Author Topic: Missing/Suspicious- Scott Taylor, 23, last seen Dec. 2 at 9:30 a.m, Rothesay, NB  (Read 71999 times)

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
QUISPAMSIS - A 23-year-old man who was found not guilty of second-degree murder in 2008 has gone missing.

Scott Taylor, 23, was last seen Dec. 2 at 9:30 a.m. at his home, and seems to have disappeared without a trace.

"He's normally in close contact with family and friends an no one has heard from him," said Sgt. Craig MacDougall of the Rothesay Regional Police Force.

In December 2008, Taylor was found not guilty of second-degree murder.

Taylor was charged in the March 11, 2008 slaying of Darrell Eugene Upshaw, 33, of Cole Harbour, N.S. According to testimony from the trial, Upshaw was found in a pool of his own blood on Mecklenburg Street after fleeing from Taylor's apartment. Upshaw and two other men had burst into apartment 4 at 29 Mecklenburg in a bid to steal a bag of money that two strippers, who had befriended Taylor just days before, told the robbers was there. A youth was also in the apartment with Taylor and was found guilty of manslaughter in Upshaw's death. The youth served 11 months in jail.

During the trial, Taylor testified he chased after Upshaw with a sword and they scuffled at the bottom of the stairs of the apartment building. Taylor said he dropped the sword and Upshaw, who was carrying a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle, picked up the sword and swung it at him. Taylor said he blocked the blow with his left hand and the blade ripped through flesh, two nerves and four tendons. The wound required 68 stitches.

The two men then ran out into the darkness and the -10 C cold. In the middle of the street, the two continued to scuffle until Taylor said he retreated back into the apartment.

It was then that he saw the youth standing behind him, Taylor testified. Taylor said he didn't see what happened next to Upshaw.

The court record stated that Taylor's blood was found on the handle of the sword that was responsible for the death blow to Upshaw's skull. Upshaw's blood was also found on the blade.

Now police are asking for the public's help to find Taylor. They want to hear from anyone who knows him or might have information on where he may be.

MacDougall said it's "unlikely at this stage" that Taylor may have just went away on his own, or with friends.

Every missing persons case is different, with varying situations dictating when the case becomes more concerning, he said.

"It has nothing to do with how long they're gone. It has to do with their past history, their lifestyle, the contact they would normally have with family and friends, ties with the community and those kinds of things," he said.

"All those factors make us concerned he wasn't seen since Friday."

Members of the Rothesay Regional Police Force have been checking with relatives, friends and places where Taylor often goes, but nothing has come up.

Taylor, who lives with a roommate, was reported missing by a family member. He was last seen by a friend, MacDougall said.

He has no children. His family lives in the area.

Taylor has no known medical conditions, MacDougall said.

He is described as a white male, six-feet-one-inch tall, and weighs 179 pounds. He has short brown hair and blue eyes.

Police are concerned for his safety.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Rothesay Regional Police Force at 847-6300. They can also leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

GSAR_Mbr

capeheart

• View Profile
Well anything could have happened to Scott. I mean he seemed to be hanging around with pretty violent people in the past. What type of persons was he hanging out with now. He was free to go wherever he wished, because he was acquitted on a charge of SDM. Were there persons who would not be happy with the verdict in that case and that would be waiting for the day they could maybe harm Scott. Anyone that threatened him in the past should be checked out. This does not sound very good for Scott. And was he working at the time he disappeared? Hoping that some news comes up soon as to what has happened to Scott and that he returns safe to his family. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Cape he wasnt hanging arround with those guys it was a home invasion.  He supposedly befriended two stripper,  not all strippers are drug addicts or bad people.  I know two girl who worked there way through college and on the teachers college as dancers.  I do believe something has happened to him.  Wonder if the room mate was totally checked by the police as well as relatives of the guy convicted as well as of the guy who was killed.

RubyRose

• View Profile
There are many who believed it was Taylor and not the youth who was found guilty of manslaughter who actually committed the 2008 murder.  Neither do they believe the story about the "home invasion" although the jury seemed to buy it.

Subsequent violent actions by Mr. Taylor (in one case in particular he held a knife to a girlfriend's throat) would indicate he indeed may have had such tendencies.  If my memory serves me correctly a conviction was obtained on that one.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
I would like to post this as it may be revelant here. While many of the examples are related to gangs, apparently it still follows who one chums around with in the end. I do hope that Scott is found and is returned to his family regardless of what he has been involved in the past.

This comes from a series on crime, which has been running lately in the Edmonton Journal
I have only posted part of the article, however I have provided the link.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story_print.html?id=5808275&sponsor=

Victims, perpetrators often share lifestylesFrom a statistical perspective, age, gender, proximity, and lifestyle are the major predictors on both sides of the crime ledger, Gulayets said. Young men aged 16 to 25 are most likely to kill or be killed, especially in high crime areas.

bwittmeier@edmontonjournal.com

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:29:00 PM by jellybean »

amIam

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/12/08/nb-rothesay-missing-scott-taylor-557.html

This link is too long to post however the article contains a link to the original crime. It is posted below.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2008/12/23/nb-murder-acquittal.html

Doesn't look to promising for Scott Taylor, his car was located on a street in Saint John as with most young men of his age group he keeps in touch daily with friends and now nothing for a week.

RubyRose

• View Profile

jobo

• View Profile
It seems like some people might have a score or two to settle with Scott, due to his choices in life.  It doesn't look good for him, as some people feel they can serve 'justice' themselves, and I am afraid that is the case here.  I am sure there is more than one person involved.

RubyRose

• View Profile
I agree Jobo, and it may well have had nothing whatsoever to do with the previous murder and trial.  I believe there may also be other things in play here, too.

I do feel very sorry for his family.  They have already had very much to try and deal with and it's possible there may yet be worse to come.

amIam

RubyRose, thanks for the link to the latest news.
I would imagine the quick concern by police and search would stem for the most part on this young man's past history.
In the first post here by GSAR, the police state they are concerned for Scott's safety.
In the link you posted police state they don't believe foul play is suspected.
Seems somewhat contradictory statements by police.
I'm wondering if perhaps he has become despondent he has had his difficulties.
But yet, police found his car..and not located in the middle of nowhere.
I have no idea of the background between himself and the former g/f, however, I don't take too kindly to any man assaulting a woman regardless of the situation.
News articles state Scott Taylor as being 6 ft 1 in, 179 lbs.
One of the commenters on your link states the newspaper is wrong,
Scott Taylor is 6 ft. 3 in.
Likely the incorrect thing to say however I will; perhaps he ran into someone his own size.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
In the first post here by GSAR, the police state they are concerned for Scott's safety.

I think this statement could mean that Scott may be a danger to himself, as well.

RubyRose

• View Profile
From what I can gather amIam and debbie, I don't believe police are completely ruling out foul play but they don't believe they really have anything to indicate that, at least at this point.

He may yet turn up and be alright.

amIam

I think this statement could mean that Scott may be a danger to himself, as well.

I thought that also, though police stated Scott has no medical issues..of course I thought with this statement depression was not an issue.

amIam

From what I can gather amIam and debbie, I don't believe police are completely ruling out foul play but they don't believe they really have anything to indicate that, at least at this point.

He may yet turn up and be alright.

Ah yes, I felt the same with the police comment that anything could be possible.

Quote from the Telegraph Journal:

"More recently, Taylor had served three months, intermittently on weekends, for assaulting his former girlfriend in December of 2009.

Given Taylor's past, MacDougall wouldn't comment on any possible suspects but said "anything's possible."

He added that police would "definitely consider" Taylor's history in the missing persons file"

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/1462162

PrivateM_89

• View Profile
There are many who believed it was Taylor and not the youth who was found guilty of manslaughter who actually committed the 2008 murder.  Neither do they believe the story about the "home invasion" although the jury seemed to buy it.

Subsequent violent actions by Mr. Taylor (in one case in particular he held a knife to a girlfriend's throat) would indicate he indeed may have had such tendencies.  If my memory serves me correctly a conviction was obtained on that one.

I just wanted to say , yes he has hung out with the wrong people, but what happened that night WAS a home invasion. Men broke into his apartment with rifles to steal money that thy knew was there because of those strippers. He acted out in self defense, he was scared for his life and in not the right state of mind. And you shouldn't say things like that especially if his family and friends are reading. How ever the assault on the girlfriend yes that was not right but she was as voiltile as him if not more. Regardless maybe he hung out in the wrong crowds, but there is more to this story. Personally I don't think what happened that night anything to do with his disappearance. I hope he is returned home safe and sound!