Author Topic: INNISFAIL DISABLED WOMAN KILLED IN APARTMENT EXPLOSION- HOMICIDE  (Read 40367 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: INNISFAIL DISABLED WOMAN KILLED IN APARTMENT EXPLOSION- HOMICIDE
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:51 AM »
What I don't get is what did he have to gain by murdering her? If he had invested her money poorly, was it just to silence? Surely the family would then look into the funds and know they were gone. Something about this doesn't make sense. We were relieved when we found the young daughter was at school when the package arrived, but was that intended as part of the plan? By doing this, how did he believe he would gain?

I see the custody of the daughter has changed from the step-father to the victim's older sister, at least according to the story progression.

According to Malley's neighbours, the accused was best friends with Shachtay's stepfather. Neighbours said Malley and his wife were quiet and rarely seen, and described the charges as "absolutely shocking."

RCMP said Sunday that investigators executed a search warrant at a home in Innisfail on Friday and into the weekend.

Explosives were involved but police say they did not pose any risk to the public.

Malley is scheduled to appear in a Red Deer courtroom on Monday. RCMP said on Sunday they are withholding details until Monday morning.

The victim's sister told CBC News she felt relief after learning Malley had been arrested and charged.

"But the anger and the hurt and everything, it's not going away. It's still the exact same as it was before. We've all suffered and it's not going to stop," Sarah Shachtay said, adding that the victim's daughter is now in her custody.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/accused-in-blast-that-killed-alberta-mom-handled-her-funds

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Innisfail+charged+mail+bomb+that+killed+young+mother/6686966/story.html

In December 3, 2011, a story had this as the last line of the story.
... Anyone with information on the case is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/03/bombing-victim-a-brave-mom

In December 4, 2011, this was shared:

, who lives in Innisfail, 105 kilometres north of Calgary.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/alberta/Family+friends+mourn+disabled+Innisfail+woman+killed+apartment/5808504/story.html

CCF

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
The man charged was also a former police officer, albeit for a short time 20-30 years ago (the article doesn't specify, it just says "decades") for an unspecified municipal police force.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/28/accused-alberta-bombing-killer-former-cop

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
 Follow the money. The financial manager must have embezzled the victim. It's not that hard to do and he probably got her to sign a bunch of forms or cheques that allowed the money to flow in his direction. Perhaps he even opened a second bank account in her name to facilitate. She was young when she got the money and perhaps she wasn't good at keeping up on all the details and trusted the accused. Possibly she was about to find out that there was no money left and so he killed her. After all, there is now a trust fund being set up for her young daughter, which would suggest to me that the money has disappeared.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »
I am thinking along the same lines as you, leonagleant.  Maybe the victim was questioning some of Malley's actions.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/06/28/edmonton-malley-innisfail-bombing-bail.html
Alberta bombing suspect Brian Malley granted bail Innisfail man charged with 1st-degree murder in disabled woman's death.

A financial adviser charged in the murder of a disabled Alberta woman was granted bail in an Edmonton courtroom Thursday.
Victoria Shachtay was killed in an explosion after a package was delivered to her home in November. (Facebook)
Brian Malley was released on $10,000 and ordered to live with his wife and mother-in-law in Edmonton.

Details from the hearing are the subject of a publication ban and cannot be reported.

RCMP arrested Malley, 55, last month in connection with the death of Victoria Shachtay of Innisfail, about 100 kilometres north of Calgary.

Malley, also of Innisfail, is charged with first-degree murder, causing an explosion likely to cause harm or death, and sending an explosive device to a person.

Brian Malley, a financial adviser, is charged with first-degree murder. (Amanda McRoberts)
Shachtay, 23, was killed in November 2011 after a package delivered to her home exploded. Her seven-year-old daughter was at school at the time and was not harmed, though Shachtay's female caregiver suffered minor injuries in the explosion.

Shachtay's father, Victor Shachtay, attended the bail hearing. He said he misses his daughter and keeps a close eye on his now eight-year-old granddaughter.

"The last time I saw her, she was doing as well as can be expected," he said outside court. "She still hasn't got the concept of her mother dying or how her mother died. Nobody wants to give her the how, but the fact that she's gone, she hasn't got the concept of death."

Earlier this week, CBC News learned Malley led a troubling personal life.

He and his first wife, whom he married when she was 16, divorced after she accused him of threatening violence and death against her and the couple's daughter.

Malley denied the allegations.

Court documents show Malley was dismissed after a brief stint with the Edmonton Police Service for conduct unbecoming of an officer. He had been found not guilty of possession of stolen property.

Malley's second marriage ended when he became involved with a co-worker, who eventually married him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(While on bail he has to live with his mother-in- law along with his wife?) jb  ;D
Am I reading something into this?  ::)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:51:30 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
Well I hope the mother-in-law is one tough lady! This sounds like it's ex-wife number 2 and her mother, not? He and wife number 3 lived at Innisfail.

This article claims that there was no further income for Vicky and she was broke, when she should have been getting 5,000. per month (interest off the money invested) for the rest of her life. She had to apply for AISH. He embezzled it all.

That certainly is a small bail amount for such a crime of robbery and intent to kill and try to cover his tracks. Anyone who invested through him really needs to go over their financial records with a fine toothed comb.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/27/platt--money-tied-bomb-victim-and-accused
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:30:07 AM by SAP »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
Thank you SAP for posting this article. I am flabbergasted that this man got bail. First degree, and probably extortion as well.  Guess our prisons are too overcrowded?  Not a flight risk?  Is not a threat to the public?
Is this our Canadian Standard??
Sick - very sick indeed.  He should never see the light of day until he is tried.  First degree does not deserve bail!!
I wonder who posted the $10,000 bail?  We will never know, because all has been "locked up to the public".
I am sick and tired of the courts blacking out reporting.  We have a right as a society to know, just as the person charged has a right to a fair trial.
JB

SAP

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
The man has a string of offences and he clearly planned the death of Vicky, imo. House arrest for a career criminal is unfathomable. Unless he is fitted with a tracking device, however, who can assure the general public they are safe with this man out on bail? He will be stressed facing the fact he will be incarcerated for a long time and people under duress are liable to fly off the handle at any minimal provocation. I can't see a way out for him no matter how good his lawyer. There's no excuse around sending a mail bomb to just scare a person. He chose a time carefully so as not to have the daughter in the house and a bomb that did that much damage was not a scare tactic.
I do not understand out justice system!
I guess it may be better that the trial is locked to the public so jurors aren't tainted with public opinion. I don't want to see any loopholes for this man to get off with a lesser sentence which possibly could happen since it has become high profile. It is clear that police did great work on this case and that alone will likely be enough to put him away for a long time. As he should be, for embezzling a large amount of money and then giving a death sentence to the victim.   

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Well said, and -- I am still shocked that this man got bailed outl  He is a slinky person, and a coward, and at the first opportunity - he wil bolt!! That is my take on it.
He will steal the mother in laws, or wife's car, and take off.  Ankle bracelet (if he has one) or not - he will get it off, and bolt!! He knows that his goose is cooked.  No jury looks kindly upon  the fact that a disabled woman with a child to support,  to be not only financially abused, but also blown up to death - leaving her daughter penniless!!
It will be interesting to see who the Defence Lawyer is to step forward to defend him, and what the actual  Defence for this man  will be!!
This should be well worth watching in the court house. The song and dance by Defence.  There will be a media black out, no doubt!! It would be court house only. (As usual - as of late!!)

JB
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:22:07 PM by jellybean »

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 03:12:03 AM »
Fluffer the Dismemberment boy has what's been reported as a ''team'' of high profile defence lawyers, unless something has changed. And this dude is sue whatever he can afford as well, or whatever he can suckhole. That said, I hope he goes to jail, real jail, for a long, long time. But he'll likely say he was addicted to meth and strippers and gambled away his life savings and felt distraught. Then we'd have to coddle him, of course. But anyway.

I, for one, am fine with court blackouts. It removes all ambiguity until proceedings are finished. No one has yet given me a solid reason not to have them in the cases where they exist.

Nish

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
This crime is one of the lowest of the low I have heard of in a long time.  I hope they throw the book at this guy, but the whole joke is that he was given bail, and he will probably run....I agree Jellybean.  And bail was mighty low, if you ask me.

Money is his game, he probably has it set up already so he can run.  Does he have an ankle bracelet?  Is he under house arrest?  I know you already mentioned it Jellybean, but I would love to know those facts.
 How do they not think he is a flight risk whereas it has already been shown that he is a planner.  Why do they not think he would plan what to do once given bail?  This should be interesting, how this goes.

I feel so sorry for the family of Vicky...this is such a horrible crime, so unfair to her little one.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
The only thing we know is that he is out on $10,000 bail and must stay with his mother-in-law and wife here in Edmonton.  Jobo, I am now wondering if he would be given an ankle bracelet. It was an assumption on my part, as I truly think he will not stick around.  He has not been tried nor convicted.
So to any savy posters out there, this is the question;
Can a person out on bail, be made to wear an ankle bracelet? That would constitute a "house arrest" would it not?

I wonder, by law, how that works.  Does any poster know?

JB

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
Where is the special protection for those with special needs?  I'm actually amazed that they haven't taken into consideration that he allegedly [it 1) a woman, her child and caretaker were put in grave risk resulting in one dying. 2) A person with special needs was targeted for murder and murdered, 3) the way the package was delivered gave the impression it was through the country's delivery system, and 4) he took funds from a person with special needs for personal financial gain resulting in murder.

And... he walks on bail. I guess we get to see him at the grocery store, too?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
Concerned, re: See him at the grocery store?  Very possibly!!
There is something broken in our justice system here, in our own country, that we proudly call Canada!
This is Criminal Court, and Federal rules were applied, not Provincial.

JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
I am not the type to hang around the courthouse, with lunch in hand, and sit and suck my teeth in and ooh and ah as to how terrible the "trial is".  But if - this case is held in Edmonton, I will attend. For my own personal reasons, being that she was  a disabled young mother raising her dauthter, she was financially abused, and then,  she was murdered.
All by the same man.

I think that if he is tried in Edmonton, the courhouse will filled to the brim!!

It may be held in Red Deer, the closest proximity to Innisfail, but if he received bail in Edmonton, I am thinking that he would be tried in Edmonton, as it is a larger population - better for the jury pool, should he decide that he wants trial by jury.  Or he may wish to have the trial here, as he may feel that the Judges in Edmonton will go by the letter of the law, and may be more lenient.
If that is the case, I  will be there.  First time for me, ever ----
JB
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:52:18 PM by jellybean »