Author Topic: Dorothy Ann Woods (Carter), 45, Saskatoon, SK, missing November 12, 2011  (Read 46722 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Dorothy Ann Woods (Carter), 45, Saskatoon, SK, missing November 12, 2011
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
What a creep, what a coward and slithery. Why not do the right thing and own up to what he did. Let the children have some peace, be a man an own up. He is still nothing but a coward and it's all about him trying to keep his ass out of jail for 25 years. Yes, this trial is going ahead, but what about a plea bargain, he'll try that, wait and see. A dispicable person and there are many out there like him, so sad to say. So very sad to say. Thank heavens in my lifetime I have not known anyone like this. It is evil that makes someone do this, it is about control, all about control and not wanting to divide up the assets of the marriage. No thought for the children, no thought at all. Totally selfish and cowardly. How can someone turn into such a hateful human being. Walk away, leave, get a divorce, go to another province and start a new life. But no, they know that when the wife and children are gone, THEY ARE ALONE. And you know what, that is failure, failure to provide for the family. Sad, but true. It's all about control. And so many women out there are living in such conditions and don't leave and they could end up like Dorothy some day.  :( :( :( :( :( :(

devlee

• View Profile
Woods murder trial begins today

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/David+Woods+murder+trial+Dorothy+Woods+underway/9784062/story.html

Dorothy Woods was 'deeply unsatisfied' in marriage, murder trial hears

SAP

Thank you JB and Devlee for the updates.
Dorothy will hopefully get justice soon. RIP Dorothy.

jellybean

• View Profile
The victim was walking on very dangerous grounds - and never once saw it?

The story is very disturbing, and I have not posted everything that has appeared in the star phoenix.  Her affairs placed her in dangerous ground within her marriage. There are two sides to every story so they say. No excuse for murder, I'll admit ----- however, sudden jealous rage is blind to its consequences.

Very sad.  I feel terribly sad for the children. The children will never receive justice.  They have lost  a mother, and a father.  There is no justice for them.

jb

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/david-woods-murder-trial-hears-of-collapsing-marriage-1.2625707

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:37:54 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/final-arguments-in-david-woods-murder-trial-today-1.2641977

Final arguments in David Woods murder trial today

Daughter testifies Dorothy Woods was at home night before sudden disappearance

CBC News Posted: May 14, 2014 5:30 AM CT| Last Updated: May 14, 2014 10:13 AM CT

The prosecution and defense will be making final arguments to the jury today at the David Woods murder trial.

Woods is accused of killing his wife Dorothy in 2011 and hiding her body in a culvert south of Saskatoon.
■Follow CBC's Kathy Fitzpatrick as she tweets live from the courtroom. Head to the bottom of the page to read the updates 

It's expected the judge will give his instructions to the jury on Thursday.

Daughter says mother was home

Late Tuesday afternoon, Woods' daughter Katelyn took the stand.

She testified her mother was at home the night police believe she disappeared.

After she went to bed, Katelyn testified she heard the front door open and close. She assumed it was her mother going to the bar.

She told the court she didn't hear any arguing between her mother and father that night, and that she heard her father snoring as she was going to bed.

The 18-year-old testified she had once had a strong relationship with her mother, but that had changed in recent months.

"She just didn't want to do anything with me anymore," Katelyn Woods said.

Katelyn testified her mother had been drinking heavily in the months before her mother disappeared, and would occasionally ask her to stay home from school, to look after the children in Woods' home-based daycare.

Lying to police

Earlier in the day, David Woods was cross-examined by the crown prosecutor.

Woods admitted to lying to police repeatedly in the days after his wife's disappearance.

He told police he believed his wife had left the house with a makeup bag, when he had thrown it into a garbage can in the backyard.

Woods also told police Dorothy had a number of credit cards when in fact he had placed them in a locked toolbox in the garage.

Woods also didn't tell police he and his wife had entered into an 'open relationship' in April of 2011.

"You were deliberately lying on multiple occasions to the very people who might be able to locate Dorothy," said crown prosecutor Michael Segu.

"They were just playing me," Woods responded. "They weren't trying to help me."

A mysterious note

Prosecutor Michael Segu also asked Woods about a mysterious note left on his truck in January 2012.

On the stand, he testified he had gone out to lunch that day with his brother and his children and when he came outside there was a note on his truck windshield.

The note directed him to take a drive south on Highway 11, and that he would find information concerning his missing wife.

Woods says he then took a drive to Blackstrap Lake. He didn't know that police had placed a GPS tracker on his truck.

That trip led police to his wife's body.

Police believe he drove through the area after local media reported that a body had been found outside the city

According to Woods, the note has since gone missing.  When asked why Woods didn't tell police or family members about the note, he says it didn't seem important at the time.

"I didn't find anything (during the trip)" said Woods. "Why would I tell anyone?"

Prosecutor Segu compared the note to a 'unicorn', saying Woods was the only one who had seen it.

CBC's Kathy Fitzpatrick is covering the story. Follow her tweets live from the courtroom.

devlee

• View Profile
Saskatoon man found guilty of first-degree murder in death of his wife

Bre Mcadam, Ckom, The Canadian Press
Thu, 15 May 2014 21:07:00 CST

SASKATOON - A Saskatoon man painted in court as a husband angered by his wife's many sexual dalliances with other men was found guilty Thursday of first-degree murder in her death.

David Woods was convicted by a jury of nine women and three men of strangling Dorothy Woods and dumping her body in a culvert south of Saskatoon between Nov. 11, 2011, and Jan. 4, 2012.

The Crown had argued David Woods killed his wife due to the looming stress of a divorce and the financial issues that would ensue.

The defence suggested he had been framed by the real killer and evidence planted in his garage.

Dorothy's relatives gasped at the verdict, many breaking into tears. Some thanked the jurors as they left the courtroom.

The court then heard victim impact statements from friends and relatives who described her as an amazing mother and daycare operator and "the life of the party."

Woods, who was sentenced to life with no parole for 25 years, said "no" when asked by the judge if he had anything to say.

Court heard testimony throughout the trial that the couple's marriage was on the rocks and that Dorothy had sexual encounters with multiple men.

Elizabeth Tawpisin testified that Dorothy, her best friend, told her that David would "kill her" if he found out about her dalliances with a couple of black men because he didn't like black people.

A couple of Dorothy's lovers, Wayne Lewis and Derrick Brown, testified they had received racist, threatening text messages from Dorothy's phone and believed they had been sent by her husband.

Crown prosecutor Michael Segu told the jury in closing arguments that after an argument, David knocked his wife unconscious, tied her wrists together and strangled her with a piece of rope used to tie down the family's pool tarp.

Segu suggested he then stored her body in a structure underneath the pool for a day while he bought polyurethane to wrap around her body and rope to replace the one used to strangle her.

Segu also questioned David's testimony that he and his wife were in an open relationship, wondering why he would then send angry text messages to her lovers and tell police that his wife was cheating.

The prosecutor noted that after media reported a woman's body had been found outside the city, David's truck was tracked by police GPS driving out to the area where Dorothy's body was found two days later.

Segu suggested David had "panicked," not knowing the media report was about a completely unrelated case.

(CKOM)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:31:45 AM by debbiec »

jellybean

• View Profile
This whole thing is a very tragic story isn't it. To think that her children will carry that with them for the rest of their lives.   
JB
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:49:03 PM by jellybean »

SAP

It is very tragic JB. When all the details came out, I just never knew what to say.  I hope the children can heal and I hope they are with relatives who will love and support them. The girl was 18 and I assume there is a younger child also.

RIP Dorothy. Mr. Woods is where he needs to be so he can rethink his obsession with not wanting to part with money through a divorce. In USA he would have gotten more than 25 years, I'm sure. 

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
Here is the ending to this very tragic marriage.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1352217/david-woods-appealing-first-degree-murder-conviction/Woods, 51, was given a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years in the death of his wife, Dorothy.

SAP

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
He can appeal all he wants; doubt it will make any difference.

When asked why Woods didn't tell police or family members about the note, he says it didn't seem important at the time.

It was a note stating where Dorothy could be found apparently and it didn't seem important?????!!!!! Especially after she was missing for some time? I don't believe there was a note.

SAP

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-wife-killer-david-woods-appeals-conviction-1.2654333

Appealing first-degree murder conviction. (CBC)

Convicted killer David Woods wants a new trial.

A jury in Saskatoon decided on May 15 that Woods had, in fact, murdered his wife Dorothy in November of 2011. Woods filed his appeal papers with the province's Court of Appeal on Friday.

Four grounds listed

Woods lists four grounds for appeal.

The decision is contrary to the law, and the evidence.
The judge should not have admitted text messages from Dorothy's cell phone.
The judge should not have admitted statements that Dorothy made to a close friend.
The judge favoured the prosecution when he gave his charge to the jury.
Woods is requesting a new trial, again with a judge and jury.

David Woods was charged with first-degree murder after his wife's body was discovered in a culvert near Blackstrap Lake in January, 2012. She had been bludgeoned and strangled and then wrapped in a plastic tarp.

She had gone missing that November.