Author Topic: McStay Family, Sandiago California, Missing since February, 2010.  (Read 16916 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Joseph and Summer McStay and their two children Gianni and Joseph Mateo disappeared from their family home in February, 2010. All their belongings in their home and bank accounts have not been touched. Mr. McStay had his own business. His wife was into Real Estate. Their car was found a couple of blocks from the Mexican Border. They were seen on video surveillance walking towards the border. But the images were blurred on the video. There has been no contact by any of them with their family members. A great deal of investigation has gone on related to this case, but there has not been any answer to this mystery. There is a website related to this case: McStayfamily.com. I don't know how to post the link to that website. There is quite a bit of information related to the case there. Joseph's brother wants a program done to bring this case into focus, to let people know what they have and see if anyone can come forward with information. This is quite a mystery and it is now coming onto almost two years since they disappeared.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: McStay Family, Sandiago California, Missing since February, 2010.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »

Thanks for starting this topic cape. I've posted the link to the website below.

http://www.mcstayfamily.com/

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
I remember this one.  Was there not a grainy video shown of this family walking across the border - if I recall?
Also, did it not say that the water fountains etc., were shipped up to them as these products were made in Mexico/
Does anyone else recall that?

JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »
I found some of it

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001494-504083.html

McStay Family Update: Missing Family May Have Planned Mexico Disappearance, Say Police
By Carlin DeGuerin Miller Topics Daily Blotter .6 Comments
Have Your Say Email Story
Send to a FriendShare ThisTell Your FriendsTweet ThisTweet ThisMoreShare It. Del.icio.usFacebookStumbleuponNewsvineYahoo bookmarksMixxDiggRedditGoogle BookmarksTwitterLinkedIn

Gianni and Joey McStay (Family Photo)

SAN DIEGO (CBS/AP) Joseph and Summer McStay, missing since Feb. 4 along with their two children, may have planned to travel to Mexico according to the San Diego Sheriff's Department.

PICTURES: McStay Family Missing

Homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos says investigators found e-mails indicating Joseph and Summer McStay were asking about entry into Mexico, and about passport information for young children shortly before they disappeared.

Joseph and Summer McStay, along with their two boys - four-year-old Gianni and three-year-old Joey - were last seen February 4. Four days later their car was found abandoned in San Ysidro. Family members have said it was completely out of character for the family to disappear without telling anyone where they were going.

Relatives also said it was out of character for the family to leave their house the way it was found by Joseph McStay's brother, with the dogs left outside without food or water and rotting food in the kitchen.

San Diego County sheriff's investigators announced March 5 that they found surveillance video that may have captured images of the McStay family crossing the U.S.-Mexico border into Tijuana on foot Feb. 8.

Authorities say they are stumped by the disappearance of a family that had no apparent financial or marital problems and no known enemies or connections to drugs or crime.

Relatives say people would be able to identify the McStay's 4-year-old son, Joseph, because he has a raspberry-size birthmark on his forehead, he is 2'9" with brown eyes and brown hair. Joseph and Summer are described as being 5'9" and 5'5", respectively, with brown eyes and brown hair. The oldest son, Gianni, is 3' with brown eyes and brown hair.

If you have information on the case, call Sgt. Dave Martinez at 858-565-5200.

MEDIA

MORE ON CRIMESIDER
March 9, 2010 - McStay Family Update: Border Surveillance May Have Caught Family on Tape
March 3, 2010 - McStay Family of Four Still Missing, Cops Searching
February 24, 2010 - McStay Family of Four Vanishes Near Mexican Border
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000179-504083.html

March 9, 2010 12:15 PM PrintText
McStay Family Update: Border Surveillance May Have Caught Family on Tape
By Carlin DeGuerin Miller Topics Missing .Add Comment
Have Your Say Email Story
Send to a FriendShare ThisTell Your FriendsTweet ThisTweet ThisMoreShare It. Del.icio.usFacebookStumbleuponNewsvineYahoo bookmarksMixxDiggRedditGoogle BookmarksTwitterLinkedIn

McStay Family, missing since Feb. 4, 2010. (Family Photo)

SAN DIEGO (CBS/AP)

There may an important new clue in the investigation of the San Diego area family of four that disappeared over a month ago near the Mexican Border - video surveillance from the border crossing near where their car was found.

San Diego County Sheriff's Department investigators say surveillance video may have captured images of the McStay family, Joseph, his wife Summer and their two boys Gianni and Joey, crossing the U.S.-Mexico border into Tijuana on foot last month.

Joseph McStay's brother, Michael, says he went to the home on Feb. 4 to check on the family, but only found the dogs. He called authorities the next day, but investigators found no signs of a struggle.

Four days later the family car, and Isuzu Trooper was found abandoned in a San Ysidro shopping mall, a bordertown outside of San Diego.

Sgt. Roy Frank said Friday that the video was shot at the San Ysidro Port of Entry on Feb. 8, four days the family was last seen.

The tape shows a family casually strolling across the border. Investigators allowed McStay family relatives to view the surveillance tape, but they too were unable to make a positive identification.

Investigators have not released the video, saying it is part of and active investigation.

Relatives say it's out of character for the family to disappear, leaving their dogs at home and rotting food in their kitchen.

Detectives say they have found no evidence that the McStays had financial problems or were facing threats.

MEDIA

Perhaps nothing ever came of this, but they are working with the Mexican police.
This is certainly a mystery that is for sure.

JB

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
As far as I understand there has not been anything come of this investigation. The brother of Mr. McStay said he feels his brother and family are in great danger. If we remember correctly, there was another person who had a business going that was in Mexico. He had people in prison making handbags. He went to Mexico to have a business meeting. He was shot and killed after having supper in an exclusive restaurant. It is very hard to know why the family did not get in touch with any other family members. The video that was seen of the McStay family, feeling that it was supposedly them, was from a private home. This video was not from the border. Border videos were being looked at, but it was never established on their site if they had been seen crossing the border. I truly feel they would have contacted other family members if they could. :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
The relatives were shown the grainy video taken at the border crossing and they could not say with certainty that it was the family.  If they did obtain passports, surely that would have been checked out and verified.

Why would his brother feel that this family is in danger? If the adults lives were on the up and up, what would they have to fear?

Not all people from Mexico, or doing business with people in Mexico,  are abducted - least of all not  a whole family which includes little ones.

The brother knows more, or suspects more than he is saying. - re the background of the adults in this  whole family, in my opinion. Gosh, maybe they have relatives in Mexico who "behaved badly", with the cartel, and this was one way to get even and to show how far reaching they are, and by taking  an innocent family and do away with them.

Did neighbours see them leave?

I don't know Cape, if they were abducted it would have to be by gun point for sure, but why not murder them in their home.
Why take the trouble of driving them in their own car close to the border?
It would not be easy taking the family hostage across the border either.

Such a mystery and scary stuff!! They would have contacted family if they could have.

JB

JB

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Jellybean, this was not at the border crossing that this video was taken. The video was taken close to the border, but it was not at the border. They were seen walking towards the border on a camera that was on a private home, but not the border camera. :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:38 AM »
Thanks Cape, by the wording of the Sherriff, I got the impression that it was at the border.  ???  However, after re-reading it, yes, it was somewhere close to the border.  I did see that video of this "probable family" crossing the border on a television program. It sure looked like them, especially the little boy.  However, a family member would be best to judge whether it was them or not.
JB

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
I just watched the program on this case on Investigative Reports. The police do not know what happened to this family. They had recently bought this home, it was new to them. Mrs. McStay did not want to go to Mexico, even on a holiday, as was noted in the program. There was $100,000.00 in their bank accounts, which has never been accessed. There was no sign to any family members at any time that they planned to go away. McStay's mom said that if he had been in trouble about anything, he would have told her and asked for help. Also his brother and him were very close. The only thing they did see on their computer was that there was searches about travelling to Mexico. But all family members were not accepting it, because the wife did never want to travel to Mexico, for whatever reason. There was no record of the children's passports or their passports ever being activated at the border. Also birth certificates and passports of the children were left in the home. The police are totally baffled and said they have never came across a case like this before. They said it is so unusual for anyone not to access their funds. There is also no evidence of them withdrawing large sums of money before they disappeared.

This is definitely a big mystery.  I feel that something bad happened to this family, whatever happened, they definitely ran into big trouble. And many have been murdered in Mexico, for no reason. A terrible loss to the family, four people gone now for over two years and no answers up to this date. Just to update you, that is the latest on the episode I saw on TV tonite.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Just to add a note here, I wonder if because they bought this new home, could something have occurred that may have had some connection. The people that owned that home before or whatever, because apparently they had just bought that home. Just a thought. :o :o :o :o

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
so sad.  So they never crossed into to Mexico.  Sounds like this was a planned murder with some on close enough to have access to their computer to do the searches on Mexico unless they were work related.  Hardly likely they went there any way with the passports all left in the house. RIP .

Marcusdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »
from what I read this afternoon the family has recently bought a $320,000 house in Freemont Ca. They had previously lived in a rental near Sacramento and would often be late on their rent and had bill collectors constantly at their door. Yet their bank account had $100,000 in it. When they disappeared the $100,000 was left behind. Where did they get the $420,000? I think they were into more than we know. If it is correct that the fountains were constructed in Mexico perhaps drugs were smuggled inside the fountains and the dealers were not happy with the parents. So sad that the kids got caught up in this if this is what happened.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
Where did they get the $420,000? I think they were into more than we know. If it is correct that the fountains were constructed in Mexico perhaps drugs were smuggled inside the fountains and the dealers were not happy with the parents. So sad that the kids got caught up in this if this is what happened.

I too had read that they bought the water fountains, from Mexico and sold them in the USA through their business.  I also read the suggestion that drugs were smuggled in them.  I often wondered about how these fountains could continue to get clearance through the border, f that were true.
Until police learn more, I would rather not believe it.  Yet, the thought has been planted in my mind, just the same.
Someone had it in for them, that is for sure. I think they knew and trusted their killer, or they would not have brought their children with them. 
I will admit, it has the appearance of being a message sent to others. 
All four bodies were buried - so it could not have been a murder - suicide.

IT HAD BEEN BROUGHT ON ON NG'S PROGRAM, THAT THE FATHER CONTACTED AN EMPLOYEE IN APRIL, HOW CAN THAT BE WHEN THEY DISAPPEARED FEBRUARY 4TH?
Did anyone else hear that?

JB
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:12:33 AM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »
Here is another article which is more indepth  about their lives than anything I have read in the past.
\Lots of pictures.  This is a UK article, so they have a new slant and info on things. I just might take some of it with a grain of salt.  ???
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508766/Mystery-McStay-money-Family-dead-barely-afford-rent-despite-100k-bank.html

Mystery of the McStay family money: Missing couple found dead in a shallow grave with their children could 'barely afford' cheap rent months before vanishing with $100k in the bank
The McStay family were found in a shallow grave in the Californian desert last week, almost four years after they mysteriously vanished
They could barely afford to pay $210 a week on rent just months before they disappeared said a neighbor who now lives in their former home

Joseph and Summer McStay were also apparently being chased by debt collection agents, the IRS and lawyers representing business clients they owed money to
But they had $100,000 in the bank and had just bought a $230,000 family home

(The article is lengthy, so one will have to  click on link to read all of it )
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:21:33 PM by jellybean »