Const. Gary Clements is in charge of what the Codiac RCMP call their "cold files" -- cases that remain active but unsolved. Clements has reviewed the entire Wedge file, among others.

"We're still working on this case," he said in a recent interview. "There are still avenues in this investigation that are still being proceeded with."

Residents with knowledge of this or any other crime can provide information to the Codiac Regional RCMP by calling 857-2490, or calling Crime Stoppers at 1- 800-222-8477.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:02:25 PM by GSAR_Mbr »


  • Member
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 03:22:31 AM »
The disappearance of Michelle Wedge: Case still unsolved 44 years later

7-year-old Moncton girl disappeared near her home on July 2, 1975

CBC News ยท Posted: Jul 02, 2019 7:50 PM AT | Last Updated: 8 hours ago

Michelle Wedge disappeared from a Moncton street corner on July 2, 1975. (RCMP)

The grainy photo shows a laughing little girl with bangs sweeping across her forehead.

Seven-and-a-half-year-old Michelle Wedge had been riding her bike near her home on Moncton's Dominion Street.

It was a summer evening, July 2, 1975. A time when kids roamed much more freely than they do today, going home only when the streetlights came on.

The grey bicycle with its blue and cream-coloured seat were found at the corner of John and Dominion streets. The little girl was gone.

    Someone, somewhere knows what happened.
    - RCMP Const. Isabelle Beaulieu

Although it's been 44 years since since she disappeared, the RCMP believe it's a case that can still be solved.

Const. Isabelle Beaulieu says the case is considered a missing person case, but "because we think that one or other persons may have been involved in her disappearance, we treat that as a criminal investigation."

While the information that led police to believe there was criminal activity involved in Wedge's disappearance can't be made public, the officer said they believe somebody was involved in what happened to her.

Michelle's bicycle was found on the southwest corner of John and Dominion street. She was last seen in the area on July 2, 1975. (RCMP)

Beaulieu said the last new information received in the case was seven years ago, and even though so much time has passed since the little girl disappeared, the case remains open.

She confirmed the information and tips last received were investigated and followed up on, but Wedge was not found and no one was arrested in connection with her disappearance.

"The tip did not lead to anything that could lead to her discovery," said Beaulieu.
No detail too small

While it can seem maudlin to mark tragic anniversaries like a young girl's disappearance, when a case is unresolved sometimes talking about it brings new information to light. 

"The investigations are never closed, but on an anniversary date we like to bring it out to the public again just in case, said Beaulieu. "We need tips and information from the public. We do believe someone, somewhere knows what happened."

Police say Wedge was wearing a red and white T-shirt on that July night, blue shorts, blue socks and navy blue sandals. At the time she was four feet tall, with brown eyes and light brown hair.

"If someone somewhere thinks of something, please contact the RCMP or Crimestoppers."

Beaulieu said investigators want to solve the case, for the sake of everyone affected.

"We want to provide answers to the family and some closure. We also want to bring those responsible to justice."

With files from Information Morning Moncton


  • Member
  • Posts: 643
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
It is unfortunate that so much crucial time was lost in the beginning due to the false witness statements.  I suspect the girls were probably just looking for attention but I wonder if any consideration was given to the possibility that they may also have been hoping to divert suspicion from another individual.  With the benefit of hindsight there almost seems to be just a little too much detail in the description they provided.  While it would certainly be helpful to receive that much information, I wonder exactly how often it really occurs.

I do recall the rumour that was circulating regarding the driver who  claimed to have hit Michelle with his vehicle.  I think at the time I probably didn't place much credence in it but since then, with old age and cynicism, I might not be so sure.   Despite what police may or may not have said, I don't entirely rule it out.  There can be any number of reasons for a cover up and if the driver's family was well-placed, who can say?  The bicycle would not appear to have been hit or damaged, however.

I am glad to see this case back in the public eye again.  It's probably almost too much to hope for after so many years but perhaps her remaining family members will finally be able to obtain some answers.  Very tragic and sad story.