Author Topic: Quaqauluk family - Hall Beach, Baffin Island - 1945 - MISSING  (Read 6630 times)

BCID

In 1945, an Inuit family returning by dogsled to Hall Beach from Cape Dorset vanished. Their sled was discovered, but no bodies were ever found. At the time, people in the community believed a Russian or German plane abducted the family and that they were alive in Russia.

In 2004, Rankin Inlet North MLA Tagak Curley, on behalf of the missing couple's child, called on the Nunavut legislative assembly to launch an investigation into the disappearance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdn_mysteries/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2007/...ry.html?ref=rss

MLA calls for inquiry into family's disappearance in 1945
Last Updated: Thursday, March 15, 2007 | 2:22 PM CT
CBC News
The alleged abduction of an Inuit family from Baffin Island more than 60 years ago has led a Nunavut MLA to call for a formal inquiry.

Five members of the Quaqauluk family disappeared from the Hall Beach area in the spring of 1945. Their family members believe they were taken away by a foreign airplane, because ski tracks from an aircraft were found in the area at the time.

Rankin Inlet North MLA Tagak Curley has requested an inquiry, but Premier Paul Okalik said Wednesday he would not commit to one, since the Nunavut government did not exist at the time of the alleged abduction and therefore was not a party to the incident. But he did say he spoke with federal Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay about the issue by telephone Wednesday.

"We committed to working together and trying to find a way to get to the bottom of this," he said. "It's an international matter, so I'll be passing on all the good work that the department [of Culture, Language, Elders and Youth] has done to the foreign affairs minister, who will then look into the matter for us."

Okalik said he wants to assist the remaining family members, but the best way to help would be to work with the federal government using the information Nunavut has already gathered.

The remaining Quaqauluk family members include Ruth Siakuluk, who is now in her 80s. A newly married teenager in the spring of 1945, Siakuluk said she was not with her parents and their three other children on a trip from Cape Dorset to Hall Beach. The five never arrived at Hall Beach. Their disappearance has sparked questions during the past 62 years over who took them, where they went, and why. Curley has been raising the issue in the legislature since 2004.

Louis Tapardjuk, Nunavut's minister of culture, language, elders and youth, had said on Monday that his department is researching the incident. He has spoken with RCMP officers who were stationed in the area at the time and searched the National Archives for information.

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
Re: Quaqauluk family - Hall Beach, Baffin Island - 1945 - MISSING
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
Any information of what ever became of them? The links are broken.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
Why do we have to pay for an inquiry?  That was 60 years ago. Yes, it is sad that this family vanished - is it possible that they were caught up on floating ice or met with some other tragic accident?  Just because there were tracks of ski's (landing of aircraft), does not mean to say that this had anything to do with their disappearance.  This could be coincidence.  What would be gained by swooping down and abducting this family?  For what purposes?

Guess, I'm not understanding why an inquiry now at this late date.
If there is a poster who is familiar with this tragedy and why an inquiry, it would be helpful if it could be better explained than the news article. "Half the battle is Understanding"

Is this part of The Truth Commission?

http://www.qtcommission.com/actions/GetPage.php?pageId=16&communityId=9#Early Contact Experiences and Trading

quote:

Snapshot of Hall Beach circa 1950 (This is circa 1950 - this family went missing in 1945)

The present site of Hall Beach was uninhabited in 1950, although the Iglulingmiut were known to have travelled through the area regularly on hunting trips. The closest camps to the current settlement were located near Perry and Foster bays. The 20th century settlement patterns of Iglulingmiut have been well documented by explorers and more recently by anthropologists (Damas, 1963). Between 1920 and 1940 there was a significant increase in the population of Northern Foxe Basin. This likely resulted from migrations from other parts of the Arctic.

jb

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:40:58 PM by jellybean »

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
I thought it looked like this family had been murdered from someone in the community and they made up a bogus story to deflect attention.  I wonder how easy it would have been to have them killed and then drowned.  If the water was about to freeze over, there would be no evidence anymore.  Or, with the plane theory, it could have been whoever landed there killed them.  For what reason, of course, we wouldn't know but I am not thinking an abduction.

SAP

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »
The trail will be ice cold now unless there are relatives who have information as to ages, pictures that may indicate if they were integrated somewhere else in the north. Why wasn't there an investigation back in 1945?

This sort of reminds me of a true story regarding a man who was of Inuit and French ancestry who was married and had children. They were living nomadic in the north following the caribou and other wild game. Although he had French ancestry he followed the way of the north. Somehow he became separated from his camp when the ice broke and he ended up in Uranium City northern Sask. He tried to find his people and could not. He ended up in a tiny hamlet (northern Alberta) that had once thrived, leaving only a few houses without electricity where a few people lived. I'm not sure how he worked b/c he didn't have ID papers until the late 90's. His age became a guess b/c he didn't know the year he was born, just approximate. Last I saw of him, there was someone helping him apply for what he needed to have for Old age security, etc. He had been receiving some sort of monthly stipend and living poorly as he was very generous and a young aboriginal girl from the area took most of his money and headed for the city but she would visit him once a month when his chegue was due. I really hope the people helping him were able to locate his family eventually b/c he was not well and appeared to be already in his late 60's or early 70's.
I'm thinking there are more such cases where families were ripped apart during the nomadic lifestyle of following wild game for survival.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
This story has many possibilities, it was the end of WWII , airfields and posts were partially built and used during the war in these islands. Many were abandoned, there was no homes or village in Hall Beach, but it had abandoned building materials that some were pilfering to build homes in the near by area. Home were not built in Hall Beach for many years later than 1945, only 15 homes by 1965. Some where built from the left over steel. So it makes you ask, why a family trip to Hall Beach? If they did not make it to HB where was the sled found, how far from Cape Dorset to HB? Did they find the dogs? How was the sled found? Empty of supplies? Dogs untied?

Big fear of Russia invading via the North Atlantic was high, I understand why the family and community feel they were taken, possibly as hostages. These are people who lived in a culture of hunting and tracking, and no remains of any kind found, no trails to water? To come to the assumption they have I think they have reason to believe, with the airplane tracks observed in the snow, they would also know the sled path in relation, and any footprints still moulded in the snow, they would be able to read more of the story. But to vanish, no clothing, and I assume no supplies would indicate someone took them.

If it were a German or Russian plane as they think, they could have needed the supplies and family to guide them out of the area? Maybe they came upon the plane already landed and they were loading the airplane with US abandoned equipment to learn the technology they were planning to use?

I think there is much to be learned from an inquiry, and as a tax payer I see no difference in spending our money on this missing family as we say we will for any family of missing loved ones. If other cases on here today are not solved in 60 years I still hope the next generation will care what happened to their family member and want to know the answers and truth. And if any of this family were to be found alive, living in another country, the surviving sibling has the right like anyone else to be reunited.

They did not have a police force nor formal government in 1945, thus no real investigation was done.

Logical

SAP

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
The articles claims they were 'returning' to Hall Beach which is at the mouth of Foxe Basin and then Hudson's Bay. If there was nothing there at the time, they could have been on their way to a fishing expedition as well. Polar bears are largely prevalent in the area and always have been.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
Yes I read one article stating that but all other reports and from the daughter who did not go on the trip as she was recently married, stated they were going from Cape Dorset to Hall Beach and they never made it to Hall Beach at all. The time was very rough economically as well, ivory was a big item and fox furs, fox furs became less profitable and no longer provided a living by this time.

As we know today media can get things mixed up, I am sure getting details of the missing family shared in this time and geography was very difficult and done by telex messaging type of technology, similar to today's texting, so cryptic messages are sent and interpreted. But without a police force or government who do you tell? Who helps, who was supposed to care?

We still do not know much, like how do you know they did not make it to HB?,
why were they going?
 How long were they gone before considered missing?
Were they in good standing with the community?
Where did they search and for how long?
Did anyone see foreign airplanes in the air?
why would an airplane land in between CD and HB?
What supplies were they carrying?
 What happened to Supplies and Dog?
If attacked by polar bears would you find evidence? Where are the clothing, blood?
Yes they could have Been taken out into the water, but without the sled? Why leave the sled?
Why stop the sled? And then leave the sled?
How many days travel is CD to HB? Did they see any camp sites along the way?
Would the family have any reason to disappear? And not tell the daughter left behind?
Was the sled damaged?

Logical

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
The links on this thread are broken. Can anyone provide a link to a news source regarding this story.

July

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
here is the current link to the 2007 story in the original post calling for an inquiry.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/mla-calls-for-inquiry-into-family-s-disappearance-in-1945-1.651229

jtmtpleasant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »
Awesome thank you.

The article is dated 2007, apparently the inquiry was denied.

I have certainly have a lot of questions about this mysterious disappearance of an entire Indigenous family. Many questions remain as there have been no trace or leads into their disappearance.

But thanks for posting this, there's not a whole lot of information or articles done on this which is baffling since the disappearance involved an entire family.