Author Topic: ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE POVERTY, DEC. 2011.  (Read 44735 times)

D1

• View Profile
Re: ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE POVERTY, DEC. 2011.
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
The conversation has come around full circle from ATTAWAPISKAT itself. Spense incited this discussion and placed her own community into the public eye as a near archetypal image of all that is wrong with our native reserve system. She herself portrays and reinforces the stereotypical image of the constant native whining for more free money while gobs of unaccounted millions just keep going astray. She reinforces our disgust and the need for change to stop the endless cycle of throwing hard earned tax dollars down into that black hole.. 

Not everything is so simple or as black and white as all that might suggest.. More progressive modern natives with thoughts unencumbered by such a life as that Spence forces upon her own people are speaking out. They are well meaning educated people and offer insights and perspectives far different than that Spense left us with. The divisions are becoming obvious, the camps are being defined for the coming battle.

As is now showing up more and more, natives themselves note the economic situation on reserves can be cured by the people themselves monetizing their own lands and partaking of the profits of their natural resources. The economic lever has its backers, amongst them, big goverment and big oil..

The opposition once spoke of what was unfolding but it grows quieter now in Spence's wake.

Nathan Cullen-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtVTLgGV2QE

Published on Oct 18, 2012
Nathan Cullen, NDP House Leader reacts to the new budget implementation bill: "it's been a continual Christmas morning for the pipeline industry...it's frustrating because they are rigging the entire process in order to just fast track pipelines with as little public scrutiny and environmental protections as possible."SGNews.ca, Oct. 18, 2012

Going back in history a bit before operation Spence-

Then, invoking the spectre of a country decimated by land claims, he argued the only sensible native policy was outright assimilationhttp://thewalrus.ca/the-man-behind-stephen-harper/].
http://thewalrus.ca/the-man-behind-stephen-harper/[/url]

Spence has fullfilled her purpose and role. IMO That is also why she will not be held accountable. We are being led to an inevitable conclusion..
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/1741805410001

"Operation" Spense- there are parallels, the past repeats? ..

On August 14, 1994 Bill Dunphy reported in the Toronto Sun that the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) has been giving money to Grant Bristow since the late 1980s. Brislow, the former intelligence chief and co-director of security for the Heritage Front, allegedly used this money to finance the organization's campaign of hatred. Dunphy's story also alleged that Bristow directed a Heritage Front harassment campaign to incite violence between the Front and anti-racists. This programme apparently involved illegal access to the answering machines and voice mailboxes of anti-racists.

The following week produced equally stunning revelations and allegations. The Globe and Mail reported that Bristow, who resigned from the Front two months before Dunphy's story, received between $50,000 and $60,000 annually from CSIS. Gerry Lincoln, the editor of Up Front, confirmed that Bristow gave start-up money to the Heritage Front. In fact, the total amount of money given to Bristow could be in excess of $300,000.

Lincoln also said that Bristow, who joined the Nationalist Party in 1989, helped found the Heritage Front in 1989; the suggested timing of the alleged early payments corroborates this fact. It appears that Bristow was hired by CSIS to infiltrate the Canadian far-right. A Winnipeg Free Press editorial on August 19 noted the irony of CSIS creating an enemy only to destroy it. The Heritage Front hotline boasted in August 1994 that "CSIS created something that can't be stopped. White Canada should be grateful." Gary Schipper called Bristow a "tremendous asset to the organization.

from- http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/orgs/canadian/league-for-human-rights/heritage-front/csis.html

Csis has also been accused of alleged involvement with Seik bombing of Air India.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2003/05/31/airindia_030531.html

Bob Ray presided over the air india inquiry as well negotiated the end to Spence's skit.

Csis activity and agent spotting has become well known on some internet discussion boards. A joke to some, deadly business to others.
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=176960.0

Why no action at the ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE? Is someone/ some faction/ inciting discontent?  Are solutions being obstructed for ulterior motive?
Beware how your perceptions were derived, all may not be as it seems here.. IMO 

csis does place its agents inside native communities.

Jim Moses was an informant for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Ontario Provincial Police in the mid-1990s, most notably during the Ipperwash Crisis. He was a member of the First Nations, living on the Six Nations reserve near Brantford.

In a 1999 press conference, Moses stated that he never found evidence that Stoney Point residents had weapons, although he said the native protestors claimed they had guns, and that he was shown shotgun shells.[1]

He claimed he was paid $400 to $800 monthly, for 2.5 years of work, and had to often push his agents for his payments.

He later claimed he resigned in protest, upset that the information was being misused by police and government agencies.[2]
The great irony is that the Canadian media got sucked into the Arar story because it relied religiously only on official sources who manipulated it into a box. The facts speak for themselves
http://www.straight.com/democracy-and-accountability-are-illusion

According to wikepedia.. csis has but 4 known agents, and 6 informants..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSIS

Here is another view of what is to come of all this and why offered by another native son- A necessary read imo.

Oil execs son perspective..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3VynNZQaQ

The battle for your hearts and minds is in full swing, Enbridge is visiting towns all over BC now telling the people that the majority of BC er's support the pipeline project that will run through many northern native lands. Economic incentives are being dangled in front the crowds. When asked why all 31 speakers in the latest town discussion were against the pipeline and where the supporters were, no answer..

To be continued in real live time...

http://www.chbcnews.ca/kelowna+protest+at+enbridge+hearings/6442797206/story.html

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:31:54 PM by D1 »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
This topic is closed in order for me to read over.

Thanks,
Debbie

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
This has gone way off topic. Time to get back to it.

Attawapiskat audit cost taxpayers $411Khttp://ca.news.yahoo.com/attawapiskat-audit-cost-taxpayers-411k-180939125.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »
Chief is no victim
Theresa Spence's claim of 'witch hunt' rings hollow

Calgary Herald January 26, 2013

There are probably thousands of towns across Canada with a population of roughly 1,500 people or less. That fact might be something that Attawapiskat's Chief Theresa Spence should think about, now that she's ended her liquid diet after 44 days.

Spence has not dropped her demands that Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Gen. David Johnston meet with her, even though she and many chiefs went AWOL the last time. She now has support for such a meeting from other chiefs and from opposition parties in the federal government, who know perfectly well that the Governor General's role is non-political, and who should stop wasting their time insisting Johnston step outside that role. Even big city mayors don't get to demand such meetings and have them, never mind those from other small towns in Canada.

Spence is also still standing firm on her pronouncement that the Deloitte and Touche audit about her band's finances was a "witch hunt." Last Sunday, Spence told CTV News that she told the federal department of Aboriginal Affairs back in the fall, that her band agreed to comply with recommendations in that audit, but on the condition, "We don't want you to use this against us. We want to have a better working relationship."

Earth to Spence. It is not up to politicians to cut deals with anyone, be it a federal department, or auditors, to hide financial reports that are unflattering. Not from the public in Attawapiskat, or taxpayers in the rest of the country who have largely financed that remote northern Ontario reserve.

Spence is not the victim of a witch hunt; Canadians are the victims of a double-standard as regards Spence. As one Alberta blogger pointed out, Rob Ford was put on the accountability rack by his own city council colleagues and by an Ontario judge for making the mistake of raising money for a sports charity, but using city hall stationery to do it.

That was a minor infraction - Ford derived no personal benefit - and yet Toronto liberals went wild with the hope that the conservative-leaning Ford could be brought down.

In contrast, there is no question Spence was at the centre of what was happening at Attawapiskat. The Deloitte and Touche audit covers the period from April 2005 to November 2011.

According to Attawapiskat financial statements, Spence served on band council from mid-2007 to the present. She did so in various capacities, including as deputy chief, and finally, chief. So Spence was present during two-thirds of the time the audit covers. That audit noted 80 per cent of the required documentation to support cheques cut by the band were incomplete, questionable, or did not exist at all.

Spence is not a victim of anything. The rest of us are: of her poor governance of Attawapiskat and her attempts to divert attention from just how badly that reserve has been run. As she begins eating a regular diet again, she should spend her time pondering that sobering thought.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Editorial+Chief+victim/7876378/story.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
This thread is now open for posting. Please stay on topic.

Thanks,
Debbie

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »
I'm loving the comparison that has been made between Spence and Ford. The entire media establishment was falling all over themselves to indict Ford without trial and yet they flocked to Spence and held her up as some sort of demi God. Ford, used to being in the not so flattering light of the media was able to handle it when things got rough(er). Spence, when faced with questions she did not like turned on the media and barred them from the reserve where she is an elected representative, and from where she was on her diet.

I knew for a facts that folks like Ezra Levant were going to take a sarcastic approach to dissecting Spence's story, it's their stock in trade. But when you have the CBC (Evan Solomon aside) re-reporting their stories and digging deeper it tells me she's fallen out of favour because no one likes being made to look like a fool.

Re: the 400K spent to audit her books: I know that number will raise a lot of eyebrows, but let's remember that Spence refused help with the books by way of an appointed manager (yes, at $1000/day, which I find completely plausible under certain conditions). Anyway, 400K. Big number. But when it's auditing the books on 100 million I don't think it's all that bad. Besides which, if anyone here has ever dealt with an accountant, it's more time consuming thus more expensive to do the books for someone who is in shambles vice someone who has everything tied together and easily trackable. So I do not have one iota of an issue with the 400K.

Lastly, the thing that really upset me about the Rob Ford debacle is that it appeared to be a tool used by someone who did not like Mr. Ford as a way to challenge his election. Sort of a, ''you wait, you SOB, you will screw up and I will be waiting for it'' And they chose, as the article points out, the grand gaffe of him using city hall letterhead to raise money for something he received no personal gain for. Where it relates to Spence is that we have oodles and oodles of evidence telling us to dig deeper into her and her books yet some of the same folks who were calling for Ford's head are playing apologist for Spence.

Nish

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
Suffice it to say that all media puts their own slant on things and leave it at that.

According to documents obtained under Access to Information, the final bill for the audit came to $411,015.62. That includes about $35,000 for travel to the remote northern Ontario reserve.

$35,000 for travel to the reserve. Is this one trip in and out?

From Nish:
Anyway, 400K. Big number. But when it's auditing the books on 100 million I don't think it's all that bad. Besides which, if anyone here has ever dealt with an accountant, it's more time consuming thus more expensive to do the books for someone who is in shambles vice someone who has everything tied together and easily trackable.

It doesn't appear there was much for them to look at.

The audit found that of the 505 transactions reviewed, more than 400 lacked proper documentation.

Their findings:
A letter sent by Deloitte to Attawapiskat chief Theresa Spence in August said there is "no evidence of due diligence on the part of Attawapiskat of funding provided by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada for housing projects and Health Canada for health-related projects."

The report went on to recommend stricter enforcement measures, more eligibility requirements and more reviews of the First Nation's record keeping.

I really have to wonder if there will be any accountability for any of this at all.

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
Of course they might not have had much to look at. Forensic audits, however, would not just go like this:

"Where is the tracking for this"

"I don't know"

"Okay, guess we're done"

35 K for travel? If it nails someone to the wall (if they are guilty), then it's a small price to pay. If it stops the mismanagement of funds thereby ending the "crisis" then it's a small price to pay. If it shows others who might be dipping their fingers into the kitty that they'd better stop frigging around, then it's a small price to pay. I look at it like this: 400K investment on a return of over 100 million.

I've traveled in the north. In fact, book a flight to anywhere other than major centres and see what you come up with. It gets even more insane when you start going into the bush and we have no clue how many trips this involved. I flew to Greenland in the last couple of years and it was about 5K per round trip. It adds up fast. That said, I am not focused on the cost, I'm more concerned with the results.

Lastly, will there be accountability? Dunno. That's going to take someone making unpopular decisions (in the eyes of some) and others playing along with said unpopular decisions.

Nish
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:03:43 AM by Nish »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
This is a long read, but interesting. Honestly, it makes me shake my head....

Jonathan Kay: Attawapiskat protestors hurting First Nations with lawless blockade of De Beers minehttp://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/02/21/jonathan-kay-natives-hurting-themselves-with-lawless-blockade-of-de-beers-mine/

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
Cops ignoring the court's orders? Smells like something called contempt.

Charge. Them. All.

Nish

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »

A bit of explanation for Chief Spence's latest action.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/25/latest-stunt-from-spence-a-total-waste

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
Thanks for posting Have Faith.

I've read the article at the link. Unbelievable.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
I have also read the article.  Chief Spence is doing a great disservice to her people, and to reserves in general re: unaccountability for funds allocated to her reserve, etc.

The thing that perplexes me is why the silence from other Chief's across our country?
Why is she not "de-throned" "de-chiefed" kicked out of her post along with  her cronies on this reserve??

On the one hand, she did bring to the public's attention, the horrific living conditions on this reserve, however, it appears that her mismanagement had a lot to do with it.  Didn't she realize that this would be discovered?  Did she think that she would be immune to public scrutiny, and a federal audit?

My concern is that she will be "held up to the public" as an example of a typical native chief, and hereon in we will ignore the conditions of our natives.

This should be of a grave concern to the main Native organizations that are negotiating with our federal and provincial governments for positive changes.

If we are looking for an excuse or a reason to ignore them, then Theresa Spence would have to carry much of the blame.
jb

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
Because the Left would rather have us blame Harper. Spence, et al, tee off on that and the Hate Harper

SAP

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
Lol re: journalism.