Author Topic: Missing-Unknown-1955-1965  (Read 6217 times)

AnonymousOntario

• View Profile
Missing-Unknown-1955-1965
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »
I have information about a man who disappeared while on a journey from Newfoundland to Toronto.  I don't know his home location.  He had friends or relatives in or near Belleoram.  I heard many place-names such as Fortune Bay and St. John's, so this man could be from anywhere.  If you think this is familiar in any way, even if the dates are wrong, I welcome your reply.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:37:27 PM by AnonymousOntario »

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
Re: Missing-Unknown-1955-1965
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
Here is the number of NL Crimestoppers: 1 800 222-TIPS (8477).  You really should call them if you have info. As far as I know you can remain anonymous.

AnonymousOntario

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
Here is the number of NL Crimestoppers: 1 800 222-TIPS (8477).  You really should call them if you have info. As far as I know you can remain anonymous.

Thank you.  I wrote to them earlier this year with my full contact information but no reply as yet.  I also contacted the RCMP for advice because more than one province is involved.

I strongly believe the best information will come from someone who knows about this man.  He had caring relatives.  This could be a more comfortable forum than a police interview.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
That is disturbing that you haven't heard back from them.
The only missing person I could find in that time frame was for Alexander Whitehorne, aged 17, who was supposed to take a bus to Gander but was never seen again. The RNC site has no missing at all and the RCMP only lists the more recent missing people.
There is an open line show with a toll free number should you feel inclined.
Wish I could help. Sorry.

AnonymousOntario

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:38:17 AM »
That is disturbing that you haven't heard back from them.
The only missing person I could find in that time frame was for Alexander Whitehorne, aged 17, who was supposed to take a bus to Gander but was never seen again. The RNC site has no missing at all and the RCMP only lists the more recent missing people.
There is an open line show with a toll free number should you feel inclined.
Wish I could help. Sorry.

Thank you for your reply.  Please tell me more about the open-line show.

About the missing man: I wonder what makes a missing person noteworthy?  Perhaps with no evidence of a crime, the disappearance of an adult man would not raise much lasting concern.  I believe the police were notified but it was long ago.  The remaining family are the ones who will remember best.

I thank everyone for their interest.  The response from the forum is better than I expected.

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
You're very welcome.
The open line show is on VOCM. They have a website. The morning show is from 9 to 11:30 AM NL time. The afternoon show is from 2 to 4 PM NL time and there may be one in the evening, too, but I'm not sure about that. There is a toll free number from outside the province but I don't know what it is. It should be on the website. I believe you can also contact the hosts via e-mail from the site.
The local newspaper for St. John's is the Evening Telegram should that be of any use.
I think part of the problem with this missing man is that it is so long ago plus the fact that word didn't get around like it does now. It's possible he has no relatives alive, too. Back then, I doubt the police put much time into the disappearance of a grown man. Also, depending on where he came from, maybe the resources just weren't available-especially in a small place.
If you know this man's name it may be possible to track his family down through genealogy.
Good luck.

dardanelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »
Did anything ever come of this?? Did anyone ever figure out who this man was?