Author Topic: 'Speed Freak Killers': More Bodies Found At Northern California Ranch  (Read 3152 times)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/speed-freak-killers-victims_n_1272408.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

I never heard of this guy but wow what a monster! Wesley Shermantine. He and childhood friend Loren Herzog became known as the "Speed Freak Killers" for a methamphetamine-fueled killing spree that claimed as many as 15 victims from the 1980s until their arrests in 1999.

Shermantine was convicted of four murders and sentenced to death.

Herzog was convicted of three murders and sentenced to 77 years to life in prison, though that was later reduced to 14 years. An appeals court tossed his first-degree murder convictions after ruling his confession was illegally obtained.

Herzog was paroled in 2010 to a trailer outside the High Desert State Prison in Susanville. He committed suicide outside that trailer last month after Sacramento, Calif., bounty hunter Leonard Padilla told him Shermantine was disclosing the location of the well along with two other locations.

A piece of a human skull and bones found Saturday at the ranch will be sent to the Department of Justice in the hopes of identifying them through DNA testing, Garcia said. Dental records identified remains found Thursday in Calaveras County as those of 25-year-old Cyndi Vanderheiden, who disappeared in 1988.

Another set of remains was found Friday in the same area, and the parents of a missing 16-year-old girl have said authorities told them that Shermantine said their daughter was buried in that spot decades ago.

Crews are expected to be searching the ranch in Linden for several days, at what Garcia has said would be a "slow and tedious" pace. The property, about 60 miles south of Sacramento, was once owned by Shermantine's family.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: 'Speed Freak Killers': More Bodies Found At Northern California Ranch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
Thing is horrid.  Wonder how they got away with it for so long.  Justice can never truly be served for this but hope there is some closure for some people at the least.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
How could this Herzog be convicted of 77 years and he is now out of prison. Give me a break, what in the hell does that mean. They give those guys all of these years and their out to murder again, OMG, I pity anyone living next door to him. If this guy is let out, they should have to live next door to the parole board or the judge that let them out of prison.  :o :o :o :o :o

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Herzog was paroled in 2010 to a trailer outside the High Desert State Prison in Susanville. He committed suicide outside that trailer last month after Sacramento, Calif., bounty hunter Leonard Padilla told him Shermantine was disclosing the location of the well along with two other locations.

He won't be living next door to anyone, cape. He committed suicide.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Leonard Padilla sure gets around.  ;)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
Leonard Padilla and his friend are paying $33,000 out of their own pockets for the Map info which will provide some measure of closure to the families of the murdered.
I personally think having closure and the truth is priceless.
Padilla has said he will not make any money out of this, he is doing this because HE can.
If memory serves me correctly wasn't Clifford Olsen paid for info the Canadian cases he was involved in as well?
Sometimes closure does come with a price tag unfortunately.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
If memory serves me correctly wasn't Clifford Olsen paid for info the Canadian cases he was involved in as well?
Sometimes closure does come with a price tag unfortunately.

Clifford Olson was paid $100,000.00 to lead the police to the bodies of eleven children. He made a deal of ten thousand dollars for each body, and the eleventh would be free.

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
"map prepared by death row inmate Wesley Shermantine"

Is he being paid for the map?
Just wondering where the reference to Clifford Olson came in.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
It is shocking that one of the killers was paroled for no good reason. Then he committed suicide. Was it real or did someone do him in and it was made out to look like a suicide?? It is rare for two men to collaborate on serial killing like this.

The use of speed or uppers by the killers is noteworthy maybe. In the Jason Staples case (see my link under wives and loved ones of serial killers and sex offenders), his wife also believed that the use of some kind of speed like drug is what triggered the violent sexual assault by someone whose violence had been dormant for over a decade since committing a murder in his teens.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
I think that some people can be affected by drugs to the point they become severely violent. Drugs like alcohol,cocaine,speed,and meth can make a person violent.
I honestly believe some people have committed murder, but never would have had he/she not been wasted on some drug.  It is like the drug opened up an animal part of the brain...That Staples guy sounds like a good example of how I think it is.  That is no excuse for hurting/killing someone, though.