Author Topic: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975  (Read 23771 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Wedge, Michelle : Missing Person

On July 2, 1975 7 1/2 year old Michelle Wedge of Dominion Street in Moncton left her residence at approximately 8:30 p.m. on her bicycle. Witnesses reported that she was last seen riding her bicycle in the area of John and Dominion Street in Moncton. She has not been seen or heard of since. Her bicycle was found late that evening on the southwest corner of John and Dominion Streets. At the time of her disappearance she was wearing navy blue shorts, navy blue knee length socks, navy blue sandals and a red and white T-shirt. Michelle Lise Wedge was described as being: 4' tall (122 cms), brown eyes, slender/thin, light/fair complexion and light brown hair.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Michelle Lise Wedge is asked to contact the Codiac Regional RCMP, Major Crime Section at (506) 857-2403 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/prog_services/unsolved_crimes-crimes_non_resolus/index-eng.htm

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
Re: Michelle Wedge | 7 | Missing | Moncton | July 2, 1975
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
I'm glad to see Michelle is here. Thanks. I didn't know how to post myself.
I have never been able to find much about her-no FB groups no family remembering her. Very sad. I have to wonder if the same guy who took little Shirley Millberry in Saint John in /71 or /72 might have been involved.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
No age progression photo for this one?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »
I found a bit more info on Michelle at this  link  .    http://doenetwork.bravepages.com/1120dfnb.html

and an age progression.

Sleuth

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
It was a hot summer day in Moncton, N.B. on July 2, 1975. Michelle Wedge was a happy and athletic 7-year-old girl. Like most children her age, Michelle spent the day playing with friends and riding her bicycle.

That night, Michelle left her house on her bike and did not return back home. As it started getting dark, family members, neighbours and friends started looking for Michelle. They found her bike close to her house but Michelle was nowhere to be found.

It has been 37 years since Michelle was last seen. She would be 44 years old today.

If you have any information on Michelle's disappearance or whereabouts, please call Cst. Gary Clements of the RCMP J-Division at 506-857-2438 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

http://news.ca.msn.com/missing-children-nine-canadian-cases#image=10

BCID

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
One of the bits of info on the Doe Network is different. The age I read in media said the man seen with the girl was in his late 30's.

And I can't remember how the Doe classification system works but the police in 1975 said, after the search was called off, that they are treating this case as an "abduction".

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
Thank you, Fridgiebear.  I often think of the Michelle Wedge case.  I believe there are many similarities between her disappearance and the Shirley Milberry case in Saint John.  In Shirley's case, which I believe happened previously to Michelle's by a year or so (I may stand to be corrected on that), her body was eventually found, however.  One has to wonder if they were targetted and killed by someone they knew or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when some weirdo was passing through.

There is a small thread devoted to Shirley on this site as well.  Hopefully, neither will ever be forgotten.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »
@ Fridgiebear: I don't know about that particular neighbourhood but back then the streets were full of kids in lots of places after dark. For us it was the absolute best time to play hide and go seek. When I was kid, we frequently went outside after breakfast and didn't show up again until lunch or supper. Pretty common.
IIRC little Shirley went missing in June 1971. I seem to remember parents walking groups of kids to school after that. Her body was found several miles from where she lived.
Although a midway is an interesting theory for both, if I'm right there was unlikely something like that going on in Saint John at that time. The Ex happened in Aug. From time to time, there was a small fair that set up on Fairville Blvd./Golden Mile. Just a few rides. I don't know if that would have been there at that time but it would be some distance from Shirley's home.
To my knowledge Shirley and Michelle were the only small children who vanished in NB or even in the Atlantic Provinces. Did the perp move on, be arrested or die? You would think there would be more than two.
I didn't even know about Michelle until a couple of years ago. We were in a neighbouring province at the time and I didn't hear a word about it.

jimsteeves

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
I think about this case once in a while.  I was born in Moncton in 1967 and spent the first few years of my life living on Dominion Street and, not that I remember, playing with Michelle.  My older brother and sister remember her and my parents were friends with her parents.  I'm still so surprised they never found her, or her remains, or kidnapper.  You just don't picture things like this happening in small cities like Moncton. 

I'd have to ask my parents what the neighbourhood was actually like back then, but I know we used to play out on the sidewalks with other kids.  From whenever I can remember, Dominion Street has been kind of a bad neighbourhood.  Drugs, hookers, low income, etc...

I hope and pray, that someone will come along with some details to put this case to rest and let Michelle's spirit rest.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
If a young girl was seen getting into a car willingly at that intersection and assuming it was Michelle, it sounds to me like she was abducted by someone known to her. Such as a friend of the family tells her to get into the car and he's going to drive her to go meet her parents. It was not unusual at all in those days for young kids to play until dark without adult supervision.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
This is what the RCMP have on their site....
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/prog_services/unsolved_crimes-crimes_non_resolus/index-eng.htm

Wedge, Michelle : Missing Person

On July 2, 1975 7 1/2 year old Michelle Wedge of Dominion Street in Moncton left her residence at approximately 8:30 p.m. on her bicycle. Witnesses reported that she was last seen riding her bicycle in the area of John and Dominion Street in Moncton. She has not been seen or heard of since. Her bicycle was found late that evening on the southwest corner of John and Dominion Streets. At the time of her disappearance she was wearing navy blue shorts, navy blue knee length socks, navy blue sandals and a red and white T-shirt. Michelle Lise Wedge was described as being: 4' tall (122 cms), brown eyes, slender/thin, light/fair complexion and light brown hair.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Michelle Lise Wedge is asked to contact the Codiac Regional RCMP, Major Crime Section at (506) 857-2403 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
Could someone please tell me where to find Shirley Millberry's case? I did a search but it only led me here. TIA

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
Hi Dulsebunny

The correct spelling is "Milberry".  Just one "l" but I don't believe Shirley's case is listed on this site.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Thank you, Ruby Rose.
I was going by a comment by Fridgiebear. Perhaps, my problem was the spelling.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
Dulse the thread for Shirley is titled "seeking information" and it is on this site
under that title .