Author Topic: Taylor Van Diest - 18 - Murdered - Oct. 31, 2011 - Armstrong, BC  (Read 65183 times)

solvy

• View Profile
By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Tuesday Nov. 1, 2011 4:59 PM PT

Police now believe that the B.C. teen who died after being found severely injured near a railroad track was murdered.

An unconscious Taylor Van Diest, 18, was discovered by friends and family lying in a bushy area about 10 feet away from the tracks in Armstrong Monday night, about an hour after she was reported missing.

She was taken to hospital in Vernon then transported to Kelowna, but eventually succumbed to her injuries.

Investigators say that Van Diest was last seen going out for Halloween, but it is not clear whom she was meeting. RCMP are asking anyone who may have seen her that evening to call their local detachment.

Friends of the murdered teen told CTV News that she was a quiet girl who was kind to others.

Armstrong Mayor Chris Pieper says the small town has been deeply impacted by Van Diest's death.

"I was in the downtown earlier today and I just saw two young people hugging and one of them was crying," he said.

The teen was found just steps from a daycare.

art-hu

• View Profile
Re: Taylor Van Diest - 18 - Murdered - Oct. 31, 2011 - Armstrong, BC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
Vancouver RCMP are investigating the suspicious death of 18 yr. old Taylor Van Diest from Armstrong B.C. who was found unconcious in a bush area by a railroad track and later died in hospital.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/11/02/18912696.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:24:11 AM by art-hu »

Livvy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
Rest in Peace Taylor.  I hope they find the killer(s) soon.... I can't imagine how this community is feeling!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/slain-teen-texted-she-was-being-creeped-shortly-before-attack/article2222808/

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
This is horrible news.   A young lady going out for Halloween fun...found murdered in Armstrong.

I google-mapped Armstrong, and then Salmon Arm and they are 39 km apart.  The reason?   Pamela Jones (older lady) found murdered in her carport in August just outside Salmon Arm.   Unsolved.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Friday Nov. 4, 2011 3:51 PM PT

An autopsy has been completed on murdered B.C. teen Taylor Van Diest, but Mounties aren't saying anything about how she was killed on Halloween night.

The 18-year-old died in hospital Monday after she was found unconscious and severely injured near the railroad tracks that run through the small Okanagan town of Armstrong.

At an RCMP press conference Friday, spokesman Gord Molendyk said that police are holding back the results of an autopsy completed a day earlier because they don't want to compromise the investigation.

He did, however, release more details of Van Diest's movements on the night she was killed.

Investigators now believe that the slain teen was last heard from at 6 p.m., 10 minutes after she left her family home to meet up with someone. She was dressed in a zombie costume at the time.

Friends say the last word from Van Diest was a text message to her boyfriend reading, "I'm being creeped."

Molendyk told reporters that her phone was found along the train tracks at 7:30 p.m., a little more than an hour she was was discovered lying gravely injured in a bushy area about 10 feet from the railway line.

Van Diest's family says that her boyfriend, Colton Luttmerding, was the one to make the gruesome discovery, but his mother says he is not ready to speak to the media.

In an attempt to solicit more tips in the murder, RCMP set up a roadblock Thursday evening near the place where Van Diest was found. Officers showed drivers Van Diest's picture, and asked if they had seen anything unusual on Halloween.

A suspect has yet to be identified, but more than 40 officers are working on the investigation.

With files from CTV British Columbia's Kent Molgat

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
Memorial today..

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-66959-26-.htm#66959

Good collection of news articles in the above link. Of interest, Police still don't know who she was going to meet and why she was in that area. Community on high alert.

The community of Armstrong is reeling from several tragedies that recently struck the Okanagan city.

The shocking Halloween murder of teen, Taylor Van Diest, has residents concerned for their safety and praying for answers.

Van Diest was found clinging to life by the side of train tracks on Monday evening, she was rushed to hospital, but never recovered.

At 2:30 Sunday afternoon the community will come together, in Armstrong's Memorial Park, to remember Van Diest along with the two children who perished in a motor home fire in Lytton last month, and an 18-year-old man who died in a work place accident in September

Photo: Contributed
Ava-Mae Classen and Austin Mitchell Classen, died in a motor home fire.Police say they have no suspects in connection with Van Diest's homicide and are advising public to be vigilant until her killer is caught including traveling in groups.

Police are also asking for anyone who may have received electronic messages or photos from the victim to contact authorities. RCMP add that solving this case is their number one priority. What police are unclear about is where Van Diest was going or who she was going to meet.

RCMP have 30 officers working on the case.

A trust fund has been set up for the Van Diest family to help cover expenses. Donations can be made to Valley First Credit Union (803536).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:27:43 PM by D1 »

Livelife29

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
That is weird that she was not meeting her boyfriend or anyone she was texting.  In a small town, you would think it would be easy to narrow down who she was meeting from her circle of friends.  On Halloween wouldn't you be meeting your close friends?  Boyfriend?   Tell your parents who you were meeting?  The police were unclear about who she was meeting...does that mean they don't know or they are not saying?

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
Live, that seemed to be phrased strangely didn't it?  I agree, what boyfriend would not know where she was for that time frame, none I ever dated.  Did she have to go down along the tracks to get to a party that night?  seems a strange place to meet up with someone anyway.

Livelife29

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
The police seem to hold back the strangest of details.  In this case the cause of death and who she was meeting.  No boyfriend I have ever known does not know where you are going, who you are going with and when you'll be back although they are not always forthcoming with their information! 

I just watched one of the videos from your link.  Her aunt says she was meeting a longtime friend and that it was common for them to meet halfway (she points up and down the tracks at this point). 

What is also weird is that they recovered her cell phone but they are still asking anyone who got a text message or photo from her to contact police...can't they figure out who she was texting with the information from her cell phone?  Were texts erased before the phone was dropped near the tracks? 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:12:32 PM by Livelife29 »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
Live guess they want to be sure it was her texting, perhaps the killer texted or they think he did, IMO

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
Bit of a head scratcher right now. The friend said Amber's text to her was cut off in mid stream. The bf said Amber texted him to say she was being creeped. The police said Amber's last text was to her bf. Seems to be some conflicting accounts. The phone likely holds (or held) the answers. Again, the Police hold back what they do for reasons unknown to us. Seems they could answer the question they posed by themselves.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:01:19 PM by D1 »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
Just in response to some of the posts.  I am not a young teen but even when I was , as well as when I was married my boyfiend , husband, did not know where i was every second.  May things came of throught the course of a day and I never felt the need to report in , nor did they.  Just my thoughts on thinking the boyfriend should know where she was every second she wasnt with him.  Many people are independent,  I tend to think it is a needy person who needs to know where some one is every second.  just my opinion

Livelife29

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Good point Eyes...the killer(s) may have texted someone and deleted the text.  Could they not just check the cell phone records to see who she called or texted? 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/11/06/bc-armstrong-memorial.html

Hundreds mourn in Armstrong, B.C.CBC News

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 5:13 PM PT

Last Updated: Nov 6, 2011 5:07 PM PT

An estimated 400 people gathered at a memorial in Armstrong, B.C., on Sunday. (Brady Strachan/CBC)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:32:52 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile