Author Topic: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011  (Read 1021016 times)

HollyP

• View Profile
Re: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011
« Reply #750 on: October 19, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
small amount of front parking. about 20 feet feet from the street maybe? There is no sidewalk on that side of the street, only on the opposite side.

natesgirl1977

• "Every contact leaves a trace." Edmond Locard
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
Across from the Elk's Club is where the shoe was found, I believe.

HollyP

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 19, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
Yes nates that is where the pic in the paper was taken. One of the cameras in the parking lot does point at the street. I'm not sure if it would show something all the way across to the other side or not. But it does point in that direction from the corner of the building that is farthest away from Dooley's.

Oryx

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Amber-Kirwan-Missing-Oct911/205367786203259?sk=wall&filter=1

This is the Official FB webpage moderated by the girls friends and family with official updates, no hearsay, no rumors, if those on the page would like to share their support for Amber and her loved ones.

natesgirl1977

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 19, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
Across from the Elk's Club is where the shoe was found, I believe.
is that between dooly's n al's

Yes, you are correct.  Not sure of the cameras there, though.  I was in there once with my brother years ago.  We hadn't stayed long as I am a female. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 19, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
So the Elk's Club is across the street from Big Al's? Directly across the street?
Put your thinking caps on, why would you walk on that street where the Elk's Club is?  Better lighting? It has a sidewalk, and the street leading up to Big Al's does not?
Oops I think I misread.  So the Elk's Club is on the same side of the street as Big Al's. And the Elk's Club is between Dooley's and Big Al's.  Am I right?
I am trying to picture where the shoe was found. Now it is across from the Elk's club. Would that be on the same side of the street that Big Al's is on?
Help! :)
JB
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:38:09 PM by jellybean »

SAP

« Reply #756 on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
Oryx, thank you for this post of Mariea Leil-Bowser. Like I thought, Mason was not dipping into the fund money.
Mariea should not have had to explain herself like she did, with as little time she has since she puts in 16 hour days volunteering, as well as work.
This is not new though, people complaining and asking where donations have gone, will go. I have seen it in other cases across the country.
Mariea is so right, it's no one's business.

OK someone is asking where was Mason at 1:30. When Amber didn't meet him, perhaps he went back home since he had some friends there? There is an article which states that he tried to call the friend whose cell Amber used, as well as texted her at 2:30. Sounds like he was concerned enough to call the last number Amber contacted him from. Then when no one answered, he may have thought that Amber stayed the night with the friend and by morning realizing something was not quite right.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 19, 2011, 09:36:10 PM »
I've been thinking long and hard about this. Indulge me in this scenario, please?

So it's 1:30 a.m. - Amber walks off. She's cold, she's tipsy, her feet hurt, and when she gets to Big Al's, Mason's not there. Maybe he's often a little late or something, so she decides to walk on. He said they'd had this arrangement in the past, right? She figures she'll meet up with him in a few minutes. She stays on the other side of the street, maybe Big Al's cameras don't go quite that far, or maybe a couple cabs happened to pass by at the same time she might've been captured for an instant.

Only he knows it's Thanksgiving, knows he shouldn't be driving, so he decides to avoid the areas the police are known to be, and takes High Street, figuring he'll cut down along one of the side streets before Big Al's. They miss each other entirely.

So the boyfriend pulls into Big Al's for a minute or two, knows he's a little later than expected (hey, he took the back streets, takes a little more time). Maybe he pulls ahead to the legion parking lot to see if he can see her up the street. She's not there either. He texts her friend's cell, doesn't get an instant response, figures they're having another drink. Maybe he sees the cops and decides to drive his friend home and get away from the police.

By this time, Amber's over by the graveyard, an area that's always personally creeped me out because it's so dark. Maybe someone pulls over then. Maybe she knows who it is and gets in - what if it was someone from the party, he tells her he was sent to get her because the boyfriend was drunk, or perhaps someone who had a crush or something on her and wanted a shot to press his case. Maybe she doesn't know the driver, and no one's around to hear her scream. Maybe someone overheard her plans to walk, slipped something into her drink and she's feeling the effects by then?

There's a lot of possibilities here. I can envision that scenario very easily. I, personally, don't think it was a stranger abduction; I also don't think it's the boyfriend, because I can't imagine her family and friends being so supportive of him if they thought for even a second it was.

I don't think the boyfriend is getting a fair shake. He doesn't know how to handle this, and people are picking him apart for trying to be honest. I don't think it's fair to blame the media, either, at least not the local ones. Look at the Evening News, they haven't been printing every rumor the way the tv has, they've been pretty darn fair, I think. Heck, one of the cbc clips practically has the boyfriend tried and convicted.

Yes, it's hard to put the areas they're searching out of your mind - I drove down that way recently and it tugged at my heart when I saw the couple's name on their mailbox, and it really IS right there where they're searching - closer distance than the 3.5 min walk from Dooly's to Big Al's. I won't speculate why that's where they're searching, but I'm sure there are different scenarios you could dream up to make that work with any scenario, too.

Someone told me the other day that the water under the Big Gut Bridge has a wicked undercurrent, which I hadn't realized - looked pretty shallow to me. :( Either way, I hope that they find her soon, because I am concerned that this frenzy can't go on much longer. Every one of us - teens, adults, even kids - are exhausted by the emotional toll this is taking. I see one of the churches has stepped up to plan a service; I think it's about time. I think the entire community is a little afraid to step up and say no, stop this, now, because no one wants to be the cruel person who takes hope away from someone or takes away the busy work being done that's keeping everyone distracted. Because that is what's happening, as they get more and more desperate, they're coming up with wilder ideas (parade), and no one's sitting them down and saying stop this, now.

I'm beginning to wonder, though, what will happen if they don't find her soon. We all know that sometimes it can take years. This community can't take that right now, everyone is so invested in the situation and waiting for it to come to a head. These desperate events are going to have to stop, and eventually, the volunteer group are going to have to go back to their lives and not occupy a rec centre for 12 hours a day. Life is going to have to move on, but no one wants to admit that yet, and it's concerning me a lot.

teachlove

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 19, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
Please allow me to offer my perspective on the fact that Amber was last seen at 1:30am and was not reported missing until later the next day. (Sunday...Thanksgiving)
I used this as a teaching opportunity for all my children!  (i realize Amber's situation is a bit different since living with her bf and not parents)

My son was also out that night. He met a group of friends at a friends house for a few drinks and then they went to Dooley's. After he left Dooley's he and some friends took a taxi to a friends house where they stayed the night. Then the next morning they had drives to each of their homes. (They have done this before. No one drinks and drives. Parents are happy.) I know the plan and get a text if there is a change in plans. The next day he arrived home late morning or early afternoon.

As a parent I am expecting him to arrive home by about noon. Sometimes it's a bit earlier and sometimes it's a bit later. Sometimes I text to see if I have to do a pick up.
So, my son arrived home BUT...IF he had not arrived home by noon I would be watching the clock and then call or text him to check on his ride. And then, as it got later I would start calling friends and then more friends and as time goes by that is when you would start to panic a little. I hope you get an understanding of what I am trying to say.

At 1:20pm one of Amber's friends posted on facebook, "Happy Turkey Day" she had no idea Amber was missing yet.
Then at 2:00pm same friend posted, "Anybody see Amber Kirwan?" (full name cause there are a few Amber's)
Then at 3:40pm she posted, "...Amber Kirwan where are you!?!? Has ANYONE seen or heard from Amber! She is currently MISSING since dooleys last night!!! "
At 6:52pm the same post is made and then at 6:52pm the post again with the addition of "...please let me or (bf name here) know any information about her."
My son got a text later that night, maybe 8 or 9 saying Amber was missing.
Makes you feel sick to your stomach doesn't it!?

So, the big discussion we had was how important it is for parents and friends to know your plans and don't just assume your friend went with someone else or whatever. It is all very scary, sad and upsetting but in some cases it could very well be that someone is not missed until the next day. Amber's case is a bit different but I hope you understand the point i am trying to make. Thanks for listening.

Oryx

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 19, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
Please allow me to offer my perspective on the fact that Amber was last seen at 1:30am and was not reported missing until later the next day. (Sunday...Thanksgiving)

Not so....a friend posted that Amber was missing on my wall at 10am Sunday morning.

So the Elk's Club is across the street from Big Al's? Directly across the street?
Put your thinking caps on, why would you walk on that street where the Elk's Club is?  Better lighting? It has a sidewalk, and the street leading up to Big Al's does not?

JB

I wish I could make a diagram......

Dooley's is located on Archimedes Street (which turns into Trenton Rd).......as you go through a four way stop just after Dooley's (one way street, sidewalk on the left hand side of the street) The Elk's club is just across from the old Spears Boarding House on the RIGHT side of the street.  As you turn the corner there is a Y in the road, Elks remains on the left side of the Y heading back towards downtown NG, while the sidewalk follows the right side of this Y.......

There is a portion of the intersection that meets a sidewalk area, and there is a sidewalk on the left hand side of the street heading towards Trenton, but ends just after Big Al's.  Before Big Al's there is a used clothing store, a very large parking lot, then directly across from the Elk's club on the left side of this road are a house and the Cadet Hall (?).  On the right hand side of the street across from the Used clothing store are apartments, and huge parking lot.....there should be a better representation of this on Google maps....

natesgirl1977

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
Oops I think I misread.  So the Elk's Club is on the same side of the street as Big Al's. And the Elk's Club is between Dooley's and Big Al's.  Am I right?
I am trying to picture where the shoe was found. Now it is across from the Elk's club. Would that be on the same side of the street that Big Al's is on?
Help! :)
JB

When you are walking from Dooley's to Big Al's the Elk's Club is to your left.  Walk approximately 4 minutes more and you cross the road to get to Big Al's.  There's a little island thingy there too before you get to Big Als where you can cross the street, or just walk a little past Big Al's to the pedestrian crossing to cross the street there.  Google map it!  (use street view and you'll see what I mean)

sad333

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 19, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
Stupid question. why are they searching water for a girl who is missing from a down town area?? The RCMP team is a find team not looking for a live person. I guess they got tips for that area.

fromPC

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
Here are all the facts I have seen or read through the media

Amber Kirwan is missing
She was to meet her bf at Big Al's walking from Dooly's
She was never seen again after leaving Dooly's
It is out of her character to not let her bf or family know where she is
Police and SAR searched starting at Dooly's and working their way towards Pictou Landing(where bf and Amber live)checking the river, wooded areas and empty buildings along the way
Police and SAR searched the area on Heathbell Rd and at the same time the water surrounding bf and Ambers residence
Bf's car is taken by police
Police and SAR search wooded area around bf and Ambers residence and continued to search water as well

I have been coming on this site for factual links and have been reading everything but that. The one fact you have in your note above that you mention that is not a fact--the police never said that they were searching near the house where they lived. They never mentioned their home, just the media posted a picture of it.
But, the forum is improved with your statement you know,  and as you can see there are very few knowns considering everything else that has been said on here.

catacholamine .....here are the statements

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-19/article-2780855/RCMP-continue-search-for-Amber-Kirwan-in-Pictou-Landing-area/1

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-17/article-2778940/UPDATE%3A-Police-focus-search-near-missing-teens-Pictou-Landing-home/1

teachlove

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
Oryx: The posts I shared are from ONE of Amber's friends. Other friends did know that she was missing earlier.
 I copied these times and quotes from this one person's  facebook.
Any by saying she was reported missing...later the next day... I was referring to the Missing persons report to the police.
Gosh, I hope you didn't miss my point. Sorry

SAP

« Reply #764 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
I used this as a teaching opportunity for all my children!  (i realize Amber's situation is a bit different since living with her bf and not parents)

My son was also out that night. He met a group of friends at a friends house for a few drinks and then they went to Dooley's. After he left Dooley's he and some friends took a taxi to a friends house where they stayed the night. Then the next morning they had drives to each of their homes. (They have done this before. No one drinks and drives. Parents are happy.) I know the plan and get a text if there is a change in plans. The next day he arrived home late morning or early afternoon.

As a parent I am expecting him to arrive home by about noon. Sometimes it's a bit earlier and sometimes it's a bit later. Sometimes I text to see if I have to do a pick up.
So, my son arrived home BUT...IF he had not arrived home by noon I would be watching the clock and then call or text him to check on his ride. And then, as it got later I would start calling friends and then more friends and as time goes by that is when you would start to panic a little. I hope you get an understanding of what I am trying to say.

At 1:20pm one of Amber's friends posted on facebook, "Happy Turkey Day" she had no idea Amber was missing yet.
Then at 2:00pm same friend posted, "Anybody see Amber Kirwan?" (full name cause there are a few Amber's)
Then at 3:40pm she posted, "...Amber Kirwan where are you!?!? Has ANYONE seen or heard from Amber! She is currently MISSING since dooleys last night!!! "
At 6:52pm the same post is made and then at 6:52pm the post again with the addition of "...please let me or (bf name here) know any information about her."
My son got a text later that night, maybe 8 or 9 saying Amber was missing.
Makes you feel sick to your stomach doesn't it!?

So, the big discussion we had was how important it is for parents and friends to know your plans and don't just assume your friend went with someone else or whatever. It is all very scary, sad and upsetting but in some cases it could very well be that someone is not missed until the next day. Amber's case is a bit different but I hope you understand the point i am trying to make. Thanks for listening.

Since nothing like this has happened before, none of the teens/young adults would possibly think something could go horribly wrong. As you mentioned, how your son and his buddies act responsibly and don't drive after drinking, rather stay at one place ... parents know more or less when to expect them home, and I believe that Mason probably didn't worry b/c he thought Amber was safe with friends.
Great point you have made.