Author Topic: Joan Keebler - Kemano, B.C. (unconfirmed)  (Read 5050 times)

BCID

Joan Keebler - Kemano, B.C. (unconfirmed)
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:45 AM »
I'm waiting until research is done.

Joan Keebler (26)

Mother of a two-year-old child.

Found in an old creek bed beside a lonley road a few miles from Kemano on Friday morning, May 13, 1955.

She was lying face down in the sand and there were bruises on her head. Her feet were cut and her shoes were missing. Police at the time had found no trace of them. 

A preliminary autopsy in Vancouver (where the body was flown) had so far failed to reveal a cause of death.

Joan was dressed in slacks and a green corduroy jacket. Her clothing did not appear to be disturbed and the only signs of violence were the bruises.

Joan Keebler left her home Thursday afternoon after telling her family she was going to the store to buy groceries. She was seen at the store but it is believed she did not buy anything.

Officers involved:

Inspector W.M. Taylor - Prince Rupert RCMP
Coroner's pathologist Dr. T. R. Harmon - Vancouver Coroner's Office

SAP

Re: Joan Keebler - Kemano, B.C. (unconfirmed)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
Nothing further on this case ... so likely not foul play?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Only thing I could find was a short snip from the Friday May 20th issue of the Kitimat Ingot.

sympathy extended

The people of Kemano and Kitimat wish to convey their sincere sympathy to Mr. Les Keebler and son Carson for the loss of Mrs. Joan Kathlyn Keebler.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »
Another storey that doesn't quite make sense, (although, I only know what I have read here).  If she told her family she was going to the store to buy groceries, and she was seen at the store, then why didn't she buy groceries?  Did she just wander aimlessly through the store or did she just leave in a hurry or did she leave with someone?
 And...what happened to her footwear?  How did she get bruises on her head only, that really wouldn't be consistant with a fall, or from tumbling down an embankment,if that happened, she would have more than bruises on her head... and she was found in sand.  The bruises seem more like from being beaten about the head ..or hitting yourself on the head.
How did she get to the "lonely road"...did she have a vehicle?
If she didn't have a vehicle and she was found a few miles outside of town, did she walk that far, or was she taken there?  I wonder if they found any tire tracks, footprints.  They must have determined how she got there, no?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »
All good questions Jobo.  My interest in this story is that I actually lived in Kemano for 6 years and I never heard of this womans demise until reading it here, but back then I wasn't interested in this type of thing either.  Lots of strange things happened in my time there and a few deaths.  Very small town 300 approx so everyone knew everyone's business.  If she walked on the road out of town, someone would have seen her as they passed.   I asked a few older residents about it, but only got a few rumorsabout what may have gone on.  Unless someone comes on here who knew Joan, we may never know what happened.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Found this while searching on google and the description says the death was cleared up. Looking through the old newspaper of PG I could not find an article though.

May 30, 1955 - Prince George Digitization | PG Newspapers
pgnewspapers.pgpl.ca/.../-/Prince%20George%20Citizen%20-%20May%...
... Sections) " P""ce George, B.C., MONDAY, [ily Asks B.C. To Pay Half ibuiance ..... May-30, 1955) Mystery Death Solved KEMANO�A crudely scrawled suicide ... appeared to have cleared up the mysterious death here of Mrs. Joan Keeblcr, 26. ... since Mrs. Keebler's body was found on o sandbar beside the Kemano River,