Author Topic: INNISFAIL DISABLED WOMAN KILLED IN APARTMENT EXPLOSION- HOMICIDE  (Read 39738 times)

SAP

Re: INNISFAIL DISABLED WOMAN KILLED IN APARTMENT EXPLOSION- HOMICIDE
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/innisfail+mother+was+murdered+police/6442531723/story.html

Innisfail mother who died in explosion was murdered: police
Karyn Mulcahy, Global News : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:43 PM

Police are investigating after a 23-year-old woman was killed in an explosion inside an Innisfail;Alberta apartment.
, Global 1 Chopper
RELATED

Innisfail mourning after young mother killed by package explosion
One dead in Innisfail apartment explosion
RCMP are calling the death of young Innisfail mother a homicide.

The medical examiner has confirmed that the victim is Victoria Shachtay, 23, a young woman who was left paralyzed by a car crash.

Shachtay died on Friday, November 25th after an explosion ripped through her Innisfail townhouse complex.

Her six-year-old daughter was reportedly in school at the time of the explosion.

Another woman in the apartment at the time of the blast was not injured.

The other three apartments in the complex were evacuated at the time of the explosion, but damage was reportedly confined to one suite.

Police also cordoned off an area near the town's junior and senior high school as a precaution.

Investigators say this is a targeted murder, and they do not believe that other members of the public are at risk.

A package was delivered to the residence right before the explosion, but police are remaining tight lipped about whether or not it has been linked to the explosion.

According to a news release, members of the public are still being encouraged to be aware of any unanticipated hand-delivered packages.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
If the young mother was the target then it had to be someone who knew that she was physically able to open the package for herself.  If it was the caregiver that was the target then knowing that the mother was quadrepelegic might have made them think that she would not have been capable of opening it for herself and the caregiver would most likely be the one to open it.
imo

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
Updated: Fri Dec. 02 2011 19:26:31

CTVNews.ca Staff

The brother of disabled 23-year-old single mother, who police say was killed in a targeted bomb attack, says he has no idea who would want to harm her.

"She's done nothing, nothing that would merit something like this," Trevour Shachtay told CTV News. "She didn't have any enemies. She didn't get any threats or anything like that."

Victoria Shachtay was killed last week after a mail bomb exploded at her townhouse complex in Innisfail, about 100 kilometres north of Calgary.

The crime has shaken the community and no one has been arrested. Shachtay says he's having a difficult time trying to make sense of his sister's death.

"I need to know, I need to know what happened," he said.

Police said the exploding package was delivered by hand, not through the mail. Investigators say they do not have a suspect yet, but have a number of leads and some information that only the killer would know.

Shachtay describes his sister as a devoted mother to her seven-year-old daughter and an active member of her church.

Victoria Shachtay had been confined to a wheelchair since she was 16, after her spine was injured in a car accident.

Trevour Shactay had a message for his sister's killer.

"I don't know if you're hiding or if you're thinking this is some kind of sick joke but this is killing everybody," he said.

With a report from CTV's Alberta Bureau Chief Janet Dirks

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:59 AM »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
This is like something out of a novel, like a thing that just would not happen in Canada. I can't believe it myself. I mean this is what terrorists do. Who would have the motive to kill her, only the person that was supporting her would benefit in any way. Was the husband paying support for her? The FBI and investigators from every department in forensics of the RCMP should be right up on this. This is something that should be solved very quickly. My condolences to her child and to all of her family members. This is certainly out of the ordinary and a horrible crime to commit against anyone. There was a lot of hate, I would say. Who hated this lady enough to send her a bomb. Hopefully the police can sort that out and have them behind bars very soon. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
cape did I miss something , did you read any where that there was a husband?  If so I missed that.  She had her daughter when she was sixteen right after the car accident but i cant recall any mention of  a husband or even a boy friend could you provide that link if there is one?  Wonder if they have gone as far back in check as to checking on the car accident etc just my thoughts.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
Eyes, sorry, that is my mistake. Because of the mention of of her child, I thought she may have been married or had someone that was ordered to support her. And she really would not have to be married in order for someone to have to pay support to her child. I think this is a very personal motive here and the police should not have to look far to get the murderer that did this. Who would want to send a bomb to a 23 year old woman, unreal. I mean we had Wayne's case, I forget his last name, but that is a high profile murder case and he was killed by a bomb. Nobody was ever charged in that case.  :( :( :( :( :( :(

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »

Cape, I think the name that you are looking for is Wayne Greavette. I've posted the link to his thread below. It is a very short thread.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3133.msg30846#msg30846

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
Yes the hatred must have been intense and assuming that the victim had good relations with all her family members and no one stood to benefit financially from her demise, I can only imagine that a woman whose husband had or was having an affair with the bomb victim would want to do such a thing. A truly sick individual whoever did it.

SAP

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
Yes the hatred must have been intense and assuming that the victim had good relations with all her family members and no one stood to benefit financially from her demise, I can only imagine that a woman whose husband had or was having an affair with the bomb victim would want to do such a thing. A truly sick individual whoever did it.

I'm not going there with speculation and the thought never occurred to me , but if it would be as you imagine, yes that is a pretty sick person and if that would be the case, those persons need to be investigated. If that would be the circumstance, the person would not be safe either living with someone who could do such a sick deed. I hope that people close, turn over every bit of info they can to the police. The beautiful little daughter is now an orphan even though she has loving grandparents, uncles and aunts. That means there never was a known father in the picture, as we know it. The police actually seem to have a few avenues to rule out or in, and they have work cut out for them for sure. My heart is with little Destiny and Vicky's family.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »
The police believe that she was targetted.  Has anyone ever considered that it may have been intended for the caregiver?

JB

SAP

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
The police believe that she was targetted.  Has anyone ever considered that it may have been intended for the caregiver?

JB

I had thought of that as well. I'm sure police will be digging into info and backgrounds on everyone concerned. Perhaps police have already ruled that out though, since they did announce that Vicky was targetted.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
An even worse thought , if it turned out to be radom.  Then in that case no one is safe even in their own home.  Hope this is solved soon.

SAP

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »
The police seem certain Vicky was targetted. Perhaps the caregiver opened the door and received the parcel and saw Vicky's name on it and gave it to her?
That was not clear to me. The parcel was "delivered" and not by regular mail. Did the caregiver get a description of the person delivering it, or was it just left there? It was a fairly new building and not much else around there, so I wonder if there were at least neighbors that saw anyone lurking around.
It could be even someone who is disgruntled with the healthcare system. There are angry people over the fact that individuals get motorized wheelchairs and other government help to maintain their lifestyle and that idea is just so wrong. It would cost much more to have these people in care homes 24/7. Yet some will begrudge these items that keep disabled persons in their own home and living as independent as possible.
I sure hope the police have come up with some leads since they were last interviewed.

SAP

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2067097/Disabled-mother-23-killed-exploding-package-hand-delivered-home.html

There is a video at this link and pictures that show the area where the explosion occurred. In the video there is claim that the caregiver had minor injuries and that whomever delivered the parcel was not seen.