Author Topic: Body Washes Ashore Believed to be Montreal Woman Missing since 2006  (Read 4982 times)

Mysticmusicgurl

• Lived all over Canada
    • View Profile
As per Yahoo News December 7, 2011:

GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. - U.S. authorities believe a decomposed body that has washed ashore in western New York belongs to a Montreal woman who went missing in 2006.

The Erie County sheriff's office says the woman was wearing a wetsuit and identification papers and multiple plastic packages containing newspaper and letters were duct-taped to her body.

The body was discovered Sunday morning on the west Niagara River shoreline on Grand Island, north of Buffalo.

Authorities say the woman may have drowned while trying to illegally enter the United States from Canada by swimming across the river.

Investigators say they are withholding the name of the woman for now.

An autopsy has ruled the death a drowning.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/body-washed-ashore-ny-believed-missing-montreal-woman-230310438.html

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Re: Body Washes Ashore Believed to be Montreal Woman Missing since 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
Hmmmm this is kind of strange.  Wondering why Newspaper and other things duct taped to her body?  ID I can see but wonder the signifcance of the other stuff.   Curious if they compared the water in her lungs to the water that she was found in?

Mysticmusicgurl

• Lived all over Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
Maybe she committed suicide and wanted to be identified after death. I guess we'll here more as the story develops. I'm just happy that one family will have closure finally after 4 years.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
I think if your commiting suicide you wouldnt bother putting on a wet suit.   JMO

Mysticmusicgurl

• Lived all over Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
um yeah I never thought of it that way, but with suicide anything is possible.  :-\

Maybe a drowning? Does this news article match any of the missing women that might have been listed on this group?

Mystic

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
Maybe a drowning? Does this news article match any of the missing women that might have been listed on this group?

I could see it being a drowning if it happened the way the authorities feel it may have. They feel she may have been trying to enter the US illegally by swimming across the river. Other than that, I don't think a person would put on a wet suit and tape stuff all over their body to go for a swim.

Mysticmusicgurl

• Lived all over Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
Does she match a missing person on here?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
Any idea who this is?

GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. - U.S. authorities believe a decomposed body that has washed ashore in western New York belongs to a Montreal woman who went missing in 2006.

The Erie County sheriff's office says the woman was wearing a wetsuit and identification papers and multiple plastic packages containing newspaper and letters were duct-taped to her body.

The body was discovered Sunday morning on the west Niagara River shoreline on Grand Island, north of Buffalo.

Authorities say the woman may have drowned while trying to illegally enter the United States from Canada by swimming across the river.

Investigators say they are withholding the name of the woman for now.

An autopsy has ruled the death a drowning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/12/06/missing-montreal-woman-body-washed-ashore_n_1132748.html

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
This lady's name was never reported, or at least never given out by investigators.

Her COD was drowning. Perhaps she was trying to make it to USA and felt if she didn't make it that authorities or whomever found her, would know who she was in order to let her family know?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
It sure appears this woman was desperate enough or determined enough to pack the "bare necessities" she couldn't leave behind in order to disappear and relocate.  Unless we know her and what was going on in her life, it is impossible to figure out why she did this.  Maybe she had to; maybe she couldn't trust anybody (including authorities).  .... who knows?  She sure had a lot of guts if she did this with a clear mind.  .... although, it seems to me, if she planned to the extend of "taping her most needed possessions onto her wet suit/body", she should also have been smart enough to use additional flotation such as a life jacket.  The fact that she didn't use a canoe or dingy suggests she may have been trying to stay under water.  ... But wouldn't a person that organized plan to do it during the dark (with no moon)?  Maybe she did... maybe used something like a sail board for windsurfing? ... and got taken down in rough water ..... still !  why no life jacket?

There is a lot yet to be disclosed on this story and this woman, before drawing conclusions.... and unless, she was well known in a circle of out-going friends, we may never hear a word.  She may be the type who kept to herself.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Lost, that ends it right there, as far as discussions. :) There is absolutely nothing on the Net about her except the info above. It is very odd indeed.
Perhaps she was escaping someone brutal but then why tape all the newspaper articles to her wet suit? I would think she would have taken a change of clothes at least.

My gut feel though is that someone else did this to her. Drowned her and then stuck all the articles and ID on her as a possible warning to others ... "this is what happens when you cross me". 

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »
very good thinking and logical deduction Sap;  but what is gnawing at me is:  did she have to drastically and desperately distance herself from something dangerous?  or "get out of something" dangerous?  and are the newspaper clipping associated with what she knows or was running from?  (sort of protection for her in the form of information she is tied to or knows)   ... that is the nagging problem with this type of revelation - not a shred of relevant information - just all "ambiguous"!  ... and there is always the possibility she was originally on a boat with someone else, or others.  (ergo: your hunch - thrown into the water, bag and baggage of, only certain information - as to make a statement and/or serve as a "message/warning".

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
did she have to drastically and desperately distance herself from something dangerous?  or "get out of something" dangerous?  and are the newspaper clipping associated with what she knows or was running from?

The first part could be a possibility. Second part ... if the clippings are about whatever she knows about possible captors ... imo, would not have been done by her captors (if she was held in captivity for a time). They would want their illegal business/whatever innuendo regarding them, kept quiet and not publicized.
Authorities know her name and have not published any of the clippings. The case dropped off the face of the earth from that time on. Suicides are never publicized.
Yet as a suicide, it just doesn't make sense.

The few articles that are on the Net, comments following the article, some poster claims there are areas across the St. Lawrence that are narrower and relatively easy to get across and wondered why she chose a more difficult path. I don't know the area so I can't comprehend, however that gives me more nagging feelings she had no choice. Yet the clippings attached in plastic bags brings me right back to this all being done to her.