Author Topic: Saskatoon's Missing Aboriginal Women  (Read 15175 times)

Desespere

Saskatoon's Missing Aboriginal Women
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:07:24 AM »
This article is from January 28, 2006. I've only posted certain parts, it is a fairly long article. There is also a very long list of missing and murdered Aboriginal women in Canada over the past 20 years.
http://www.missingpeople.net/missing_in_canada.htm

Daleen Bosse went missing May 18, 2004. She was 26 years old and is described as 5'5, 170 pounds and wears glasses. She is a member of the Onion Lake First Nation and was last seen by her family in Saskatoon.

RCMP say they cannot release the names of the 17 missing aboriginal women under their jurisdiction due to privacy reasons, but they have confirmed that Amber Redman is one of them.

The secrecy makes writer Warren Goulding frustrated.

"I don't understand why they're afraid to show that information. It just makes no sense at all," he said.

Goulding is the author of Just Another Indian, a book that candidly details the brutal murders of convicted serial killer John Martin Crawford, a man who targeted aboriginal women in Saskatoon.

The dedication to the book reads, "It is a tribute to the families they left behind. May they come to know that many Canadians share their sadness," and that expresses exactly what troubled Goulding so much about the Crawford killings -- many people didn't care.

In the 1990s, the disappearance of aboriginal women in Saskatoon was followed quickly by the discovery of their bodies just outside of town. They were Shelley Napope, Calinda Waterhen, Eva Taysup, and Mary Jane Serloin.

Crime and court reporter for the Saskatoon Star Phoenix, Goulding came upon the Crawford killings innocently.

"Initially, when the bodies of the three women in the book were found in 1994 and I, as a reporter, at that time was following the story and covered the investigation right from the first remains being found right until John Crawford was convicted."

What amazed Goulding how little attention people paid to a serial killer in their own community.

"Unlike many of the sordid characters with whom he shares the designation 'serial killer,' John Martin Crawford shuns publicity. He has staked his claim as one of the nation's most prolific sex killers with little fanfare," he writes.

"Housed in the Saskatchewan Penitentiary in Prince Albert, serving three concurrent life sentences, he is anonymous, his deeds virtually forgotten."

Crawford has been the "beneficiary of a disinterested media and an equally impassive public," charges Goulding. Fifteen years later, aboriginal women are still going missing and are still being murdered. Thinking of the recent publicity in British Columbia regarding the alleged serial killer Robert Pickton, charged with the deaths of 27 prostitutes from Vancouver's downtown eastside, and in Edmonton, where police have identified the possibility of a serial killer since the bodies of nine sex trade workers were found in the outskirts of the city, Goulding can't help but think that the situation in Saskatchewan isn't the same.

"The Saskatchewan disappearances are really different, aren't they? It's not like these are girls that are working the street or even living in a high risk area or anything," he said. "I don't know if that's part of a pattern."

According to RCMP in Saskatchewan, it's not one.

"We, the police agencies, haven't identified a trend," said media officer Cpl. Brian Jones in an interview. "To me, a trend implies that there's a connection between those. There is a similarity in that they are aboriginal and that they are female."

Trend or not, people are paying more attention to missing aboriginal women.

"I guess the only good thing about it is that we're talking about it and we care. Look at 1992 when the women disappeared in Saskatoon. Nobody even knew about it, let alone cared about it. So, that's a positive in a very sad story," said Goulding.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Saskatoon's Missing Aboriginal Women
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:17 AM »
Interesting. There was a serial killer in Saskatoon and I never heard of him before.

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
Rebecca Jean King has been located safe.   I don't have any further details /.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »
Yes, please do post that information. That would be wondeful!

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »
Hello Sue
I have heard about the walk and I wish I could have walked with them,I would do the walk twice if it would help bring justice and closer for all the missing women.Thank You for joining the board and I hope to see you here more. :-*

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »
That is terrifc news, thanks!

HaveThoughtsWillTravel

• It's a fine line between genius and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
John Martin Crawford - The Lady Killer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPN0BqmmWLc