Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Matthew Huszar missing December 16/2011  (Read 16266 times)

solvy

• View Profile
Matthew Huszar missing December 16/2011
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Tuesday Dec. 20, 2011 1:16 PM PT

Vancouver police are asking for the public's help finding 25-year-old Matthew Huszar, who hasn't been seen since leaving an office Christmas party Saturday night.

Huszar was last seen walking away from Lamplighter Public House on Water Street shortly before midnight. Police say he was heading east towards Gastown.

His family says his disappearance is completely out of character and they are worried about his safety.

Huszar is white, 5-11 tall and around 160 lbs. He has shoulder-length brown hair and brown eyes.

On Saturday evening, Huszar was wearing black dress pants, a white and blue checked shirt, black shoes and a dark green tweed three-quarter length coat with a coarse checked pattern.

If anyone sees Huszar or has any information on his whereabouts, they are asked to call 911.

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Matthew Huszar missing December 16/2011
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »
I see Mathew's route took him very close to the Railway Tracks and then the Waterfront.   They say he walked down Water St towards Gastown.   I wonder if the Cops have checked all the Box-Cars sitting in the Rail Yard.   That is where my thoughts go, unfortunately.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
LAtest report on Matt

By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Wednesday Dec. 21, 2011 6:04 PM PT

Police say the disappearance of 25-year-old Matthew Huszar after an office Christmas party Friday is a complete mystery with few clues to guide the investigation.

After a downtown Vancouver staff dinner for the mining company where Huszar was working, he and a group of coworkers moved on to the Lamplighter in Gastown, but the pub had long line and they decided to leave.

Friends said Huszar was headed home and was last seen walking east on Water Street shortly before midnight.

Vancouver Police Const. Jana McGuiness said all investigators have right now is the time, date and direction Huszar was heading and very little after that.

"There's nothing in his background to suggest that anything was wrong, it's just that he's disappeared for no explainable reason," said McGuiness.

Dozens of Huszar's friends took to Vancouver streets again Wednesday to put up posters in hopes someone has seen him.

"His parents are worried sick -- we are worried sick. We have no idea why he would take off," said close friend Devin Tompkins. "We just want to bring Matt home,"

Huszar's colleague, Joel Ashburner, also attended the mining company dinner and was one of the last people to see him after they left the pub.

"Matt said, ‘I'm taking off.' We all shook hands and wished him Merry Christmas -- we all did -- and that was it," said Ashburner. "It's not consistent with Matt to walk off and leave everybody hanging."

Police said they are working intensely to find the young man and have canvassed a large area of the Downtown Eastside and Gastown.

However, they are not releasing any specific details that they have uncovered, such as cell phone use or whether he used a cab chit supplied at the party.

If anyone sees Huszar, they are asked to call 911.

Huszar is white, 5-11 tall and around 160 lbs. He has shoulder-length brown hair and brown eyes.

On Friday evening, he was wearing black dress pants, a white and blue checked shirt, black shoes and a dark green Banana Republic tweed knee-length coat with a coarse checked pattern.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Lisa Rossington

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
Mathew Huszar is pictured below. Police are asking anyone who sees him to call 911.

click to enlarge
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:06:26 PM by debbiec »

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »
TY for the pic Deb

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »

YW  :)

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
Jobo I understand where your thoughts are going, only mine go a few feet further and it is the inlet.

That said I think I will go home and pick up my metal detector and then take a walk along some shorelines, after I take a walk in the downtown core area.  I used to work for about 10 - 15 years  about 4 blocks away from where he disappeared. Can't hurt to walk the area. I'll post it if I find anything.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »
Stephanie, Isn't this area quite populated at 11;30 at night?  Lots of bars and good eating places. Unless he was accosted by someone because he was alone and perhaps an easy target.  I hope not, he looks like a very nice young man and I hope he is safe.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
Missing Vancouver man Matthew Huszar’s family clinging to hope

By ANDY IVENS, The Province December 27, 2011 1:06 PM

The mother of Matthew Huszar is holding on to hope that someone will be able to help police find the handsome young geologist, missing for the past 11 days.

“We’ve all got our hopes up that something will turn up that will give police something to go on and find out what happened,” Danny Huszar told The Province on Tuesday morning.

Matthew, 25, went missing around midnight Dec. 16. He attended his company Christmas party and went with a group of friends to the Lamplighter pub on the corner of Water and Abbott streets in Gastown.

“There was a long lineup there, so the group decided they were going to go elsewhere and he decided he was going to leave,” Danny Huszar said from her home on Vancouver Island.

“He said his goodbyes and headed [east on Water], and that’s the last anyone has seen of him.”

Everything in Matthew’s life was pointing up, so his disappearance is baffling.

Huszar graduated with honours from the University of B.C. last summer and landed a great job with a Vancouver mining company.

He recently bought an old, 50-foot sailboat and was planning to restore it over a number of years. Moored in Victoria, it is his home whenever he goes to the Island to visit his parents.

His girlfriend, whom he met at UBC, was scheduled to arrive in Vancouver on Tuesday night from her home in Colorado, and together they were working on a plan for a ski holiday in the backcountry, said Danny.

“We’ve racked our brains and there is no reason that we can think of that he would voluntarily disappear on his own like that,” she said.

“He’s got a very good circle of friends. They have been working so hard to scare up anyone who saw anything that night.”

Danny said she feels “very frustrated and totally helpless.”

“We haven’t heard any news yet, nothing at all,” she said.

“Police have been following up any leads that they have gotten and there haven’t been anything at all — no concrete sighting of Matthew or anything at all.

“They have been working diligently, and I have been in touch with them on a regular basis.

“They are really stumped, as well, as to why they are not receiving any concrete leads that they can follow up,” she said.

“We’ve had so many people say to us: ‘What can we do? What can we do?’” her voice cracking with emotion.

“We’re appealing to the public, maybe somebody who has been away at Christmastime, if there’s anybody who can recall seeing him that night, or after that night to please contact police [at 911],” said Huszar.

Matthew is described as five-foot-11, 160 pounds, with shoulder-length brown hair and brown eyes. On the night of Dec. 16, he was wearing a white-and-blue checked shirt, black dress pants, black shoes and a dark-green tweed coat.

Anyone who has seen him is asked to call 911.

aivens@theprovince.com

twitter.com/theprovince

http://www.iammissing.ca/Missing%20Details-Sept-11.html#Matthew_Huszar

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
Stephanie, did you get a chance to get down to the city core for a look around?  Do you know if police have been looking around the tracks and water down there?  I was hoping he would turn up by now, things don't look good at all for him.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
I think it would be helpful for the public to have more information. We are told that the last anyone saw of Mathew he was heading east on Water Street (my own foolish mistake, it was east and not west as I wrote before). Well, where was it that he was heading? Did he not have a car to head to or was he walking home or walking to the bus stop to head home? Or was he in the habit of trying to flag a cab down late at night? 

Okay this is important info below from a news article:

He was living with a friend in an apartment near Commercial Drive while he spent two months in the city doing office work for Pretium.

He was at a Christmas party with some colleagues in Gastown and was noticed texting someone just before he disappeared.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Missing+racking+brain+figure+vanished+after+Christmas+party/5893459/story.html#ixzz1ivaogLxT

http://vpdreleases.icontext.com/2011/12/20/missing-person-matthew-huszar/

The fact that he was seen texting someone MAY be significant if none of his friends received a text after midnight. Then it means whoever Matthew was texting may have led to his disappearance. For example if he was meeting with a new friend no one else knew? Is it possible for cell phone companies to find a record of a text message sent from a certain number if the phone itself is lost?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:13:15 PM by leonagleant »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

youtube video about Matthew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWqBCSjDGZw

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Matthew's friend mentions that Mathew was happy with his new boat.   I wonder if that boat is kept near where Matthew was last seen.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
No, the boat is on Vancouver Island and Matthew went missing in Vancouver (on the mainland). He apparently never made it home to his east Vancouver home and subsequently never made it home to where his parents live on the Island for Christmas vacation. I find it odd that no one recalls seeing such a man in Gastown after midnight. There would be people on the streets coming from bars and you think someone would recall something but maybe we just don't look very closely at people as they pass us by on the streets anymore. Also the kinds of people in that neck of the wood apart from young people at bars would be down and out folks who might have mental health and addiction problems and not be the most likely to come forward with information as witnesses.

Doreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:20 AM »
Mathew Huszar's disappearance is very difficult for me to process mentally. Like him I am a geologist and UBC graduate - that is a relatively small group of people and I know that if I ask around, I will find that several fellow geologists in my circle of acquaintance will know Mathew in person.
Naturally the VPD cannot report on their methods in an ongoing investigation. I am assuming they would have tried to use the GPS chip in his cell phone to find him, would have used downtown street cameras to track him, would have questioned the bouncers of clubs, the cab drivers on shift for Vancouver Taxi, Yellow Cab, Bonnie's Taxi and Blacktop. Likely they would have canvassed the homeless that dwell in the entrance ways of storefronts at night ...
December 16 - being a Friday night would have been very busy in Gastown - so Mathew should have been seen by many.
It is impossible to not know about Mathew being missing. Mathew's friends have done and extremely thorough job canvassing all of Vancouver with posters with his image. No skytrain station is without his image.
So why can Mathews path home not be tracked.
If he was staying in an apartment on Commercial Drive and seeing how very difficult in can be to get a taxi on a Friday night in Vancouver ..., he was likely heading towards Main Street. Perhaps he thought he might have a better chance of at a  taxi there?
He was clearly not trying to go by Skytrain, which is still running until about 1:30am on a Friday night. If he was thinking of going by Skytrain, Mathew would have headed west and not east on Waterstreet. West would have taken him to Waterfront Station and a Skytrain was still running.
Gastown - while a great entertainment quarter - is not a great place to be walking in alone late at night or even very early in the morning. The Lamplighter's Pub is less than 600 meters from the Hastings & Main intersection - and that is not smart place to be alone late at night.
Incidentally I have an acquaintance who was mugged in Gastown early in the morning (~5am) as she waited for her place of work to open.
If Mathew was walking East on on Water Street, then he was walking towards the Downtown Eastside.
Apparently he was carrying cash. There is footage of him at an ATM.
I wish all the best to Mathew's family. Sadly since Mathew was not troubled, had no drug problems, no depression and no mental illness, the fact that he has now been missing for more than 3 weeks does note bode well for his family. The conclusion is so sad and very matter of fact. The Vancouver downtown and especially the parts that border the Downtown Eastside are not safe to navigate for a lone person - regardless of gender or age. Do not walk Vancouver's downtown alone late at night.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here