Author Topic: Outrageous Judges!  (Read 11429 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Outrageous Judges!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:20 AM »
http://www.630ched.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428763912&rem=86200&red=80176323aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

Conditional Sentence for Elderly Edmonton Man

EDMONTON - An 88-year-old Edmonton man who strangled his 85-year-old wife has been given a two-year conditional sentence.
Joao Pacheo De Almeida killed his wife, Evangelina, after a fight over changing his urostomy, an artificial opening for the urinary system.

Crown prosecutor Dave Hill says the senior's culpability was lessened by his age, dementia and physical disabilities.

Defence lawyer Brian Beresh describes the case as being one of the worst tragedies he's seen in court. (tn)

what a yellow bellied, sick disturbing punk of a weak no back boned judge.

jennyhelgren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »
The age of consent was changed in may of this year to 16 years of age.

jennyhelgren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »
I was just reading chris's post about not living in fear and trusting your intuition and he is absolutly right, we were given the gift of intuition for a reason, trust and listen to it for it will never lie to you.

Mamaraine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »
In Summerland B.C., back in 2005, a couple were killed (while sleeping in their bed) when a man (who was 3 times the legal limit with regards to blood/alcohol level) jumped a metal guard rail and slammed into their bedroom, while he was attempting to elude police. This man had a blatant disregard for human life when he took initiative to drive himself home after drinking in the pub for SEVEN hours, and get this...his sentence, handed down by a local judge, was... FIVE YEARS JAIL TIME and TWELVE YEARS DRIVING PROHIBITION??? He killed two people, this averages out to 2 & 1/2 yrs, per death, and 6 yrs driving prohibited, per human life expunged??? WTH?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
The age of consent was changed in may of this year to 16 years of age.

Wow! Hard to believe I never heard that. I guess the media does not find this to be a big deal.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »
In Summerland B.C., back in 2005, a couple were killed (while sleeping in their bed) when a man (who was 3 times the legal limit with regards to blood/alcohol level) jumped a metal guard rail and slammed into their bedroom, while he was attempting to elude police. This man had a blatant disregard for human life when he took initiative to drive himself home after drinking in the pub for SEVEN hours, and get this...his sentence, handed down by a local judge, was... FIVE YEARS JAIL TIME and TWELVE YEARS DRIVING PROHIBITION??? He killed two people, this averages out to 2 & 1/2 yrs, per death, and 6 yrs driving prohibited, per human life expunged??? WTH?

Wow 5 years? Can he get out sooner? In a lot of states, you can get 5 years just for running from the cops. Killing a person would put you away for a long time. Canada needs to reform it's judges and sentencing laws in a bad way.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:51 PM »
Didn't Michael Vick get 2.5 years for killing dogs?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
Good point Des. And since when did we switch from a justice system so social services agency. This is not about IF he will kill again, or IF there are reasons that are good enough to kill, it is the fact he killed a human and justice needs to be dispsensed.

Those excuses may be reason to shorten his sentence, but I think too many people who run the system allow personal bias and sympathies to dictate how 'justice' is applied.

2 years at home is no sentence at all. It's not like he was going to get up and go somewhere anyway.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:12 AM »
Probably. And now other old abusers are probably rubbing there chins wondering...

jennyhelgren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »
Because of my life experiences I fly to prince george every 2 months and do some work with youth care worker training them, I will be at the provincial annual forum for sexually exploited youth on Sept 23, as a guest speaker this kind of work enables me to learn very quickly about  the changes in law, I also do some work within the anti gang force there. The media definatly doesnt see many things as important not unless it's juicy enough. Changes are slowly being made, I hope to see many in my lifetime.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »
Good for you Jenny! You have turned the negative experiences in you're life into something positive. A lot of people would be so bitter that they wouldn't be able to move forward the way you have. I believe that along the way you will make a difference in other people's lives, the way only someone who has been there can. You will be instrumental in implementing much needed changes just by being there.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 12:55:38 AM »
I agree with debbiec, there are people out there who will not have to endure what you did, because of your courage. Good for you!

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 01:23:47 AM »

That's great what you are doing, Jenny! Getting things outa the damn closet.I know people who won't even discuss abuse issues.Education, is needed.Thanks for your support.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
A Position of Trust: Betrayed...

AIRDRIE -- With his wife crying inconsolably, a disgraced RCMP officer was taken into custody yesterday to begin serving an eight-month jail term.

Provincial court Judge Barb Veldhuis said neither the conditional sentence being sought by Const. Guy Armand Raes' lawyer, nor the 90 days proposed by the Crown was sufficient punishment.

Raes, 51, pleaded guilty last week to sexually assaulting an Airdrie teen he had taken under his wing.

The decorated Mountie, who will be awarded the Governor General's Star of Courage later this month for saving a couple from a fire, fondled the 17-year-old's breasts under her clothing on Feb. 13, 2007, after taking her to a secluded rural area.

Veldhuis agreed with Crown prosecutor Craig Krieger's assertion a period of time behind bars was warranted.

But the judge said a term of 90 days, which could have been served on weekends, would not have been enough to deter other cops from similar misconduct.

"When victims come forward the public expects police officers to maintain professional standards," said Veldhuis, noting Raes took advantaged of a troubled teen who first came to him for help when she was 15.

Raes befriended the girl, often having surreptitious rendezvous with her while she broke curfew, where they talked about her problems with drugs and alcohol.

But Veldhuis said after building up the girl's trust he betrayed it by fondling her during one of their early morning get-togethers.

"Const. Raes had a complete disregard for the personal integrity of a young victim," she said, in rejecting defence lawyer Willie de Wit's call for a conditional sentence to be served in the community.

"Being a father himself, being a police officer, and acting as a role model ... elevates this act to something more than a momentary lack of judgment," said Veldhuis.

"The gravity of the act and the degree of Const. Raes' culpability calls for incarceration."

When Veldhuis announced the eight-month term Raes' wife, sitting in the courtroom gallery behind him began to weep.

As the judge proceeded to add 10 months of probation to the sentence and deliver the terms, Raes got up from his seat next to de Wit and moved to his wife's side to hold and comfort her.

De Wit said he has been instructed to look into an appeal.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:32 AM »
But the judge said a term of 90 days, which could have been served on weekends, would not have been enough to deter other cops from similar misconduct

Wow, what a thing to say. But why stop at cops, why not be tough on all sex criminals. At least the judge recognizes that light sentences are an invitation to commit crimes.