Author Topic: ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE POVERTY, DEC. 2011.  (Read 45012 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE POVERTY, DEC. 2011.
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
This is a very upsetting circumstance for the people of this reserve. The people are between a rock and a hard place. The Chief is denying mismanagement of money and does not want a third party to be involved in the finances of the reserve. I am willing to bet there is a great deal of mismanagement gone on here and fraud. I would be willing to bet this Chief is shaking in her shoes right now. I am appalled at the thought that 90M was given to that reserve and the conditions that now exist. Someone should be going to jail for a long time for this. I am sure with all of that money that was given that everyone on that reserve could have been relocated to another area and gave them all new homes. This is a disgrace to Canada. I am not blaming anyone but the person who had access to that 90M for starving and placing their own people in poverty. Whether this Chief wants it or not, she is not going to have any say. She has put her people in a very grave situation. God bless all of them, I feel so sorry for them, we cannot even imagine it.

On the news today there has been $300,000.00 donated to the people of Attawapiskat and every cent is being spent on warm clothing and heaters and warm sleeping bags and blankets. Nobody should have to live in that condition, not in this country. I mean we hear it all the time about money being sent to countries who are in a disaster, well this is a disaster right in our own country, which never should have happened. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the native people in that community. Their Chief should be removed from her position immediately and she should have no authority whatsoever to handle any money. Those are my thoughts, I'd like to hear from anyone who can make me think any different. This is a disaster and has gone on way too long. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ATTAWAPISKAT NATIVE RESERVE POVERTY, DEC. 2011.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
Their Chief should be removed from her position immediately and she should have no authority whatsoever to handle any money. Those are my thoughts, I'd like to hear from anyone who can make me think any different. This is a disaster and has gone on way too long.       

I totally agree cape. I have been following this on the news. I feel that the person responsible for placing the people, children included, in this situation, is the chief. Those poor people are living in deplorable conditions and poverty. I am curious as to her own living conditions. I would be willing to bet that she has indoor plumbing and running water in her home! Apparently trucks arrived there yesterday carrying toilets. heaters and other supplies that will make life a little easier. They were saying that a number of mobile homes are to be brought in.

This is an atrocious misuse of the chiefs position. I hope she is removed immediately and charged accordingly.

SAP

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
I must have missed something. I was waiting for more when he was finished talking. Where did the 96M go if not for the housing and other needs?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
This is for consideration; Further hardships for the natives to face!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attawapiskat_First_Nation#Cost_of_living

Cost of living

M. Koostachin & Sons (1976), a locally owned store
The cost of living in Attawapiskat is quite high, due to the expense of shipping goods to the community.

Local stores include the Northern Store and M. Koostachin & Sons (1976). More than a third of the residents occasionally place orders for perishables and other goods (except alcohol) which are shipped in via aircraft from Timmins, and for which the residents make prepayments with money orders. When their orders arrive, the residents have to pick them up at the local airport. For example, 6 apples and 4 small bottles of juice cost $23.50 (2011-12-01).

The price of gasoline is considerably higher than the provincial average. When the fuel is shipped via winter road, the prices of gasoline and propane tend to drop slightly.

It costs $250,000 to build a house in Attawapiskat and only the federal government can build houses on the reserve.[21] The cost of renovating one condemned house is $50,000-$100,000.[22] A majority of the community members have updated their heating needs, while many households still use dry firewood. Firewood in Attawapiskat costs $150 and $200 a cord, and a cord will heat a winter-bound tent for only a week, or at most 10 days. [23]

[edit] Economy and employment

Economic and employment opportunities are limited to work within the community, mainly service sector or for the local band council. There are only a handful of businesses in the town.
 De Beers Victor Mine
 Kataquapit's Inn - family run hotel housing DeBeers workers[24]
 Northern Store and Warehouse - retail store
 Attawapiskat Band Council
 Attawapiskat Development Corporation
 Attawapiskat Airport
 April's Coffee Shop
 Kloxplex Studios (Private)
 SIPC Development Incorporated
 DeBeers Marc Guevremont Training Centre - training staff for Victor Mine
 James Bay General Hospital
 James Bay Ambulance Service
 Attawapiskat Fire Rescue
 Attawapiskat Water Treatment Plant
 Attawapiskat Health Centre - outpatient clinic
 Vezina Secondary School
 J.R. Nakogee School - public school
 CJBA-FM - local radio station
 M. Koostachin & Sons - retail store
 Hydro One - power generation and distribution
 Bell Canada - land line services
 Canada Post - postal services
 Education Authority

From 1927 to 1960, the Catholic Church's Oblate Mission operated a sawmill.[12]

In 1901 the Hudson's Bay Company established a trading post and store in town. The Northern Store took over the operations from HBC in the 1980s.

PS/ a dozen eggs is $6.95, and a box of kleenex is $10.00.  (I would imagine a roll of toilet paper would also be about the same)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:43:25 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
And here is a link to the Fraser Institute Press Release Dece 9 - wading into the matter.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=2147484000

$11.2 million goes to salaries on this reserve.\

JB

amIam

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
I don't know whether or not to say thanks JB as I am so saddened to hear this news.
This is sickening, totally sickening news but it doesn't surprise me in the least as this is always the way.  There is never ever any accountability for funds for First Nations Peoples.  Yes, there is always a hue and cry when when their desperate plights are made public.  Oh yes, always a media uproar at the time but always fizzles out.
There is NO accountability, the Feds give funds and in this case millions and in the end it's always the same, these poor folk continue to suffer and to my mind, are truly left in the dark as to the amount of funds that are given.  Truly most are mistrustful of the government and well they should be however they believe their own peoples and in particular their Chiefs and band leaders.  For the most part these innocent peoples are cut off from the outside world of Canada.  Many are illiterate.
Such a dreadful shame that our own people of Canada have such suffering and it continues.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
These band chiefs should be placed on the federal payroll.  Paid like a swivel servant.  With yearly audits and to be held  accountable. Their rate of pay  should be placed on the grid system according to their job duties, not their position, with no bonus. Straight reasonable pay cheque every two weeks.   "That is all she wrote."

Individual band monies should be paid by cheque every month to each native on that reserve.

The fed's should have to go out for a call for bidders to contractors to build, to repair, etc, and the monies paid to the contractors by cheque from the fed's for satisfactory of completion of work done.
Shawn Ateleo (sp) would not be happy with that.

Come to think of it, why his silence?  He claims that he sees these conditions on reserves all of the time.
Suddenly he comes forth when the NDP MP from his riding, which includes this reserve stepped up and spoke of these horrible conditions.

Where was Shawn in educating the public all of this time?  What is he doing to earn his money?

And if that isn't bad enough - this is the fed's response.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/08/attawapiskats-federally-appointed-manager-will-be-paid-180000-aboriginal-affairs/

Attawapiskat will get 15 new modular homes under the new government planmaking an average of about $25,714 per month during his seven-month contract.

There is plenty of blame and greed  to go around.

JB

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:54:14 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
I promise I won't post anything more on this thread. I have hogged 3 threads on news data, and my own thoughts. Now it is time for other's to post their thoughts on this topic. I am sure many posters have great insight on this topic, and I look forward to reading their's.

JB :)
ps:  I would not be surprised if "World Vision" did not set up shop here.  Conditions are that bad for some reserves in our country. Shame - not on the residents of the reserves, but shame on the institutions that hold them captive, including some of their Chiefs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:16:22 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
It would be nice if we never ever again had to deal with these problems on the reserves, that are so deplorable.  It is too sad, and shameful to Canada...that we mostly turn a blind eye.
What I mean is that it should NOT even be an issue anymore...in this day and age.   
Why is it? 
Because I think NO ONE has an answer on what to do.   Money is one thing, but it is a bandaid solution. 

There needs to be a long-term working plan.   Where are these people supposed to be working?  Is there any trades?   I think that is the main issue....jobs.  Perhaps our natives would benefit more if they were set up to be more self sufficient.
 If eggs cost so much...have your own chickens on the reserve...if apple juice is so much....set up a business to make it....and on and on.   There is many ways to go back to living off the land.   I am not being flippant either, I am trying to come up with long term solutions/business ideas that will always be needed as long as there is people, and I used eggs and apple juice as their prices were mentioned.  Maybe even have greenhouses.  These things I listed, all need employers/employees.  Being so far up north, everything is expensive, they need to find ways to solve that issue, and that is to become more self-sufficient, so they import less and then end up with more money to put back into their community.
Your post was informative, jellybean.  Look at the outrageous prices.

I have not heard any solutions, so that is my best stab at it, keep in mind people, I am not a $25,000 a month high-priced head like Jacques...;)
Even Rex Murphy didn't have any solutions.  Mike Holmes had words to say on TV last week, let's hope he gets involved. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
All of this over pricing of items is how they gouge the poor person. The mismanagement of money on many reserves is what is happening. The chiefs feel they have the power, it is a power trip. You are not going to tell me what to do with the money, in other words. When people asked for help, they did not get it. So yes, what happened to 96M dollars. There was a person interviewed that was a native on the reserve and was on the council, he indicated that he would be happy to have the outsider get involved in the finances and what is happening. But the chief in charge now is adamant she does not want anyone looking at the books. Well I guess possibly it is because she may have had one heck of a time with the money, along with others who are close to her on that reserve. Until some serious jail time is given out for fraud and mismanagement of government funds, this will never change. She will be coming to Ottawa to answer to what is happening there. Other then that, I think that the whole community should be relocated to another area. I have no idea of how many people that are on that reserve, but I believe relocation should have been looked at. I mean if 96M was going to help, relocation I'm sure would have been the answer.

The items that were taken in recently are from $300,000.00 donated by Canadian citizens. And much more is going to happen in the near future. I do hope they are getting some comfort that they have long waited for. This is quite shameful, considering that Canada is always sending aid to other countries. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
When a chief is left in charge of the reserve and are to help their people and they don't, the people have not much choice but to take it. I mean they do not have anyone to turn to. They would not know how to get in touch with anyone to help them. The chief is their lifeline, so to say. When their person that they turn to is letting them down, they do not have any recourse. It has to be horrendous. This chief is sweating a bit, let me tell you. I could see the anxiety in her when she was standing her ground about no audit, that is because there is big time mismanagement of funds and she may end up in jail over it, quite a possibility. I do hope that there are answers soon to this dilemma. She doesn't want any help, because she knows she is in deep trouble and it will all come out in the wash. I do hope that the laws are changed to help the native people. And that any chief that mismanages money gets a maximum jail sentence of 15 years in prison or something like that. I mean that is a whole community the chief is responsible for. Something has to be done, this happens way too often. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »
There was a little run on Native TV here in Alberta, and it was established that one chief on a reserve, brought in more money annually, than our own Prime Minister.

That being said, there are many successfully run reserves, whereby the natives live within a modest environment.
These are usually reserves with natural  resources, etc, and they work. BC is one area, with their fishing (commercially) for one.
As I have said, I am not native, but have some interest in their plight.
It all depends upon the tribes, their access to resources on their lands, and good management.

The full truth of this Reserve has not come out.

I for one, will just have to wait and see.  Although, as I said, there is much blame to go around.
I am no longer sure, where all of the blame lies.

JB
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:17:35 PM by jellybean »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
I am definitely not blaming the government. I know they are giving Angus a big hard time. But the funds were there. They had them, the native community and the people in charge of the financial books for the reserve. So I think the blame is definitely on the part of the chief. I am not blaming the government at all. How are they to know what is happening. Every time the government tries to step in on anything related to natives, they act like they are some kind of God and they just don't have to take direction or instructions from anyone, especially when it comes to money. I feel that the money was given to them and it was felt that they were doing what they were supposed to do. And like Angus said, let us have a complete audit of the federal books and the native books and we will see where the blame lies. Because he knows where the blame lies, they mismanged the money and they can't squirm out of it. It's pretty hard to hide what you did with 96M dollars. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)